What's new

Thank You, Universal, For Your Recent Catalog Blu-rays! (2 Viewers)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
If you're hoping someone from Universal will see your (and others') questions/requests, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. I've never seen any sign that anyone from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment participates in these chatboards.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If you're hoping someone from Universal will see your (and others') questions/requests, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. I've never seen any sign that anyone from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment participates in these chatboards.

Why should that deter anyone from posting them? And Universal could well just be lurking, in order not to get tied up with any controversies.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Why should that deter anyone from posting them? And Universal could well just be lurking, in order not to get tied up with any controversies.

People shouldn't be deterred from posting their wishes. I'm just suggesting folks shouldn't get their hopes up or hold their breath -- in contrast to independent labels, for example, who post here and elsewhere. This observation is based on Universal Home Entertainment's track record (or lack thereof) in this decade, after a spectacular run during the prior decade.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
SWEET CHARITY from France is region free and looks and sounds great . I would like to see a region free MAN ON THE MOON and AIRPORT from TODD-AO sources.[ Which will never happen]

I have Charity from France as well. Why has it not been released in the US??

Can either of you confirm if the French blu-ray is uncut? The U.S. dvd was strangely edited in the marriage license scene with a block of dialogue excised.

Thanks.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Not really that great of a selection. I think it is the first time I can remember that nothing interests me from a wave of titles. But at least Universal still has interest in catalog titles so I will give them that.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I, too, love the work Universal has been doing. Unfortunately, they have this habit of releasing all of the same titles over and over again with each format change. I would LOVE to see something like COBRA WOMAN on blu ray! Fortunately, they at least license out titles which leaves some options open!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see a Preston Sturges set ether by including the previous films leased to Criterion when that license expires or by leasing the remaining films to Criterion so the could put out a set.

Christmas In July
The Great McGinty
The Lady Eve
Sullivan's Travels
Palm Beach Story
Hail the Conquering Hero

Throw in Remember the Night, the last film he wrote, but did not direct. Miracle of Morgan's Creek is owned by Paramount so they couldn't include that.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I, too, love the work Universal has been doing. Unfortunately, they have this habit of releasing all of the same titles over and over again with each format change. I would LOVE to see something like COBRA WOMAN on blu ray! Fortunately, they at least license out titles which leaves some options open!

It's available from Germany, but Region B locked.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'd love to see Universal release catalog titles from the 1950s that have never seen the light of day on DVD. Like The Tattered Dress, Four Girls In Town, Stranger In My Arms, Congo Crossing, Twilight For The Gods, The Second Greatest Sex to name a few.

.... and Girl in the Kremlin, which could be a cleverly timely coup of a catalog release for Universal right now -- assuming they indeed hold the rights (and not the Zugsmith estate or someone else).

But (sigh), I'm not holding my breath....

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
From the 40s musicals like
HI GOOD LOOKIN’
SWINGTIME JOHNNY
STRICTLY IN THE GROOVE
etc.

From the 50s:
MEET DANNY WILSON (Sinatra on dvd only in region 2)
HERE COME THE NELSONS (released on vhs only)
THE BIG BEAT (rock and roll title in color)
DRAGNET (1954 on dvd but in a so so transfer and wrong AR)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks