What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Star Wars: A New Hope (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
4K is my reference quality format and once I have something on the format that is it! The only way I repurchase something on 4K is if there is an issue like DNR like Terminator 2

I take it you haven't seen the 4k versions streaming on Disney+? They're sourced from the same problematic 1080p masters used on the old Blu-rays, just upscaled to 4k and given an HDR grade that's net effect is only to make the image much dimmer. (They aren't really HDR, because no highlights extend beyond the SDR range.) They still look over-processesd with grain removal and edge enhancement artifacts.

The UHD Blu-rays are guaranteed to be the same transfers Disney+ uses.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The SE of the original trilogy I have seen a little of on Disney + but still want the discs in my library. It is a must have to have in the library so at any time I discontinue Disney + I will still be able to watch the movies off of disc.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
When I was young we watched a lot of old movies because that's what you got on TV. We had no problem with black and white and we loved Casablanca and the Marx Brothers and Jimmy Stewart...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
But I’ll feel less guilty about it.

I never felt guilt when I bought bootleg CDs or LPs. If that material was available from the artist, I'd buy it from them, but if it's not, no harm done.

I think the "Star Wars" films are trickier because I think it's possible people who would otherwise buy the 4Ks will pass in favor of the boots.

Yeah, I know a lot of people say "no unfutzed with OT, no sale", and I believe many of those claims.

But I also think that for many, they might skip official product and get boots instead because the high-quality boots are out there.

So it's not like this is a Springsteen live show that Bruce didn't make available for sale. Disney will release high-quality versions of the films - they just won't be exactly the versions of those films that people might want...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You can easily download the 4k77 Project version which is the original films in 4k.

I have the original untouched STAR WARS in 4k and it's unbelievably beautiful.

Not sure if EMPIRE and JEDI are finished yet.

I also don't know how this project stands as far as bootlegging is concerned. On the one hand, it should be considered bootlegging, but on the other, it's widely available and as far as I am aware, there have been no efforts to stop its distribution.
I’ve got the HD-ish Despecialized versions and a Grindhouse version. I was unaware of the 4K update, though I’d heard they’d come into original 35mm prints around 2016.

Why are we promoting bootlegs in this thread?
I see a moral difference between stealing to avoid spending money and bootlegging as the only way to get a beloved show/movie/song. It’s akin to importing discs not released in your region. You’re violating the publishers desire to not sell to you, but so what?

As for me: I bought the blu-ray trilogy, and then acquired the real trilogy in HD.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I wanted to share the perspective on why people are willing to spend money on discs they don’t actually want and then spend time searching through the internet’s hive of scum and villainy to get a copy of a beloved film remastered as a passion project by amateurs who are adamant it’s not for sale. :)

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
If the new physical 4K Star Wars discs are just tinkered with versions of the blu-rays, I wonder if it's worth buying. From reading comments on this forum and The Digital Bits, it's my understanding that physical 4K discs offer a better picture than streaming due to the higher bit rates.That's why I don't mind paying money for physical media, because I want the higher quality. I was excited to buy the collection coming out, but if Disney didn't put the work into remastering the movies that were done on film, I probably won't see much of a difference than the blu rays I bought years ago. If you want people to plunk down cash for these movies in 4K, you're going to have to give them the higher quality they expect from the 4K format.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If the new physical 4K Star Wars discs are just tinkered with versions of the blu-rays, I wonder if it's worth buying. From reading comments on this forum and The Digital Bits, it's my understanding that physical 4K discs offer a better picture than streaming due to the higher bit rates.That's why I don't mind paying money for physical media, because I want the higher quality. I was excited to buy the collection coming out, but if Disney didn't put the work into remastering the movies that were done on film, I probably won't see much of a difference than the blu rays I bought years ago. If you want people to plunk down cash for these movies in 4K, you're going to have to give them the higher quality they expect from the 4K format.

I don't know where that guy came up with that claim that the 4k masters are just upscales of the blu-rays. The only instances where that would be somewhat but still not entirely accurate are II, III, and VII. Clones and Sith were shot using HDTV cameras of the era which only output 1080i24p imagery and as such there's no way to get true 4k out of those films anyway. Meanwhile Force Awakens was just finished at 2K like most major effects movies lately.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I don't know where that guy came up with that claim that the 4k masters are just upscales of the blu-rays. The only instances where that would be somewhat but still not entirely accurate are II, III, and VII. Clones and Sith were shot using HDTV cameras of the era which only output 1080i24p imagery and as such there's no way to get true 4k out of those films anyway. Meanwhile Force Awakens was just finished at 2K like most major effects movies lately.

the 4k 1-6 versions are new scans. They were done in 2013 when George was working in doing all 6 films with 3D conversion.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
And I will still hold on to my LD boxed set!
A funny story- a millennial co-worker friend who is a comic-con Star Wars etc geek came over to watch a movie and I remembered to pull out that boxed set to show him that I have the “Han shot first” scene which we were somehow discussingand he was totally in awe! Firstly I don’t ever think he had seen a LD- but that packaging and book floored him.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I would have loved to own A New Hope UNALTERED in UHD. A shame that it’s unlikely
the version that I’m interested in will never be released in a high quality disc. No unaltered version= no sale. :(
Um, you used a double negative, resulting in saying the opposite of what you probably meant.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You can easily download the 4k77 Project version which is the original films in 4k.

I have the original untouched STAR WARS in 4k and it's unbelievably beautiful.

Not sure if EMPIRE and JEDI are finished yet.

I also don't know how this project stands as far as bootlegging is concerned. On the one hand, it should be considered bootlegging, but on the other, it's widely available and as far as I am aware, there have been no efforts to stop its distribution.

Ron, THANK YOU for making me aware of this! Jedi is finished, BTW. It required comparatively little work, because the print used is in excellent shape.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought discussing bootlegs and where to get them for any reason was forbidden here.

From the Forum Rules and Guidelines

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seems like there’s a double standard for Star Wars films. Btw, I’m not trying to step on Ron or Dave’s toes here. Just Trying to get clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks