What's new

Thank You, Universal, For Your Recent Catalog Blu-rays! (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My big guilty pleasure is Swashbuckler. I'm hoping it makes it to Blu-ray some day.
I love this as well. Koch Media released it in Germany....Region B locked however. This seems right in Shout Factory's wheelhouse.

https://www.amazon.de/scharlachrote...19228725&sr=1-1&keywords=swashbuckler+blu+ray
91DE%2BBEceyL._SX425_.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Unfortunately I am not region free. It does seem like a title Shout would release though.

Or (and sorry to keep harping on this) you could spend $150.00 and be region-free. Just don't buy 6 or so Blu-rays one month and pick up one of these players instead...it will open up another whole world of film collecting to you!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Or (and sorry to keep harping on this) you could spend $150.00 and be region-free. Just don't buy 6 or so Blu-rays one month and pick up one of these players instead...it will open up another whole world of film collecting to you!

Nah. I thought about it one time. In the long run it just was not worth it to me. Besides, I do not have the space for an additional player beside my UHD player.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
UFOria (1986) with Fred Ward, Harry Dean Stanton and Cindy Williams. Only available on VHS tape which i have and a reason i still have my VHS player.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Now that Woody Woodpecker is the star of a theatrical film, will any of Walter Lantz's cartoons be making the jump to Blu-ray any time soon?
So *that's* how my 7 year old granddaughter knows about Woody Woodpecker! I no longer watch "commercial" TV so don't hear about new movies unless someone brings 'em up. I knew I'd never shown her, or her brother and sister, any of his cartoons yet, but she did his laugh yesterday in the car which caught me off-guard! She said of the laugh: "It's kind of creepy!"

Also, *any* pre-1960 SF or Horror titles from their library, that've not yet received the treatment, upgraded to BR would be most welcome!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Now that Woody Woodpecker is the star of a theatrical film, will any of Walter Lantz's cartoons be making the jump to Blu-ray any time soon?

don't judge by that movie, but hey i would be OK if both of these got a 1080p upgrade
upload_2018-2-21_13-8-16.png upload_2018-2-21_13-8-33.png

of course that means look to your left at my Avatar, gets his Universals released in the package,

and yes, thank you Universal for diving back in to the catalog, on the recent releases, and wait to see many more of the classics!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There was a lengthy period a few years back when I considered Universal to be bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of getting classics out on Blu-ray, but suddenly you're producing great box sets and individual titles on your own label, plus licensing out like crazy to multiple smaller labels. Please don't think me ungrateful for jotting down some of your back catalog (including older Paramount films that you now control) that really deserves similar Blu-ray treatment:

*These are titles already available on Blu, but so far only from other countries.

THE HEIRESS
FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO
ICEMAN
BEAU GESTE
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
W.C. FIELDS - His best (especially THE BANK DICK, NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, IT'S A GIFT, etc.)
INVISIBLE MAN BOX SET (with A&C MEET; INVISIBLE WOMAN; etc.)*
CREATURE BOX SET (w/3D REVENGE OF THE CREATURE)
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO -Their best films (HOLD THAT GHOST, TIME OF THEIR LIVES, Many more)
THE SUSPECT (Charles Laughton)
CRISS CROSS
WINCHESTER '73
BEND OF THE RIVER*
FAR COUNTRY
TARANTULA*
THIS ISLAND EARTH*
FLOWER DRUM SONG
CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D.
ARABESQUE*
MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS
ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS*
DAY OF THE JACKAL*
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE
THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER*
THE BIG FIX (BLU)
PIRATES OF PENZANCE
MASK*
BILOXI BLUES
DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY
THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939)
GHOST BREAKERS
CHRISTMAS IN JULY
DR. CYCLOPS
THE LADY EVE
THE GLASS KEY*
THE BLUE DAHLIA*
ROAD TO MOROCCO
THIS GUN FOR HIRE
WAKE ISLAND
GOING MY WAY
MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
THE LOST WEEKEND*
THE PALEFACE

Pretty overwhelming list, but I'm sure we'd all be grateful to see at least some of these upgraded to HD. Many thanks, and keep up the great work you've been doing during the past two years or so!

I'd definitely love the Fields, Hope, Crosby, and Alan Ladd titles on this list Man on the Flying Trapeze is my favorite W.C. Fields movie.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Yes, Universal owns the pre-1948 Paramount library due to a deal struck between the companies at the time. There are some exceptions of course but for the most part if it was a Paramount release from 1948 or earlier, rights are held by Universal.

Pre-1948 is only half the story, as they don't own the Paramount silents, so it's more accurately described as Universal owning most of the Paramount produced films from 1929-1948.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Still hoping for 3-4 sets of the 28 Universal Abbott and Costello films. One thing I have noticed about A & C is everyone seems to have different opinions on which of their films are their best. So make everyone happy and release them all in sets the HD masters are already available. I personally tend to agree with the books on A & C that favor all their early output from 1940-1944 as their best. Its when they were fresh, full of energy and ad-libs. This was before the tragic death of Lou's son in 1944 sucked some of the little kid out of him and before they started getting scripts they weren't happy with starting in 1949. All this is extremely evident on screen when you watch all their films in chronological order which I have done 5 or 6 times.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Oh, and...where is AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD (1991) on Blu-ray? There are plenty of bootleg DVD's out there, but since the full screen laser release, nothing legitimate from Universal. Kind of an important film about how missionaries inadvertently caused the destruction of numerous indigenous populations. Kathy Bates, Tom Berenger, John Lithgow, Aiden Quinn, Daryl Hannah, directed by Hector (PIXOTE) Babenco. Too good a film to be so ignored.

lasselars

Auditioning
Real Name
Lars Walldov
There are several Universal titles available on Blu in Europe that have not been mentioned in these posts.
The ones I know for sure are: Slaughterhouse 5, The Far Country, Winchester ´73, Destry Rides Again, A Countess from Hong Kong, Lonely Are the Brave and Isadora.

Last edited:

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
NIGHT PASSAGE with James Stewart and Audie Murphy -- in Technicolor and Technirama -- would be stunning when restored and released on 4K and/or Blu-ray!!!

BEND OF THE RIVER, NAKED SPUR, and THE FAR COUNTRY would be most welcome.

CANYON PASSAGE, the 1946 Technicolor classic, is way overdue on domestic Blu-ray.

(And, definitely, a restored, domestic release of THIS ISLAND EARTH would be awesome.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
NIGHT PASSAGE with James Stewart and Audie Murphy -- in Technicolor and Technirama -- would be stunning when restored and released on 4K and/or Blu-ray!!!

BEND OF THE RIVER, NAKED SPUR, and THE FAR COUNTRY would be most welcome.

CANYON PASSAGE, the 1946 Technicolor classic, is way overdue on domestic Blu-ray.

(And, definitely, a restored, domestic release of THIS ISLAND EARTH would be awesome.)

THE NAKED SPUR is Warner Bros. Could get an Archive release. BEND OF THE RIVER is out on a so-so Blu-ray in Germany.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Colossus: The Forbin Project is coming from Shout Factory. I had no luck with the Region B version, two discs completely refused to play however, my player has since become erratic, playing some discs fine others not, so it may not be all the fault of Medium-Rare!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks