What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release The original KING KONG back in theaters for 1 Day Event (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
20161006_WHV_Fam_Batman_spacer.gif

After more than 60 Years

BUY TICKETS ►

WATCH TRAILER ►

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kind of wondering if this means a 4k release is forthcoming

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wow! I don't see many movies in the theater but *this* one is different! A loooong time favorite and possibly worth the ~$31 for me to take my grandson (who also likes it). And the theater here is having a showing...

**EDIT**
2 tickets purchased. Calendar marked. He had a big grin on his face when I asked and confirmed tickets.

FWIW a matinee is normally ~$18 for 2 tickets here. This is the most I've ever paid for movie tickets and Kong is one of a handful of films for which I'd pay the premium.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
One of my "bucket list" classics to see on the big screen, the way it was meant to be!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wow! That was a fun viewing and very cool to see one of my all time favorite classic movies on the big screen. There were ~12 people in the theater (including my 16yo grandson and me) so no crowd at all. The closest person was over 20' away. Our only theater also recently remodeled and all rooms have recliners, isolation from rows before/behind (you barely see people in front of you with a wall between you and the row behind you. There is also a large partition beside the isle seat so you don't see people going up/down the stairs. Because of the new layout there's absolutely zero distractions from other patrons (some people behind us got meals from the theater restaurant and we never heard a sound from them - not even rustling paper, plates, etc.). Unless there are other people on your row (ours had only the 2 of us) you'd never know anyone else was in the theater.

I looked at upcoming events. There are a couple I might go for but would love more of the ~1933-1960 classics to get showings like this... especially The Day the Earth Stood Still, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The War of the Worlds, and a few of the Universal Monster movies. I don't like the premium we pay (normal matinee here is $8.50 and this Fathom showing was $13.50 - that's more than a regular ticket) but would reluctantly pay it for these select few movies.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It appeared our showing at 1 today, the picture was cropped too tight. Missing headroom and there was a scene with Ann and Kong on the ESB. She’s lying on a ledge and when Kong was shown fully, Ann was only partially visibl.e.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back. Against my better judgement I went to the 4pm show.

It was great seeing it on the big screen. It was slightly out of focus which was a bit annoying but overall a great experience.

About a dozen people at my showing. Steered plenty clear of everyone.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I thought the picture was just a bit soft as well but chalked it up to being what looked like the BR being played (frankly, my BR looks lots better on my set - but it's nowhere near the size of that screen today). Overall it was good but lacking in the detail I expected to see.

I absolutely loved seeing it on the big screen and consider the visit to be the best theater experience I've had in almost 20 years.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
We were both really excited about seeing "King Kong" on the big screen but reluctantly cancelled. My wife's immune system is somewhat compromised and it just wasn't worth the risk. Glad other folks got to enjoy it, though!

Same here. Next weekend a local theater postponed their Sci-Fi Spectacular (a 30 hour marathon) which starts with Frankenstein, Thing From Another World and Destroy All Monsters. Hopefully they will still have the same movies in the rescheduled event. It looks like my ten day staycation is REALLY going to be a STAYcation!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks