What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ The Book of Boba Fett (December, 2021) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I forgot to mention, but I am thinking Luke’s gonna be pissed when he wakes up to find Grogu, R2 and his X Wing missing.
Obviously, Grogu chose not to stay and be trained by Luke. I'm thinking that it was Luke who had R2 take Grogu back to Tatooine to find Mando, hence Amy Sedaris' comment about the astromech doing all the flying.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, Grogu chose not to stay and be trained by Luke. I'm thinking that it was Luke who had R2 take Grogu back to Tatooine to find Mando, hence Amy Sedaris' comment about the astromech doing all the flying.
I missed that line. I guess that’s how it gets back to Luke.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m sorry people didn’t like it. Within the established limitations they chose by setting these new shows in between time periods so that not much can actually happen, and certainly nothing that changes the order of the Galaxy as we know it, I thought this show did an outstanding job of telling a Lucas-esque tale in a manner consistent with George’s ideals.

While there was nothing in it I hated, the return of Mando and Grogu were the least interesting parts to me, probably because they end up sort of negating the character and plot developments from the Mando show. In one fell swoop, two seasons of character development leading to the second season finale no longer seem to matter. It’s a writing technique I’m almost never thrilled with - the writing team of Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci did this across a ton of different properties when their names were attached to everything a decade ago and I really grew sick of it after seeing it happening in everything I was watching it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
While there was nothing in it I hated, the return of Mando and Grogu were the least interesting parts to me, probably because they end up sort of negating the character and plot developments from the Mando show. In one fell swoop, two seasons of character development leading to the second season finale no longer seem to matter. It’s a writing technique I’m almost never thrilled with - the writing team of Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci did this across a ton of different properties when their names were attached to everything a decade ago and I really grew sick of it after seeing it happening in everything I was watching it.
Very hard to disagree with that, the more I think about it. I absolutely loved seeing both Mando and Grogu in this show, for my own selfish glee, but it feels like such a 180 to that amazing ending of Mando Season 2. Though everyone was going on about Luke’s surprise rescue, which I was amazed by too, Mando and Grogu’s emotional climax and goodbye was the biggest highlight for that season finale episode, and it felt like a major and properly done closure to that storyline. Now, it seems like they’re saying “haha, just kidding, you were crying over a bounty hunter saying goodbye to his pet for nothing, loser!”

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While there was nothing in it I hated, the return of Mando and Grogu were the least interesting parts to me, probably because they end up sort of negating the character and plot developments from the Mando show. In one fell swoop, two seasons of character development leading to the second season finale no longer seem to matter.
Yep, Book mostly brought The Mandalorian back to the first episode again and people loved it. And I'm as glad as anyone that Baby Yoda is back and I still want to see the next season of The Mandalorian but it just goes to show that many of the fans want the same thing again and again and that, in my opinion, LFL isn't taking enough creative risks. After Grogu left, one of the things I was interested in was seeing how the show went on without Baby Yoda (and his inevitable but eventual return) but instead of following through with that, they retreated to keep people happy and not shake things up too much. Why even bother to end a season on Grogu leaving when they were going to have him back in the next episode?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not as critical as some about the way Grogu and Mando were reunited. Yes, their parting was emotional, as was Luke's appearance. However, we had the better part of an entire episode here that featured Luke and Grogu, the beginning of the little guy's training, and the interaction between them, the end of which presented a choice that had to be made, and it was made. Yes, I think this part of the plot could have been fleshed out a bit more, but I don't feel cheated in the slightest. For me, it worked fine, and I'm looking forward to the 3rd season of The Mandalorian.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
After Grogu left, one of the things I was interested in was seeing how the show went on without Baby Yoda (and his inevitable but eventual return) but instead of following through with that, they retreated to keep people happy and not shake things up too much.
Agree, I would have rather had Grogu return around mid season 3 of Mando, or even in the season finale. But I liked what he did in the finale of BoBF too.

Overall I enjoyed BoBF. The final battle wasn't perfect, but it did have some great stuff - Boba and Mando fighting from the air, the rancor, the annihilator droids, Cad Bane. I can forgive the weaknesses as it was fun to watch.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not as critical as some about the way Grogu and Mando were reunited. Yes, their parting was emotional, as was Luke's appearance. However, we had the better part of an entire episode here that featured Luke and Grogu, the beginning of the little guy's training, and the interaction between them, the end of which presented a choice that had to be made, and it was made. Yes, I think this part of the plot could have been fleshed out a bit more, but I don't feel cheated in the slightest. For me, it worked fine, and I'm looking forward to the 3rd season of The Mandalorian.
I don't want to come off as being really critical of the decision to already reunite them because I don't hate it or anything but one of my biggest takeaways from the end of the second season of Mando was being impressed that they had the balls to complete the series' major goal at the end of the second season and (even if it was just temporary) write off a widely popular character and start the show largely anew. That seems undone by already getting them back together already. One could argue against me by saying that the show would just be wasting time on building up to a reunion that everyone knows will happen and this was just a quicker way to get it done from the jump but I'd have rather seen them build to it.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm just now getting caught up on this show. Episodes 1-4 were kind of a slog for me and I was about to give up on it but decided to tough it out. Well, I just now finished episode 5 and that was MUCH better. Dallas did a great job with that Ep. Now I see what all the hubbub was about.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One could argue against me by saying that the show would just be wasting time on building up to a reunion that everyone knows will happen

I never assumed/expected that we’d see Mando and Grogu together again. That arc seemed completed. The arc with Mando caring about fidelity to the helmet thing also seemed over after he met Bo Katan; once he learned that the helmet wearing sect was a cult and that being Mandalorean was more than having to follow that narrow dogma, it seemed like he had moved past that. To me, that made his “shame” and begging for forgiveness about taking his helmet off ring false - I thought he was over pledging his allegiance to that thinking, his whole arc in season 2 seemed to be about moving past that.

So not only did I not expect to see Grogu on this show again (perhaps instead appearing in another property at a later time), I didn’t expect to see Mando clinging so tightly to his helmet.

While this may have been a foregone conclusion to some, to me it seemed like they were setting up a new season with new adventures and new themes, rather than preparing to reset everything to the status quo at the earliest opportunity.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The more Cad Bane talked, with that slow cadence, the more he sounded like someone doing a bad Humphrey Bogart impression.

I liked some of the action: the Rancor, Mando and Fett side by side on jetpacks and the Annihaltor Droids.

But Shennec Fen didnt do much, I didnt care at all about the Mod Squad and the Mayor's Domo was just annoying.

They kept saying they were at war but all of the fighting seemed to take place in two alleys, with the Pikes running in one or two at a time. There was no real epic sense to it, and I never had even the slightest sense that Boba would lose. And the lack of scale and tension made for dull action.

And im disappointed that Grogu's custom armor turned out to be a chain mail shirt that he wore under his cloak. We didnt even get to see it.

Overall, there just wasnt a compelling story to this series. A few episodes of flashbacks to get us to the present, then two episodes of Mando leading to a lackluster finale.

I would have much rather have seen something like the young Boba Fett chronicles, watch him being a badass galactic bounty hunter. Maybe a couple of seasons of that and lead up to his capturing Han as a tie-in to the original trilogy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never assumed/expected that we’d see Mando and Grogu together again. That arc seemed completed.
Since they created the most beloved Star Wars character since the OT, I figured that Grogu would eventually come back. The mainstream audience would demand it and I think there usually comes a point where you have to give people what they want to some degree but I figured we'd have to wait until deep into S3 to see them together again.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I also didn’t get all the excitement about Cad Bane. I had no idea who he was and had to look him up. He seemed to be a pretty mediocre character at best.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The excitement comes from being a fan of the Clone Wars series as he was a major villain for one of the seasons.

This show has been a very rewarding continuation of threads left hanging from some of the animated shows, but I do wonder how that plays to audiences not expecting such things.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The excitement comes from being a fan of the Clone Wars series as he was a major villain for one of the seasons.

This show has been a very rewarding continuation of threads left hanging from some of the animated shows, but I do wonder how that plays to audiences not expecting such things.
It played well with me. I have the Clone Wars Blu-rays, but have never watched them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's always cool to me to see characters make the transition from one medium to another but Cad Bane was exciting because in Book, he had a much more threatening look than he did in The Clone Wars. He was still obviously Cad Bane and true to the character's animated look but while characters like Ahsoka and Black Krrsantan were what I expected them to look like in live action, Bane was far more 'evil' than he ever came off to me in animation and that was an unexpected surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks