What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HBO Max The Flight Attendant (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Anyone else watching The Flight Attendant on HBO Max? It stars Kaley Cuoco. We just watched the first episode, but it was quite entertaining and it sets up a good mystery.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It's pretty good, although Cassie's (Cuoco) imaginary conversations with the dead victim are kind of silly. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I've been alternating between this and The Undoing. Both are pretty good in their own ways, though from what I understand, the finale to The Undoing wasn't well received so I'm bracing myself with 2 eps to go.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like the conceit that you hid as a spoiler. At least, it hasn’t bothered me so far.

I wasn’t sure about The Undoing and its subject matter. It’ll be interesting to see what you think after the season wraps up.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
How is Cuoco in her role? I’ve gotten the impression this is a dramatic role, which I doubt many of us have seen her in.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also think she’s good in the role and it’s a role that requires quite a bit as it carries the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Its a comedy thriller like the kinds Hitchcock used to make.
Agreed. That was my first thought too. The every(wo)man tossed into an extreme and perilous situation that (s)he doesn't understand.

It's interesting having a murder mystery centered around an alcoholic whose alcoholism both drives the plot and impedes the investigation.

I'm a few episodes in and so far my favorite character is the mob lawyer best friend played by David Mamet's daughter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finished the first season tonight. I loved it. The show was storytelling on two gears:
  1. The Hitchcockian suspense-thriller, with murder and criminal conspiracies and assassins
  2. The psychological story of our heroine confronting her childhood trauma and facing her really serious drinking problem.
Both gears worked splendidly, with each working to enhance the other.

How is Cuoco in her role? I’ve gotten the impression this is a dramatic role, which I doubt many of us have seen her in.

She's phenomenal. The show requires a lot of different colors from her. Her character is a really intelligent woman with remarkable observational skills, a high-functioning alcoholic who is progressively less high-functioning, and a deeply traumatized person on multiple levels. Her comedic timing is employed very effectively with some real laugh-out-loud moments, but you also buy her as a woman being hunted by criminals and the authorities, as someone having a mental breakdown, and someone who feels plausible as an amateur but very adept investigator.

Seemed like it ended with a decent setup for season 2, but it will certainly be different.

Yes. There were a few dangling threads:
Megan as an international fugitive on the run for committing treason.
Annie unemployed and seeking a new career path.
Cassie potentially being recruited by the CIA.

But mostly, all of the stories for this season were resolved satisfactorily by the end.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you watch more of it, Adam.

I love great fictional detectives, and Cassie Bowden certainly fits that bill. I appreciated how the skills that served her in that capacity -- her remarkable ability to notice small details, comprehend their significance, and recall them with perfect clarity; her ability to construct a mind palace and utilize it to enhance recall and examine situations more objectively -- were established before the whodunit element kicked into high gear. And I loved how she was allowed to change and grow and learn from her mistakes and evolve over the course of the season.

I love how Annie is this bad ass, really competent lawyer, but she's also a young woman in over her head. She has her own crisis of self that parallels Cassie's. Zosia Mamet brings a really unconventional and compelling energy to the character; if Cassie is really adept at deceiving herself and deceiving others, Annie is the opposite: whether she's meeting mobsters at a crime scene by the docks or meeting her friend for drinks, she is completely insuppressibly direct. She says exactly what she's feeling as she's feeling it. The friendship between Cassie and Annie, two very sharp women with such different personalities and such different strengths, is really fun to watch.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Just finished watching the season. Really liked it. That setup at the end almost makes this an origin season that could go almost anywhere.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It was nice and interesting for the first 3-4 episodes. After that it got very tedious and annoying.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 2 Teaser Trailer:

Returning for Season 2:
  • Zosia Mame as Annie, Cassie's best friend and sometimes legal representation
  • Griffin Matthews as Shane, an undercover CIA operative who worked with Cassie as a flight attendant
  • Deniz Akdeniz as Max, Annie's hacker boyfriend
  • Rosie Perez as Megan, a flight attendant who got involved with some very dangerous individuals during the first season
  • T.R. Knight as Davey, Cassie's brother
  • Yasha Jackson as Jada, a flight attendant who shares routes with Cassie
  • Audrey Grace Marshall as Young Cassie
New casting for Season 2:
  • Sharon Stone as Lisa, Cassie's estranged mother
  • Mo McRae as Benjamin Berry, a career CIA officer who may have a bad habit of getting a little too involved with his assets
  • Callie Hernandez as Gabrielle Diaz, a quick-tempered and calculating bounty hunter whose impulse control issues often get in the way of her job
  • JJ Soria as Esteban Diaz, Gabrielle’s partner and lover who tries to keep a level head and stay focused on the job, but often gets just as heated as his girlfriend
  • Cheryl Hines as Dot Karlson
  • Jessie Ennis as Jenny
  • Mae Martin as Grace St. James
  • Margaret Cho as Utada
  • Santiago Cabrera as Marco
  • Shohreh Aghdashloo as Brenda

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
She's wonderful!! Love this show. Just concluded, and i think it's been renewed. Stylish and colorful, and a great cast.

Somehow, and I don't know why or how, it reminded me of "Mr. Robot".

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Finished the first season tonight. I loved it. The show was storytelling on two gears:
  1. The Hitchcockian suspense-thriller, with murder and criminal conspiracies and assassins
  2. The psychological story of our heroine confronting her childhood trauma and facing her really serious drinking problem.
Both gears worked splendidly, with each working to enhance the other.

She's phenomenal. The show requires a lot of different colors from her. Her character is a really intelligent woman with remarkable observational skills, a high-functioning alcoholic who is progressively less high-functioning, and a deeply traumatized person on multiple levels. Her comedic timing is employed very effectively with some real laugh-out-loud moments, but you also buy her as a woman being hunted by criminals and the authorities, as someone having a mental breakdown, and someone who feels plausible as an amateur but very adept investigator.

Yes. There were a few dangling threads:
Megan as an international fugitive on the run for committing treason.
Annie unemployed and seeking a new career path.
Cassie potentially being recruited by the CIA.

But mostly, all of the stories for this season were resolved satisfactorily by the end.

I love great fictional detectives, and Cassie Bowden certainly fits that bill. I appreciated how the skills that served her in that capacity -- her remarkable ability to notice small details, comprehend their significance, and recall them with perfect clarity; her ability to construct a mind palace and utilize it to enhance recall and examine situations more objectively -- were established before the whodunit element kicked into high gear. And I loved how she was allowed to change and grow and learn from her mistakes and evolve over the course of the season.

I love how Annie is this bad ass, really competent lawyer, but she's also a young woman in over her head. She has her own crisis of self that parallels Cassie's. Zosia Mamet brings a really unconventional and compelling energy to the character; if Cassie is really adept at deceiving herself and deceiving others, Annie is the opposite: whether she's meeting mobsters at a crime scene by the docks or meeting her friend for drinks, she is completely insuppressibly direct. She says exactly what she's feeling as she's feeling it. The friendship between Cassie and Annie, two very sharp women with such different personalities and such different strengths, is really fun to watch.
I only just seen episodes 5-8. I love this show. Hope to see the first 4 episodes. And Season 2. Kaley Cuoco rules.

Anyone know when season 2 begins?????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks