What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics Ultra 4K HD Collection Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Target is now indicating and October 12, 2021 release date
1632288401622.png

I went ahead an pre-ordered with some promotional gift cards to reduce the price ...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not bad:

Still waiting for Sense and Sensibility as that could look the best of the bunch.

With regard to increased detail The Social Network and Taxi Driver are rather underwhelming and they also seem to come from the same master as previous Blu-ray versions. Oliver! obviously got a new master but is generally a low detail affair - it never ever looked very good so we cannot expect Sony to make it look like My Fair Lady. The two biggest improvements seem to be Stripes and Anatomy of a Murder.

Stripes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Recently, I watched Anatomy of a Murder on iTunes in 4K/Dolby Vision and it looked beautiful on my OLED.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The moment I came home, after three weeks away, I immediately pounced on the Volume 2 set and pulled out Oliver! I was thrilled to discover that the film started with a black screen and an Overture - a sure sign that the 2020-21 restoration was an advancement on the previous restorations. Grover Crisp has written a section in the excellent booklet, detailing what they did with the picture and audio. For the audio, they used the composite mix to make an immersive Atmos mix, as there are no existing separate stems - the same process they used with Lawerence Of Arabia and Ghandi in the Volume 1 release. There is far more bass on this soundtrack, compared to the previous blu-ray and the overall sonic quality is much better than I've ever heard it before.

I can't wait to sample the other titles. This is another fabulous box set - as lovingly assembled as Volume 1. I hope it sells out too - Sony/Columbia's UHD releases are the benchmark of home video excellence.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Got my shipping notice from Deep Discount. Can’t wait.
Did they notify you today? i wasn't sure if they shipped on Saturdays or not. Mine still hasn't shipped from Deepdiscount as of yet. I pre-ordered mine kind of late because i had original pre-ordered at Amazon and switched to Deep for the cheaper price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got an email from Target at 7:40pm ET last night that mine had shipped.

It has left Maryland via UPS and is currently enjoying a stopover in Secaucus, NJ. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got an email from Target at 7:40pm ET last night that mine had shipped.

It has left Maryland via UPS and is currently enjoying a stopover in Secaucus, NJ. :D
Well, it looks like Target isn't much better than Amazon because my order placed with Target on July 2nd still hasn't shipped. Luckily, I'm not in a hurry especially when the actual cost out of my pocket for this set is only $88.61.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The difference between the UHD Anatomy Of A Murder in the Columbia set and the Criterion is HUGE. I just watched the new disc projected and everything - picture, music, sound was vastly improved, compared to the Criterion blu-ray from 2012. Robert Harris awarded the Criterion 5 for picture and sound back then. It's quite a revelation to see demonstrated all the improvements in home theatre technology and video mastering since. My friends, who saw the UHD first and then saw comparisons with the Criterion, said subsequently watching scenes on the Criterion, was like watching a VHS! Afterwards, we watched the UHD of Dr. Strangeglove from last year's Columbia set but the improvement in picture quality from the blu-ray wasn't so pronounced. Amazing what Grover Crisp has achieved.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The difference between the UHD Anatomy Of A Murder in the Columbia set and the Criterion is HUGE. I just watched the new disc projected and everything - picture, music, sound was vastly improved, compared to the Criterion blu-ray from 2012. Robert Harris awarded the Criterion 5 for picture and sound back then. It's quite a revelation to see demonstrated all the improvements in home theatre technology and video mastering since. My friends, who saw the UHD first and then saw comparisons with the Criterion, said subsequently watching scenes on the Criterion, was like watching a VHS! Afterwards, we watched the UHD of Dr. Strangeglove from last year's Columbia set but the improvement in picture quality from the blu-ray wasn't so pronounced. Amazing what Grover Crisp has achieved.
I haven't received my 4K disc yet of "Anatomy of a Murder", but my iTunes HD digital upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision last month or so, and I compared it to that 2012 Criterion BD. My conclusion was the same as yours, there is a significant improvement with the 4K digital over that Criterion BD.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received this email notice on 10/7 from UPS:
1634013064065.png

Further details indicated it was from Target...
I received an email from Target on 10/10 saying it was on the way and had been billed to my card ...Target may be behind in sending the shipping notices...or is waiting to be sure it was received at the shipper before sending out the notice ... both notices have the same UPS tracking number - but final delivery is by the post office (I refuse to call it a "service") so who knows when I 'll get it...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 115853
I received an email from Target on 10/10 saying it was on the way and had been billed to my card ...Target may be behind in sending the shipping notices...or is waiting to be sure it was received at the shipper before sending out the notice ... both notices have the same UPS tracking number - but final delivery is by the post office (I refuse to call it a "service") so who knows when I 'll get it...
Yeah, I got an email saying my Target order shipped.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
View attachment 115853

I can't more highly recommend subscribing to UPS MyChoice which can automatically upgrade all Surepost packages to UPS Ground. $10-20 per year if you find an active promo code (sometime a Free Month or $3 for 3 month trial).

I bet I've had at least 20-30 packages over the last year upgraded. The service recently dropped from $40/yr to 15-20/year

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks