What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Streaming from iPad to TV via HT receiver (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Hey guys, I ran into an issue last night trying to watch the NHL Finals. I have the PS Vue streaming service and the game wasn't available to me, so I started watching it on the iPad via the NBC Sports app. I thought I could stream this to my TV via Airplay, but all I got was sound - no video. Apparently I need Apple TV or some similar adapter. The problem is - my older Samsung plasma doesn't have an ARC channel, so I would only hear sound from the TV speakers.

Here is what I want to do, and y'all tell me if this works: get one of the HDMI streaming "dongles" (I don't like the price on the Apple TV device) and run it through my Denon S710, and then to the TV. Does this work? I tried googling some info on streaming from the Denon but didn't find anything very helpful. Most just mention the audio and Airplay.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Go with the Roku (not the super cheap basic one) and plug into an HDMI input on your receiver. That's what I am am doing with Chromecast and used to do with my Roku Stick, worked like a charm.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
So the receiver will pass the HDMI signal through just like it would a standard video signal? Excellent! Thanks for the info!

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
So I have the ROKU installed and working, but I can't stream to it from the iPad. It doesn't "see" it.....any ideas?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Correct, the Roku will be your new streaming tool/method. Just start loading their channel apps and other streaming apps they offer and just turn on the Roku input on the AVR and stream all you want. No real need for the ipad to do the work.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
p.s.

Don't forget your free 2 month trial of HBO you get (if you need it). :)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
OK, thanks for the help guys. I guess I was just over-thinking things! I get HBO via my PS Vue account so I'm set there. I did find that the Vue interface was a bit "wonky" with the Roku remote (and the app) without the PS4 controller. It will take some getting used to.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I really hate not being able to chromecast from my iphone or ipad.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I should have worded that better. I can't cast Google Chrome, and safari to it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ohhh...well if you move to right side of the tracks and get an Android set up, you will be just fine. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I did that a few years agoMay go back next year depending on what new iPhones will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks