What's new

Newbie needs help buying speakers ..... (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
This is my first post. Woohoo! :)

Anyways, I've always had a crappy home theatre setup my entire life (I'm 23). My last setup was a Kenwood 350 watt amp + Celestion centre ($100) + Prolinear fronts (175$) + Enery Take 2.2 rears ($150). After 6 years of listening to a crappy reciever and low-end speakers, one of my friends invited me over to his place to watch a movie on his new HT setup. WOW! I was floored. I never knew a movie could sound that good (I could actually feel the bass in my chest and I would flinch at the fast crisp highs). His system comprises of a high end HK reciever combined with a big Nuance Center speaker, 7ft tall Nuance fronts (with built in subs) and 5ft Nuance's for the rears. The whole setup cost him well over $6000 CAD.

I'm not that rich and I don't have a lot of money to spend like my friend, but I wanted a nice HT setup of my own. I decided to go down to some stores around town and window shop for good affordable components. The first thing I picked up was a reciever. After alot of research and listening, I purchased the Denon 1803. The amp provided great high end and clarity, but most important, it was some what affordable. After many years of listening to Pro-Logic, I was more than impressed with the upgrade to digital 5.1. Now after 6 months of watching movies and listening to music, I am still happy but know my cheap front speakers (including the centre) are limiting the overall sound quality from the Denon. I don't really care too much about my rears as they sound great and are rarely used. But I was really looking at upgrading my Fronts and Centre. I've listened to Klipsch (RB-25, RC-25, and RF-3) and they sound great in movies but not so "natural" for music. Then I listened to some Energy Connoisseurs and was floored by the musical reproduction. The Energy's were almost a clear choice for me until I tried out some Misson m34's. Wow, it sounded very similar to the Energy C5's but it had more of a "crisp" high end to it.

I'm a big fan of a electronic band named "Orbital", so I brought my CD down to the local store that had these Mission and Energy speakers. I played a song called "Chime" and I could hear certain "ambient" sounds on the Missions that I could also hear on the Energy's, but it was no where near as pronouced and clean. My choice after this test was to go ahead and buy the Missions, however, I didn't want to rush my purchase so I held off for the moment.

I have held off on buying any speakers because now I'm not sure about one thing, will I become more of an audiophile as time goes by and learn to dislike my selection in speakers ? I basically don't want to spend $1000 CAD on a pair of fronts that sound great right now, but as time goes on I will come to dislike. What I am asking is for some of you "audiophiles" to give your opinions on Klipsh References, Energy Connoisseurs, and most important, the Mission "M" series (or any other speakers that sound great with a Denon reciever). Your ears have more experience than mine without a doubt. Thanks in advance!!!!

Oh, my room is about 10x20 and has carpet throughout.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the forum Joe,

Hate to be the one to tell you but those Nuance speakers are a scam (Q sound). Now that we have that unpleasantness out of the way the Denon is a good entry level receiver. The other speaker companies you mentioned are all good but since you are in Canada I will recommend you check out Paradigm, and Axiom aswell. There are many other great speaker companies and you should look for a no pressure sales experience. Your ears will have to be the judge but we will give you our opinions if you need them.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Hate to be the one to tell you but those Nuance speakers are a scam (Q sound)
Oh, no problem. I found that out shortly after going to a local "high brow" audio store. I mentioned Nuance and the sales guy laughed and told me the whole story. Oh well, I'll make sure the same thing won't happen to me. I've done some research and I'm definatley gonna check out Paradigm and Axiom. Thanks for the feedback.

Samuel Sonn

Auditioning
Joe,

I have purchased the Axiom Epic 50 HT system myself and have never regretted the decision. I have auditioned a couple other speakers ( klipsch, polk audio, b&w , and paradigm ) and choose the Axiom. I am very pleased with my choice and I am sure if you choose the Axioms too you will be very pleased also.

Samuel Sonn

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Thanks for the suggestion Samuel. I will definatley audition the Axioms. I hope my ears like them, because they are affordable and have good reviews :).

John S

Senior HTF Member
LOL at the Nuance / Bose connection. Also take a look at JBL S-Series, the S38's are the real gem in the line. They are being discontinued.

But Paradigm should be a good match. The other thing that will have the greatest impact on your system is a great powered subwoofer.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
But Paradigm should be a good match. The other thing that will have the greatest impact on your system is a great powered subwoofer.
Oh, believe me, I know :). Right now I want some nice clean natural sound. After I finish paying off these speakers you can bet I'm getting a good sub. Either Paradigm or SVS. I was thinking about getting 2 mid-range subs for the setup actually.

