What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Movie Critic (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It would be hilarious if Brad’s Cliff Booth becomes a movie critic…

I think what I wonder most about with this project is, what will be the "revenge factor" in this? His pictures seem to have a really deep focus on cathartic revenge and so I wonder how that fits into a story about a movie critic and the movie business. Sure, there probably is a lot of petty revenge in the business and committed by critics but not the sort of revenge that Tarantino traffics in.

I suppose it is possible that his final film does not have a revenge factor but it seems so much a part of his writing hard to imagine it won't.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think what I wonder most about with this project is, what will be the "revenge factor" in this? His pictures seem to have a really deep focus on cathartic revenge and so I wonder how that fits into a story about a movie critic and the movie business. Sure, there probably is a lot of petty revenge in the business and committed by critics but not the sort of revenge that Tarantino traffics in.

I suppose it is possible that his final film does not have a revenge factor but it seems so much a part of his writing hard to imagine it won't.
Depends on how much Quentin wants to have a serious shot at the director or picture Oscar. If the screenplay takes a bunch of veiled swipes at the academy that people could say are about his own films, then he can kiss an Oscar goodbye. My take.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don’t think that’s ever been Quentin's motivation when making his films. Imo.

I think he loves the idea of other filmmakers and industry people praising and rewarding his work. I don't think he would likely change his work in order to please them. I think he will tell the story he wants to tell, whatever that may be.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety pointed out that The Movie Critic had received a $20 million tax subsidy to film in California.

Because this isn't getting made now, I hope that money can be reassigned to some other project that needs it. If Tarantino is starting over from scratch, I doubt he's going to have something ready to shoot imminently.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Okay sure but has he ever at any time said anything about a KB3?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy his films, but I find the whole arbitrary “only 10 films” thing to be so ridiculously stupid and limiting. If he wants to make more, make more.
I understand his desire to not want to keep making movies until he gets bad. That being said, I don't think his "cinematic legacy" will be tainted if he makes 11 movies instead of 10 even if one of them was absolute garbage. Especially since, given his previous output, it's incredibly unlikely that he would make a movie that was absolute garbage.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Okay sure but has he ever at any time said anything about a KB3?
I hope he does not make another Kill Bill. They’re my least favorite films of his, especially Volume 2. If a Volume 3 comes out, I think I would pass.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hope he does not make another Kill Bill.
Me too. I don't think there's any chance of KB3 happening and that was just another time where he fell in love with the characters and world he created so much that he wanted to stay there before finding a better idea to move on to. It's something that he's frequently done over the decades- that Vega Brothers movie after Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 3, I think I remember him mentioning a spinoff kind of a thing from Inglorious Basterds and he took it to new heights with Once Upon A Time In Hollywood when he actually published a fantastic novelization/expansion of the movie, he's written a bunch of episodes of Bounty Law & a Rick Dalton biography and he did a podcast to mark Dalton's passing where he talked about his fictional career as if it were real. According to rumor, The Movie Critic was going to be set in the OUATIH world (the Cliff Booth character was going to be in it) so maybe this movie is another time where he wanted to stay in a previous world but it went alot further along before he came to his senses.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Damn. Not exactly a tough conclusion to come to but I'd guess that he's now caught up with the idea of this movie being "perfect" since it's his last.
Well said.
I have been thinking this for a while. He was asked about OUATIH a while back and he said that it should have probably been his last film because he (and so many others) thought of it as his best film. The fact that he already had 'The Movie Critic' written, he knew it wasn't as good according to his own judgement.
If he indeed is making only one more film, it just didn't seem right that he of all people wouldn't be saving his best for last.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks