What's new

SOUND OF MUSIC 4K restoration and 70mm reissue??? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Bridge on the River Kwai seems to be the oldest film to get a 4K release. The next oldest is may be Close Encounters of a Third Kind. So not much love yet for older films in 4K. 2001 is coming soon. Small pickings from the 1960's roadshow films.
Three of the best looking 60ies roadshow productions are Mutiny on the Bounty, Fall of the Roman Empire and Cheyenne Autumn. Two have been released as inacceptable or at least very soft looking Blu-rays and the third one not at all.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I am very sad. The big-negative movies and roadshows are exactly the things i want on 4K. 2001 will be the first real one. [I do have Mediterranean Holiday/Flying Clipper that was filmed in 70mm but it is not very good.]

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This thread (and maybe a couple more) all speak of flaws in the sound and picture quality of prior transfers.
Just wondering if there are any known reasons, obstacles or person(s) that would prevent these fixes from finally happening?
I mean, after all, we're talkin' 4K/UHD. And, from every account within my awareness, Mr. Shawn Belston is a champion of our film heritage. As it is, I've been pretty darned thrilled by his works and efforts throughout these past years. [and "No", I've never known or met him].
So, what here is actually to take place from within the studios or labs, in order to gain that sought after nirvana effect from "The Sound of Music"; as seen in its premiere roadshow week?

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yet if I'm not mistaken you luv both The King and I and Hello Dolly's images?

Why do you ask if you already know the answer? Answer that. Yes, I have little problem with The King and I because I'm a fan of Leon Shamroy's lighting - is it TOO blue - who knows, but it is hardly TEAL, which is what everyone keeps saying, and then of course not one person who hates the Blu-ray and feels they've BLUED it to death can explain why the scenes in the beginning in the palace where there is not a trace of blue can be so accurate (the YELLOW scenes). But I'm not having this discussion with you because I understand what you're trying to do here. As to Hello, Dolly! you've gone on and on about your problems, none of which I have actually seen on the Blu-ray I own, which is wonderful. Not an overblown sky anywhere - overCAST, yes, blue when it wasn't overCAST, yes. I'm thrilled you find them travesties. I do not so you can be thrilled for me.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't agree with you more. Some of these posters who dislike the SOM blu-ray have no problem with the teal King and I or the blooming white Hello Dolly blu-rays? I too have an audio file system and the music sounds absolutely perfect. And the image is a VAST improvement over the previous blu-ray- the golds are golden as they were in the theater.
Would I buy it for a missing foley sound or 2? Probably but there are a lot more films in need of fixing- and we can begin with the King and I. Just makes no sense.

While I have less than favorable opinions about the grading of The King and I and Hello Dolly! I prefer to keep them in their respective threads and as it looks as if Fox has changed the grading for the DCP version maybe it is a good time to post again in one of the threads for The King and I.

With that being said you make it seem like there are two different versions of The Sound of Music on Blu-ray, did I miss something and how can I find out if I have the Blu-ray you are writing about or the previous Blu-ray?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The King and I on Blu-ray is solidly indigo blue and bears no relation to the prints I saw in original release and subsequently.

Hello Dolly on Blu-ray is just fine. I also saw it in original release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, let's not veer off rehash discussions of other classic films (The King & I and Hello Dolly) when there is enough to discuss here involving TSoM.

A reference or two is fine--IF it relates to the topic at hand: a new release of The Sound of Music. But all the old disagreements about those other titles do NOT need to be re-opened in this thread.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
While I have less than favorable opinions about the grading of The King and I and Hello Dolly! I prefer to keep them in their respective threads and as it looks as if Fox has changed the grading for the DCP version maybe it is a good time to post again in one of the threads for The King and I.

With that being said you make it seem like there are two different versions of The Sound of Music on Blu-ray, did I miss something and how can I find out if I have the Blu-ray you are writing about or the previous Blu-ray?

Sorry I meant the 5 star dvd- for some reason I thought it was a blu ray. The colors were way off.
However I really don't see how the current TSOM Blu is awful. And I only brought up other titles that are far from perfect yet the select few posters that love those are whining about the current TSOM transfer???
And yes 4K would be nice of course but hopefully without the scrubbed grain and pop colors of the new Grease- which look nothing like what a 70's film looked and not what Grease looked like IMHO.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I meant the 5 star dvd- for some reason I thought it was a blu ray. The colors were way off.
However I really don't see how the current TSOM Blu is awful. And I only brought up other titles that are far from perfect yet the select few posters that love those are whining about the current TSOM transfer???
And yes 4K would be nice of course but hopefully without the scrubbed grain and pop colors of the new Grease- which look nothing like what a 70's film looked and not what Grease looked like IMHO.

Ah, OK thanks for clarifying that. I do not think that The Sound of Music looks that bad but it could use some regrading and work on the audio.

Not as much regarding as other but that would be a futile discussion as it would clog up every other thread when we compare the wrongs in one transfer to another.
For example why would I have an issue with West Side Story when MGM brings us what basically is DVD quality with releases of The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Hallelujah Trail? It still makes little sense to bring them up in a thread about West Side Story as it only will lead to discussions that do not relate to West Side Story anymore, just keep it in threads dedicated to those movies or open a new one if no thread exists for the movie in question.

Regarding 4k Kwai is a very good example of a UHD disc that does not try to make the movie prettier by overdoing it with the grain reduction - I hope Sony will keep things that way and Fox should follow their lead in that regard. They have been very good with not reducing grain and should keep things that way.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Can you point out this "whining" to me? I haven't seen any whining - do you even know what that word means? I've seen people expressing opinions about the current The Sound of Music Blu-ray - opinions - kind of what this board is about. Don't get personal here, really.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The filters have nothing to do with it - the color is off.

Complaining/whining? Choose- your pick.
Posting something not based on fact but solely on your "opinion"?
And btw your posts consistantly slam others that don't agree with you yet you think I get personal?
So here's hoping you get your version of TSOM and I get my King and I and Hello Dolly.
Cheers!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Complaining/whining? Choose- your pick.
Posting something not based on fact but solely on your "opinion"?
And btw your posts consistantly slam others that don't agree with you yet you think I get personal?
So here's hoping you get your version of TSOM and I get my King and I and Hello Dolly.
Cheers!

We're all posting our opinions. People here have most likely learned which opinions they enjoy reading and which they don't, as with most discussion boards. I don't continually slam anyone, whether their opinions match mine or not. And yes, you got personal and you need to stop - now. Oh, and posting online site reviews? Really? Like those are gospel? One of them is slightly more informed than the other, the other not much informed at all. You think I'm the only one that isn't happy with the current The Sound of Music Blu-ray? Because you would be very wrong. I don't find it a travesty, nor have I ever said that. I said I find the color off - and, for me and others, it is.

EDIT: I just went through the entire SOM Few Words About... thread. There are exactly six posts from me in that thread - I didn't even enter the thread until six YEARS later. Three of the six posts are one-line posts that I find the color off - there are many who agree with that assessment throughout that endless twenty-six page thread. My other three posts are about other matters, including my little personal reminiscence of Charmian Carr. Funny, there's no berating or even referencing any other posters or their opinions. And I just scanned this thread and I can't see any here either. In fact, you began the only adversarial post in this entire thread - you - directed at - me. Funny. No one has whined here - that was the word you used. Cheers indeed.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from seeing the national tour of the recent revival of The King and I. It was excellent.

In preparation for the show I re-watched the first half of the movie on Blu Ray. It was definitely tinted more blue than what I would have expected but it wasn't Cyan.

I will get the 4K Sound of Music even though I don't have any large issues with the existing disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.