So am I safe to say my setup will out perform my friends $6000 setup ? LoL, it's gonna be awesome seeing the look on his face the first time he comes over to watch a movie :). I'll be like, "yep, it only cost me $2000" :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Since you are from Canada, Paradigms are a real bargain. The list price for these is the same Candadain and US dollars. I would suggest you look at speakers in the Performance or Monitor series. There are a lot of choices that should fit your budget.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It will be impressive for sure.....

My core system, I feel contends well with the $10K systems.

Denon 4802
Velodyne 15" Powered Sub
JBL s38's all the way around

That was $3k by the way.

Enjoy your upgraded HT and music!!!

My bro-in-law has an around $500 system, that is maybe even 95% as good as what I have, just to give you some ideas of what is possible. I am shocked by the performance he is getting out of the socalled bargain stuff.

His core system:
Onkyo SR501
AR 12" Powered sub
6 NS-6490 Yamaha speakers (8" Woofs, 3 way)

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the PSB Image Series. A pair of 4T or 5T fronts and an 8C or 9Ccenter. I'm running the 5T's and a 9C center, along with 2B surrounds. It really does rival quite a few higher priced systems for both music and movie sound at a bargin price.

Jamie=B

Auditioning
One thing I have found is HT is like drag racing.. For a minimal amount of money you can join in and have fun..Once you get to a peak level even the minimal addition in quality will cost more than getting in the hobby. Basicly you can run a 9 sec race but to get you car to a 8.5 sec run will cost a mint.. comes down to what its worth to you..

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!!! :D

I'm gonna head down to a place called Audio Arc on thursday to audion Axiom, PSB, JBL, and Paradigm speakers. The sales guy sounded very nice and low pressure over the phone. I'll let you guys know what I end up with (if I get anything at all.

One thing I have found is HT is like drag racing.. For a minimal amount of money you can join in and have fun..Once you get to a peak level even the minimal addition in quality will cost more than getting in the hobby. Basicly you can run a 9 sec race but to get you car to a 8.5 sec run will cost a mint.. comes down to what its worth to you..
My wife is already giving me a hard time for upgrading the existing setup. I think my addiction will only get worse. That seems to be the case with me and my expensive hobbies. Why can't I have inexpensive hobbies anyways ? First it was computers (and still is), then it was DVD collecting (still is), and now it's Home Audio ..... will it ever end ??? Oh well, you only live once right ? :)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Regarding the previous post. I would like to avoid upgrading my speakers in the future (after this purchase). Maybe I'll increase my budget from $1000 to $1700 .... It might pay off in the long run.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would like to avoid upgrading my speakers in the future (after this purchase).
You should probably amend that posting to upgrading...in the near future. I can't remember how many times I've told my wife, "this is the last upgrade." I am sure she has remembered, though.

With a larger budget, I would recommend you give the Paradigm Monitor 7s an audition. I have been happy with mine for over 5 years.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
With a larger budget, I would recommend you give the Paradigm Monitor 7s an audition. I have been happy with mine for over 5 years.
First of all, I want to let you guys know that I'm a computer tech, and that's why I'm posting so often (I'm always on the frickin' computer :) ).

Anyways, the Monitor 7s are exactly my price range. I'll even have enough money (credit :) ) left over to buy the CC370. I can't wait till thursday. I would go tonight but the damn place closes @ 6:00PM monday thru wednesday. Who knows though, I might not even like Paradign Monitors.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I also have the MOnitor series and I would recommend them but I cant say the same for the customer service. AS for the sub, get one good one instead of two midrange subs. I learned the hard way and now have three subs I dont use anymore.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I also have the MOnitor series and I would recommend them but I cant say the same for the customer service. AS for the sub, get one good one instead of two midrange subs. I learned the hard way and now have three subs I dont use anymore.
Thanks for the heads up! Any reason why though ? It sounds logical to get 2 mid-range subs. You would think it would make the bass less centralized .....

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
This is from my own experience. I have had 5 subs in two years and have found that the best solution is one good sub. By seperating the subs you can end up with areas in the room which are very loud and others where there is no bass at all. I have tried using up to 4 subs at the same time and always found that the best solution was to stack them but still not as good as one better sub. If you like low bass then one good sub will do the job better than two mid level subs but YMMV. As far as making the bass less centralized, I believe this can usually be achieved with one sub and proper placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegisav
Recent bookmarks