What's new
World Wide Stereo

Roku flicker problem on my Optoma projector (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I've had my Optoma projector for a couple of years now, with no other problems, but from Day 1, it's had a mildly-annoying signal flicker whenever I play streaming video from my Roku 3 device.

The flashing/flicker is exactly like what is seen on this guy's YouTube video:

I've gone into the settings for both my projector and my Roku, but haven't found anything that could solve the problem (unlike the "Deep Color Output" setting on the YT guy's PS3 console, which solved his problem). There's no flicker when I play the Roku on my old Panny plasma, nor any flicker on the Optoma projector when I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime through my Sony Blu-ray player's streaming options (or Netflix streaming through my Dish Network receiver). All of these options go through my Sony A/V receiver, via HDMI, to my Optoma projector.

However, I'd prefer to stream through the Roku 3, since the interface is much faster and less clunky than the Blu and Dish options.

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this, and a possible fix? Thanks in advance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that comes immediately to mind is the length of the HDMI cable to your Optoma. I am assuming that it is longer than the cable to your plasma. If it is, you might try moving the cable from the Optoma to the plasma set and see if the flicker 'travels' with the longer cable to your plasma set.

While this doesn't apply to your description of your signal path, I would share this bit of information.

I had a powered HDMI splitter that sent the signal simultaneously to two outputs (one to a smaller tv and the other to my front projector.) Cable and Blu-Ray playback were just fine with this splitter in the signal path, but a media player ( Western DIgital model that I can't recall) would experience intermittent dropouts where the projector would simply go blank for a split second. Removing the powered HDMI splitter from the display chain and substituting a manual switch in its place resolved the dropouts on the front projector.

Good luck with your problem.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks