What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Has this been addressed or still there?
IMG_3015.jpeg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Finally received an e-mail response from Walt Disney Home Entertainment Customer Service today:

Hello Todd,

Thank you for the email regarding your Digital Movie. We appreciate the opportunity to address this issue in greater detail.

For further assistance with the VUDU service, please contact VUDU at 1- 888-554-8838 or visit http://support.vudu.com/?supportPage=answers/list.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this email or visit www.RedeemDigitalMovie.com.

Thank you,

Paul
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Customer Relations

For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please visit our Guest Service Center here.

Yeah, that really doesn't provide any answers....

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Android TV Vudu app on my Sony TV has the SE in HDR10 and 5.1. Theatrical cut plays in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Still no HDR of any kind for the SE via the Movies Anywhere app.

And of course, "because Google", the Play Store, YouTube, etc. don't even recognize that the film is in my Movies Anywhere library and would like me to buy it from them.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Android TV Vudu app on my Sony TV has the SE in HDR10 and 5.1. Theatrical cut plays in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Still no HDR of any kind for the SE via the Movies Anywhere app.

And of course, "because Google", the Play Store, YouTube, etc. don't even recognize that the film is in my Movies Anywhere library and would like me to buy it from them.
So, when and where did you purchase? I’ve been in touch with my sources and they are trying to figure out what is happening.

As for Google, Movies Anywhere is well aware of this issue and is working with them to fix the connection/mapping.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Here is the latest report card (I have omitted YouTube/Google TV since they have made it nearly impossible to locate items in your library):

Movies Anywhere: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Special Edition Cut in HD and Dolby Digital+ 5.1 as a special feature. Special Edition cut available as separate purchase in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Atmos

Vudu: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Special Edition Cut in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Digital+ 5.1 as a special feature. Special Edition cut available as separate purchase in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Digital+ 5.1

Apple TV (on Apple TV device): Special Edition in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos as main feature; Theatrical in HD and Dolby Digital+ 5.1 as special feature.

Apple TV app (on non-Apple TV device): Special Edition in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Movie only (no access to theatrical cut)

Prime Video: Theatrical in 4K HDR10/HDR10+, Dolby Digital+ 5.1 – movie only. Special Edition available as separate purchase in HDR10/HDR10+ and Dolby Digital+ 5.1

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
So, when and where did you purchase? I’ve been in touch with my sources and they are trying to figure out what is happening.

As for Google, Movies Anywhere is well aware of this issue and is working with them to fix the connection/mapping.
Purchased via Vudu

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Tinkering with this movie on digital continues. I purchased this from Apple the day it went on sale.

I only have one listing in Movies Anywhere now and it's for the SE in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I no longer have the theatrical on MA.

On Vudu I only have one listing now as well. It's for the SE, which noted above is in Dolby Vision but 5.1 only. The theatrical is available as a bonus and that is DV and Atmos.

Apple defaults to the SE in DV and DA. The theatrical remains HD and 5.1.

This is a mess. I'll stick with the disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tinkering with this movie on digital continues. I purchased this from Apple the day it went on sale.

I only have one listing in Movies Anywhere now and it's for the SE in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I no longer have the theatrical on MA.

On Vudu I only have one listing now as well. It's for the SE, which noted above is in Dolby Vision but 5.1 only. The theatrical is available as a bonus and that is DV and Atmos.

Apple defaults to the SE in DV and DA. The theatrical remains HD and 5.1.

This is a mess. I'll stick with the disc.
Neil,

Unfortunately, that's the state of the home video digital format. It's a total mess with the industry unwilling and/or unable to fix their problems.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
In the plus column, the Atmos tracks on Apple and MA have been updated to have the correct dialogue on the SE.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Theatrical version is up on Hulu in 4K, no hdr or Atmos.
Also checked D+ Canada and Oslo but no Abyss there.
Oslo has some things we can’t get here.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
When will the rental version appear on ATV+? I'm guessing around the time of the disc releases. The Abyss laserdisc boxed set cost me $100 back in the early 90s, I believe I've put enough money into the abyss already.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When will the rental version appear on ATV+? I'm guessing around the time of the disc releases.

That would be my guess as well. With new release titles, the digital rental usually becomes available day and date with the physical media release.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here is the latest report card (I have omitted YouTube/Google TV since they have made it nearly impossible to locate items in your library):

Movies Anywhere: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Special Edition Cut in HD and Dolby Digital+ 5.1 as a special feature. Special Edition cut available as separate purchase in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Atmos

Vudu: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Special Edition Cut in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Digital+ 5.1 as a special feature. Special Edition cut available as separate purchase in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Digital+ 5.1

Apple TV (on Apple TV device): Special Edition in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos as main feature; Theatrical in HD and Dolby Digital+ 5.1 as special feature.

Apple TV app (on non-Apple TV device): Special Edition in 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos; Movie only (no access to theatrical cut)

Prime Video: Theatrical in 4K HDR10/HDR10+, Dolby Digital+ 5.1 – movie only. Special Edition available as separate purchase in HDR10/HDR10+ and Dolby Digital+ 5.1
If I bought The Abyss and redeemed through Movies Anywhere, do I have 4K Theatrical if I play back in MA, and also 4K SE if I playback through AppleTV Movies? Or is the 4k version locked to the service you redeemed with first?

And do you know if this is the end state? Or are the streamers still working to make 4K versions of Theatrical and SE both available for those who bought the Theatrical release on launch?

They got a bunch of middle-aged people to buy a digital movie, something they're not prone to do, and they completely screwed it up. So people who could have been won over to use their disposable income to buy more digital versions, are instead frustrated and taught that digital movies are more trouble than they're worth. This is so weird that they screwed it up to start and that they didn't fix it in the first week.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The correct product configuration was intended to be both cuts of the film included as part of a single purchase, each available in 4K UHD. It does not appear that it has been resolved yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks