What's new
World Wide Stereo

Processor or AVR Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
My pre-pro Rotel RSP-1066 is really dated. I bought it new around 02 or 03. No HDMI at all.

So, if I decided to go with a new pre-pro or AVR and I set a budget of $700. I need at least 5.1 pre-outs and 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out, 4K capable.

I see an Emotiva MC-700 that is in range, and a Yamaha RX-A880. Any other prospective units or suggestions.

I would have to modify my entertainment unit to fit the Yamaha, but the Emotiva would fit. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Outlaw 976 is a little out of your target range at $1K, but that's pretty much it, as far as I know.

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
This is probably too late, but for others reading, dont just think about new products. Some pre-loved items may be just the ticket and be a better buy than something new. It also saves on landfill and allows the seller to buy something else. win win win.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I just bought the Yamaha entry level AVR because my Harmon Kardon died.
The reason I went with Yamaha is because I also own a mixer for home recording. The build quality on the mixer is really good. Knobs are tight and inputs/outputs are not loose. I paid a little more for it but I can tell, it's built to last.
I also had a old stereo receiver by H/K that was really good.
My Harmon Kardon AVR had problems from the beginning. I sent it back to the manufactures for repairs after the first six months. It seemed to have trouble with humidity in the summer in my basement. We'd go away in the summer and when we came back the display was always screwed up until it warmed up and turned it off and on a few times. After this summer it never came back. Common problems with H/K AVRs were specific resistors not powerful enough to hold the current. Eventually they would just burn.
The Yamaha AVR is 5.1 with 4 HDMI ins and a HDMI out. My cinema is medium size so the wattage is about right for it. I'm setting it about -20 DB which is about the same as my H/K was at. I liked the idea of the Yamaha AVR having a microphone to auto adjust the speaker level. The programming for it can be done onscreen through it's flow charts. I'm still trying to figure out the features for the right balance.
It was a little brighter in sound at first but it seems to have warmed up after using it a few times. Audio is sharp no distortion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks