What's new

The absolute best 3D Blu-ray Disc that you can buy! (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I watched The Best of 3D this afternoon. It took nearly all afternoon, too, as I wasn't expecting it to run 2 1/2 hours. Chock full of wonderful things, I had a few favorites: the opening Nut Job short, the moment where the woman dips her hands in paint and leaves hand prints on glass that extend far out into the viewing area (best pop out among many on the disc), the fireworks sections (I imagine folks who have projectors and 100"+ screens will swoon over this), and the final mountain climbing (which could have gone on a little longer; maybe in place of all that storm surfing).

Which one do you have? The running time is listed as 85 minutes on Amazon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Which one do you have? The running time is listed as 85 minutes on Amazon.

I just received mine from Amazon and the back says feature running time 2 hours 35 minutes and bonus content running time 19 minutes. I would guess the Amazon information is incorrect.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I watched IMAX under the sea. You're right, Ron, the Cod fish was one of the best uses of pop out I've seen. Amazing. (The alligator fish suddenly snapping out was brief but pretty cool, too.)

Then I started watching best of 3d. The universe segment had a really cool pop out that you don't see much as each of the planets subtly shifted forward out of the screen and you could see curvature of the spheres.

Can't wait to finish best of 3d tonight.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I have to say that this was a great 3D Bluray. I enjoyed it all. Thanks to Ron for posting the link!!!!

ETA: I watched it on my Sony 60in Passive 3d TV and my Sony 3D player. great stuff!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It was worth the price. Loved the fireworks and the city scapes and the wonderful cgi animated short that kicks off the disc, but thought that some of the lengthy running time was kind of meh...I agree with those who feel that the second half is too weighted by surfing footage (over 20 minutes of it, in three parts), and I'm one of 3D's biggest fans. Guess I'd have to disagree with Ron on this one -- there are far better 3D discs out there IMO (THE MAZE, MINISCULE, both TURTLE TALES, and a bunch more of the titles from his own sticky post. If all two-and-a-half hours of the BEST OF 3D was as good as its best segments, I'd agree, but the disc is inconsistent, and unavoidably so, seeing as how disparate the material used here is.

However I will likely purchase other volumes from the series from France (in which this disc is called BEST OF 3D VOL. 1-3), of which there are four (Vol 4-6, Vol 7-9, Vol. 10-12, Vol. 13-15).

Last edited:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
However I will likely purchase other volumes from the series from France (in which this disc is called BEST OF 3D VOL. 1-3), of which there are four (Vol 4-6, Vol 7-9, Vol. 10-12, Vol. 13-15).
FYI: BEST OF 3D Vol 4-6 has the same features as the UK's Best of 3D disc

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Finished best of 3d this morning. I second that the overall length made it a little tedious.

The stereobank segment had some of the best effects, (the guitar neck, the hand prints, the blooming flowers), but they were too brief.

The first underwater segment was way too long, and not very impressive, especially compared to the German underwater sequence that immediately followed.

I enjoyed the storm surfers segment
Content wise but the 3d was so so, not much depth and the only pop out were the titles. And the majority of the titles were tame, except for the guys names when they were describing tow surfing I think. Those were really far in front of the screen.

I didn't pay much for it, so I'm not necessarily disappointed. There were definitely some great moments, but not enough for its run time. I don't think ill watch it again much. And nothing that I would use to demo or wow my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks