What's new

Pre-Order The Glass Bottom Boat (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I saw this as a ten year old in 1966. The quintessential family movie outing. Years later my older brother would refuse to admit he laughed during it.

^_^

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Years later my older brother would refuse to admit he laughed during it.

^_^

How could he NOT????? He's only HUMAN, isn't he?

lynde.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It was probably Doris's 8th and last year in the top ten box office as her only films after this were:

With Six You Get Eggroll
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
The Ballad of Josie
Caprice

Or perhaps I am wrong. With Six You Get Eggroll and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? were fairly successful for the time .

A shame she chose not to change with the times . Still wish she had done "The Graduate" instead of any of the above films.
Was she considered for Mrs. Robinson? I like Doris, but I don’t see her in that role.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
She was more than considered. She was offered the role and turned it down. I think she would have been terrific in the role. Less obvious than Anne Bancroft's dragon lady performance.
I thought Anne Bancroft was just right for that role. If Joan Crawford was 20 years younger, then she would've been perfectly cast for that role. I don't see Doris Day in that role.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I thought Anne Bancroft was just right for that role. If Joan Crawford was 20 years younger, then she would've been perfectly cast for that role. I don't see Doris Day in that role.

Doris Day is the perfect Southern California blonde, blue eyed housewife. Bancroft is straight out of Brooklyn. Bancroft enters the film as a predatory feline looking for a mouse to pounce on. Too obvious. Day's image as the wholesome all American girl next door would have been turned upside down when she goes after Hoffman. Hoffman's "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" seems redundant as Bancroft plays her like a cat in heat. The wholesome Day seducing Hoffman seems impossible so his "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" seems legitimate. Doris Day does not go around seducing men young enough to be her son! Day would have shown us the woman behind the facade of the perfect Beverly Hills housewife. Bancroft had no facade.

As for Joan Crawford as Mrs. Robinson :eek: Thanks for that image (:wacko:), I'll be trying to shake it off the rest of the day!

Just about every actress over 40 was considered for Mrs. Robinson and put on a consideration list. Among them: Ingrid Bergman, Patricia Neal, Susan Hayward, Lana Turner, Deborah Kerr, Rita Hayworth, Jeanne Moreau.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
And still AMPAS won't give her an Honorary Oscar.
Or the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, which she qualifies for.

I had a friend who worked for the Academy and he said the Academy wanted to giver her an honorary Oscar but she said, no thank you. I suppose they could have gone and given it to her anyway but what's the use when she won't show up and doesn't want it. It's like when the AFI wanted to give Katharine Hepburn one of those Life Achievement awards back in the 1970s and she said she had no intention of showing up if they did! They gave it to Bette Davis instead.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doris Day is the perfect Southern California blonde, blue eyed housewife. Bancroft is straight out of Brooklyn. Bancroft enters the film as a predatory feline looking for a mouse to pounce on. Too obvious. Day's image as the wholesome all American girl next door would have been turned upside down when she goes after Hoffman. Hoffman's "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" seems redundant as Bancroft plays her like a cat in heat. The wholesome Day seducing Hoffman seems impossible so his "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" seems legitimate. Doris Day does not go around seducing men young enough to be her son! Day would have shown us the woman behind the facade of the perfect Beverly Hills housewife. Bancroft had no facade.

As for Joan Crawford as Mrs. Robinson :eek: Thanks for that image (:wacko:), I'll be trying to shake it off the rest of the day!

Just about every actress over 40 was considered for Mrs. Robinson and put on a consideration list. Among them: Ingrid Bergman, Patricia Neal, Susan Hayward, Lana Turner, Deborah Kerr, Rita Hayworth, Jeanne Moreau.
That's exactly what the director wanted for that role. I respect your POV, but I disagree with it as Bancroft is the most memorable role in that film for me. Anyhow, you can have the last word so back to the subject matter at hand which is "The Glass Bottom Boat".

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly what the director wanted for that role. I respect your POV, but I disagree with it as Bancroft is the most memorable role in that film for me. Anyhow, you can have the last word so back to the subject matter at hand which is "The Glass Bottom Boat".

I don't know if Mike Nichols had any say in the casting. I would have imagined he would have and the original casting choices (Day as Mrs. Robinson, Robert Redford as Benjamin, Sue Lyon as Elaine) seems to indicate he or the producer wanted that Southern California blonde look. When the first two choices said no, thank you, obviously they went brunette. :) I'm not a fan of the film but I think Katharine Ross is wonderful in it (and a big shout out to Elizabeth Wilson as Hoffman's mother).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Doris Day is the perfect Southern California blonde, blue eyed housewife. Bancroft is straight out of Brooklyn. Bancroft enters the film as a predatory feline looking for a mouse to pounce on. Too obvious. Day's image as the wholesome all American girl next door would have been turned upside down when she goes after Hoffman. Hoffman's "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" seems redundant as Bancroft plays her like a cat in heat. The wholesome Day seducing Hoffman seems impossible so his "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" seems legitimate. Doris Day does not go around seducing men young enough to be her son! Day would have shown us the woman behind the facade of the perfect Beverly Hills housewife. Bancroft had no facade...
I think that would have made for an interesting choice. As would Redford. Dustin Hoffman seems like the kind of guy who would question his existence. Redford doesn't, and seeing him dissatisfied when he seems like a golden boy with the perfect life would have put a different spin on the role.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I had a friend who worked for the Academy and he said the Academy wanted to giver her an honorary Oscar but she said, no thank you. I suppose they could have gone and given it to her anyway but what's the use when she won't show up and doesn't want it. It's like when the AFI wanted to give Katharine Hepburn one of those Life Achievement awards back in the 1970s and she said she had no intention of showing up if they did! They gave it to Bette Davis instead.

This is a myth that people keep repeating. There is no requirement for an honorary Oscar recipient to be asked first if they would accept it. In fact, an AMPAS committee used to meet the day before the Oscars and decide if any should be given. Watch some of those on AMPAS' youtube channel and the presenters say "The board met last night and decided to award this or that..." And not wanting to show up to receive it is different than not wanting or appreciating it.

I cannot recall who the recipient was, but a not too distant past honoree that was awarded one of these, AMPAS didn't even know where he was to tell him that he'd been awarded one. When Peter O'Toole was awarded one it was reported that he wasn't going to come accept it at first. Some didn't show up, but they were either recorded accepting it earlier or it was shown from somewhere else. (Mary Pickford, Paul Newman, Myrna Loy.)

Bottom line: AMPAS can award Doris Day an Honorary Oscar or the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award (which she'd probably even prefer) if they wanted to, but for some reason they don't want to.

The AFI Award for Hepburn was different. Their TV specials were highly rated events at the time and gave the AFI publicity. I don't know for a fact, but showing up probably was a requirement for the AFI. It is not for AMPAS.

So every year there are articles and polls about who should receive an honorary Oscar and Doris Day always tops the list and then the headlines when they announce who gets one are: Doris Day Snubbed Again. Even if they were concerned about her showing up for an untelevised ceremony then they could just award an extra one to someone else that year. AMPAS keeps wanting the public to pay attention to them. The public wants Doris Day to get an honorary Oscar in every survey year. So why don't they? AMPAS looks completely foolish. Remember when they gave Sofia Loren an honorary Oscar, someone who had won a competitive Oscar previously? They got so much bad publicity from that they then decided to give one to Myrna Loy the same year.

And I have not heard anyone ever say that Doris Day doesn't deserve the honor.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As would Redford. Dustin Hoffman seems like the kind of guy who would question his existence. Redford doesn't, and seeing him dissatisfied when he seems like a golden boy with the perfect life would have put a different spin on the role.

Which was pretty much Redford's reasoning for turning down the role. He didn't think he'd be believable. Reputedly he said and I'm paraphrasing here, "Who would believe I couldn't get laid?"

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This is a myth that people keep repeating. There is no requirement for an honorary Oscar recipient to be asked first if they would accept it. And I have not heard anyone ever say that Doris Day doesn't deserve the honor.

From an article on Doris Day in The Hollywood Reporter, an industry trade paper:

"According to those who know her — like author Tom Santopietro, who wrote her 2007 biography,Considering Doris Day — she is not near death, has plenty of money and doesn’t feel like she was snubbed for an Oscar (in fact, she turned down offers for an honorary award on multiple occasions). “I think Doris Day has been happier in retirement than at any other point of her life,” he insists."

Certainly no one disagrees that she doesn't deserve it and as a major Doris Day fanboy, I'd love to have her accept the honor. So if this is a myth that's being perpetuated, it's being perpetuated from the very top. I think it's clear that Day is done with all things Hollywood including the Oscars although she did show up to receive the Cecil B. DeMille award at the 1989 Golden Globes. But at that point, I don't think she had fully let go of Hollywood. I distinctly recall her telling Clint Eastwood, who presented her with the award, "I'd love to work with you, Clint." But when Albert Brooks asked her to play his mother in Mother (1996), while she liked the script, she realized she had absolutely no desire to ever act again and Debbie Reynolds did the movie instead.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
George C. Scott refused his award for Patton, even asked his nomination to be withdrawn. It would be the same with the honorary award.

I do know that AMPAS wanted to fete her with an evening once (An Evening with Doris Day) like they did with some others, including one I attended, An Evening with Olivia DeHavilland, at AMPAS's Goldwyn Theatre, and she did turn that offer down. That wasn't an award, though.

Doris Day may have expressed the idea that she wasn't interested, but I can assure you that Doris Day never turned down an Honorary Oscar award because there is no requirement that said recipients show up nor are they asked beforehand if they would accept one before Honorary Awards are voted on.

Also, may I point out that your quote from Tom Santopietro ends with the line "she doesn't feel like she was snubbed for an Oscar." The part you bolded (in fact, she turned down offers for an honorary award on multiple occasions) is the author of the article's statement, Christian Blauvelt, not Tom Santopietro's. Christian is most likely just repeating this meme that is simply not true, but perpetuated.

Read Rule 24 for the Governor's Awards for how they are chosen. No possible recipient is contacted in advance. Now it may be that AMPAS members have heard that Doris Day isn't interested in awards and would not attend, so they don't feel like doing it, but the fact is any award has to be voted on and awarded in order to be turned down and AMPAS has never done that.

https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/88aa_rules.pdf

Moderator: I realize this is off topic to the Doris Day film in question, so forgive me, and I won't post about this on this thread any further. Thanks for your indulgence.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
First of all, I’m all in for adding another Doris Day Classic to my Doris Day Collection. Doris has been over her career, everything that is right & beautiful in cinema. And that is true today as well as it was in the prime of her film career.

Now to add my $2 million worth ( in counterfeit $100 bills), one from the Had She Lived files:

Picture if you will Marilyn Monroe in the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate (1967).

Think about it and then tell me if that would have been a stroke of casting genius or if you think I’m full of prunes.

(Of course we all know Anne Bancroft forever owns that role).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegisav
Recent bookmarks