What's new

Pre-Order The Glass Bottom Boat (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can imagine Ustinov doing a great job as Clouseau.

Yes, I can also. If you have ever seen or heard any of his interviews or the Criterion SPARTACUS commentary or what are essentially stand-up comedy performances in his home country, you would laugh out loud at his wonderful stuffiness and "veddy British" irreverence. His impersonations of Charles Laughton during the making of SPARTACUS practically gave me a stomach ache...in a good way!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well now, the Amazon listing currently shows TGBB as “currently unavailable” after originally showing a March 26 release date.

Probably par for the course for a yet to be released title.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Has anyone been able to get any of the latest batch of Warner Archive titles from Amazon? They all say “Ships in 1 to 3 months.”
I hate to pay the extra money plus shipping on the WA site, but I guess it’s the only game in town.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Has anyone been able to get any of the latest batch of Warner Archive titles from Amazon? They all say “Ships in 1 to 3 months.”
I hate to pay the extra money plus shipping on the WA site, but I guess it’s the only game in town.
I find Bestbuy.com to be a good, reliable option.

Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I guess I'm missing something, but why are those the only two choices?

That being said, the latest MOD's from SONY, Universal, and WAC have all had issues on all the sites the last couple weeks at a lot of sites, but especially Amazon (? more of Warner issues, but Amazon isn't doing very well with SONY MOD or Universal MOD either so something with Allied Vaughn titles in general)

Bullmoose.com
Deep Discount
BN
Walmart.com
BestBuy

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It was probably Doris's 8th and last year in the top ten box office as her only films after this were:

With Six You Get Eggroll
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
The Ballad of Josie
Caprice

Or perhaps I am wrong. With Six You Get Eggroll and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? were fairly successful for the time .

A shame she chose not to change with the times . Still wish she had done "The Graduate" instead of any of the above films.

You're forgetting that she gave up movies to do her long-running sitcom. She retired after that.

Mike S.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Amazon and Warner Bros are playing Bette Davis vs Joan Crawford :( with no one winning ...

A bunch of other retailers are happy assuming 80% of Amazon customers actually know other stores exist.

Most of the customers who swiitch are probably happy since they can not get their discs earlier and cheaper.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
You're forgetting that she gave up movies to do her long-running sitcom. She retired after that.

Mike S.
As the story goes her late husband and manager signed her up for the TV series without her knowledge. She didn't find out about the TV show until after he died . She also found out that she was broke. Its not that she decided not to make movies and go into TV instead. There was a contract and she needed the money. She retired after making a musical variety special in 1975 , after her sitcom ended, called "Doris Day Today" and her animal talk show in the 1980's which today is probably most remembered for the first time the public saw that Rock Hudson was seriously ill with what turned out to be Aids.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
As the story goes her late husband and manager signed her up for the TV series without her knowledge. She didn't find out about the TV show until after he died . She also found out that she was broke. Its not that she decided not to make movies and go into TV instead. There was a contract and she needed the money. She retired after making a musical variety special in 1975 , after her sitcom ended, called "Doris Day Today" and her animal talk show in the 1980's which today is probably most remembered for the first time the public saw that Rock Hudson was seriously ill with what turned out to be Aids.

True, but she could have gone back to movies after the sitcom was over; hell, she could have done them while the series was on hiatus. But her heart clearly wasn't in performing anymore.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
True, but she could have gone back to movies after the sitcom was over; hell, she could have done them while the series was on hiatus. But her heart clearly wasn't in performing anymore.
We can speculate all we want as to the reasons why she didn't go back to the movies. One reason may be she was about 51 when her show ended and they were not offering leading roles to women at that age in the early 1970's unless her name was Katherine Hepburn. Unless they were the horror movies Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were making. Perhaps Doris was offered similar roles and wisely chose not to do them. People didn't switch back and forth between movies and TV in the 1960's or early 1970's. Usually a few who finished a TV series went on to movie fame like Steve McQueen, James Garner, and of course Clint Eastwood. Two who did make movies while starring on TV were Dick Van Dyke and Alan Alda. To be fair Lucille Ball did make a few movies while she was also on TV. Marlo Thomas made one movie while she was staring in "That Girl". So there are exceptions but it wasn't that common.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those looking for a pretty good deal on some of the newer Warner Archives and Sony MOD titles

FYE has a 25% deal through Midnight ET tonight for $30+ purchases (extra 10% for backstage members)
Glass Bottomed Boat and most others are $19 pre discount so $14.25. Certainly not 4/44 prices, but pretty good for brand new releases
if you don't want to wait until the next WBShop or otehr store deal.
Cleopatra Jones, Year of the Dragon, Wild Rovers are all the same

Many of teh Sony MOD like Stan adn Ollie and Multiplicity are 22.99 (17.25). Stan and Ollie is on backorder though

Free Shipping at $40 after discounts -- otherwise I think $4 flat rate

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Glass Bottom Boat tonight. It looks simply beautiful. I hadn't watched it in a long, long time and had forgotten how slapstick it is from beginning to end - a Frank Tashlin trademark, I guess. What bothered me more this time around was that Doris emerges for about ninety minutes of the movie as a simpleton through all her bungling and fumbling. I had never had this reaction to her performance here until tonight. Once she overhears Rod Taylor and goes on the offensive, she seems to grow some brain cells exponentially, but it was a long time coming.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I watched The Glass Bottom Boat tonight. It looks simply beautiful. I hadn't watched it in a long, long time and had forgotten how slapstick it is from beginning to end - a Frank Tashlin trademark, I guess. What bothered me more this time around was that Doris emerges for about ninety minutes of the movie as a simpleton through all her bungling and fumbling. I had never had this reaction to her performance here until tonight. Once she overhears Rod Taylor and goes on the offensive, she seems to grow some brain cells exponentially, but it was a long time coming.

Interesting. I never thought Jennifer bumbled or was a simpleton.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well after some shopping around, I cancelled my order of TGGB on Amazon and ordered from Bestbuy.com.

Amazon would not be delivering my order until June 3rd. BB will have it to me by May 1st.
Paid maybe a dollar more.

This is one time where Amazon really sucked.

I did consider calling Amazon Customer Service but then again why.

pebro

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Brogan
Not for nothing, but I failed to mention that in 1959 (when she ranked 3rd) she was STILL the #1 female. Elizabeth Taylor knocked her temporarily out of the top female spot in 1961.
Likewise in 1965 when she was ranked # 3, she was still the top-ranked female on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegisav
Recent bookmarks