What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Very few directors are able to work through different genres and not be able to define themselves in one concrete way or another; George Roy Hill was one of them. While he’s best known for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) and the Oscar-winning The Sting (1973), Hill was underrated and had shown a great versatility through his films in different genres. Coming in between his best known works was Slaughterhouse-Five, a film adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut’s satirical novel. Previously released on DVD by Universal, Arrow has licensed the film for its Blu-ray debut.

Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)

Released: 15 Mar 1972
Rated: R
Runtime: 104 min

Director: George Roy Hill
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi, War

Cast: Michael Sacks, Ron Leibman, Eugene Roche, Sharon Gans
Writer(s): Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (novel), Stephen Geller (screenplay)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review. I'm probably going to skip this BD release as I bought iTunes HD digital for $4.99 back in late 2018. I tried watching the movie not too long ago when this BD release was announced, but got side-tracked about 30 minutes into the movie. I'll try to finish it now that it's been released.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I must finally see this. I remember seeing it on the vhs shelf maybe and definitely in various books about movies when in my teens. I never rented it though. Will get this. Can't imagine how it might make me feel, like Solaris? A boy and his dog? Stalker? Barbarella!1 lol

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I must finally see this. I remember seeing it on the vhs shelf maybe and definitely in various books about movies when in my teens. I never rented it though. Will get this. Can't imagine how it might make me feel, like Solaris? A boy and his dog? Stalker? Barbarella!1 lol

It is very much worth seeing, imo. One of the more underappreciated movies of that time. Highly entertaining. Often astonishing in how well it handles the time jumping elements. Rather wonderful performances down to the smallest roles. Haunting. You will never forget some scenes and sequences.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It is very much worth seeing, imo. One of the more underappreciated movies of that time. Highly entertaining. Often astonishing in how well it handles the time jumping elements. Rather wonderful performances down to the smallest roles. Haunting. You will never forget some scenes and sequences.
ooooooooo... you are definitely building it UP! lol I think I know now what I'm in store for, just like the others ones I mentioned, maybe not the same, just same kind of experience.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I remember Valerie Perrine's boobs. Otherwise... not so much!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I should try to see the movie again sometime. I saw it in the theatre when it came out and found it completely incomprehensible. I left with a “What The F&@K Was That?”! attitude. Of course I felt the same about “2001”, and I have learned to really appreciate that.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I should try to see the movie again sometime. I saw it in the theatre when it came out and found it completely incomprehensible. I left with a “What The F&@K Was That?”! attitude. Of course I felt the same about “2001”, and I have learned to really appreciate that.

There have been several time jumping style movies made since. And I am not sure if this was the first or just one of the first ones. Maybe most audiences were not prepared for it. I suppose Citizen Kane could fall into that time jumping category. But in that one there are onscreen characters introducing the out of chronological order sequences. That isn't the case with Slaughterhouse-Five.

I'm thinking most people who haven't seen it assume it is a heavy, philosophical drama. Actually, it is a highly entertaining, often quite funny, occasionally whimsical sci-fi movie that is however based around a very serious historical event.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks