What's new

The Walk (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
It may stay longer on select theaters (like the non-chain screens like that Smithsonian IMAX), but they probably have January or February commitments for the multiplex screens.

I believe Abrams has said that only one sequence was shot with the IMAX camera, so in my head I was expecting it to be far less IMAX footage than his previous film "Star Trek Into Darkness" (which had about half an hour), but I don't think anyone's confirmed a final runtime of that footage.

Thanks. Gotta admit I'll be disappointed if "Force" only has one IMAX scene - I expected at least 30 minutes.

I'll still probably see it real IMAX opening day. It's not like that'll be a BAD presentation, right? :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Colin Jacobson said:
Thanks. Gotta admit I'll be disappointed if "Force" only has one IMAX scene - I expected at least 30 minutes.

I'll still probably see it real IMAX opening day. It's not like that'll be a BAD presentation, right? :)

The question is, will IMAX be making any 15/70 prints of the movie, or not? So far they haven't commented. It's entirely possible it could be a digital-only presentation. I'm really hoping that's not the case, but we'll have to keep an ear out for format information whenever ticket sales begin.

I'll be seeing it in IMAX on opening day, the question is just, will the theater I go to be showing it on their 15/70 projectors, on the DLP projectors, or will they have the "confirmed to be coming at some indeterminate time" laser projectors installed by then?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can we get back to talking about "The Walk". This film also has an actress that I like in Charlotte Le Bon who caught my eye in Hundred Foot Journey. I hope she does more Hollywood films. Some have criticized Gordon-Levitt's French accent, but is that because the accent was terrible or because he's an American playing a Frenchman? I thought the accent was decent enough in which it wasn't a distraction while watching the film which is all you can ask for as he seem to capture the essence of the real Philippe Petit.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Back to topic: Like I said, this is easily one of the best live action 3D movies of the current 3D era.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sorry for taking us off topic earlier!

I'm hoping to see it tomorrow night after work - super excited. Just going by the trailer, I think this is gonna be the 3D experience of the year. And after reading the early impressions here, I'm even more excited.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
DavidJ said:
So Mikael, are you going to see it? It sounds like it could be tough for some. I don't suffer from vertigo, but I'm still a little hesitant. Of course, the biggest things keeping me from rushing out to see it are The Martian and Sicario.
I don't know, I'd like to, but I almost got dizzy just from watching the trailer in 2D. Even though I don't like heights, I can't stop myself from tickling the fear, when I was in Toronto, I had to go up in the CN tower (but I couldn't bring myself to step on that glass floor, I just held out my camera above it ;) )

Likewise, in Taipei, I went up the Taipei 101, but it was scary getting too close to the windows.

Crazy, I know :D

Loved the 3D in Gravity, somehow, that far from Earth, I felt no vertigo.

I have some time to think about it, it hasn't opened here yet (and I must see Spectre and possibly The Martian first).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Some have criticized Gordon-Levitt's French accent, but is that because the accent was terrible or because he's an American playing a Frenchman?
Of course it's because it's an American playing a Frenchman. Virtually every time I read a critique, I roll my eyes because it's based on people's knowledge of the actor's nationality rather than any failure of the actor. Not every person from a place sounds the same so how can a reasonable pass at an accent ever be wrong? I live outside of Philadelphia and any day, I can hear many different ways that people speak English so there's no 'correct' Philadelphia accent and the same is true everywhere else.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
His accent isn't that far from the accent of the real life person he is portraying.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This is the first film in a very long time I have walked out of and almost immediately felt as though I needed to vomit. I had to sit down for a while and close my eyes..nothing bad about the film, which is fun, but this is probably why I don't enjoy 3D movies often, I found the perspective really nauseating and it made entire chunks of the film pretty terrible for me..

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
This is the first film in a very long time I have walked out of and almost immediately felt as though I needed to vomit. I had to sit down for a while and close my eyes..nothing bad about the film, which is fun, but this is probably why I don't enjoy 3D movies often, I found the perspective really nauseating and it made entire chunks of the film pretty terrible for me..
Does shaky camera get to you too?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mikael Soderholm said:
I don't know, I'd like to, but I almost got dizzy just from watching the trailer in 2D. Even though I don't like heights, I can't stop myself from tickling the fear, when I was in Toronto, I had to go up in the CN tower (but I couldn't bring myself to step on that glass floor, I just held out my camera above it ;) )

Likewise, in Taipei, I went up the Taipei 101, but it was scary getting too close to the windows.

Crazy, I know :D

Loved the 3D in Gravity, somehow, that far from Earth, I felt no vertigo.

I have some time to think about it, it hasn't opened here yet (and I must see Spectre and possibly The Martian first).

I used to have no problems with heights, but as I've gotten older they've started bothering me. Have you seen the world's longest glass bridge in China? I'll probably never be over there, but part of me wants to walk across it even though I'm sure I'd be terrified. I also loved Gravity. The spinning at the beginning almost got to me. Then I settled in and had no problems.

mattCR said:

Reports like this worry me a bit.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I really enjoyed The Walk. It's as much a love letter to the Twin Towers and NYC as it is to Philippe.

Thrilling use of 3D with insane depth and good amount if pop out. The film was entertaining throughout and only dragged a bit in the second act.

And regarding Levitt's accent, I'm watching Man On Wire now and he sounds exactly like the real Philippe.

*** out of **** for me.

Oh yes....see it in IMAX 3D of course!;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
TravisR said:
Does shaky camera get to you too?

Not always, sometimes. One of the Bourne movies made me kind of punchy; but this was way more extreme than that.. I can't explain it, about part walk through the up high bit my head literally started to feel like it was going to explode; I can't think of having a similar experience with any film recently.. I didn't with Avatar, etc..

The last film that made my head ring in quite this way was Blair Witch, come to think about it, which did in fact result in me throwing up; but I had eaten right before the show.. had nothing to do with the horror, something about that otherwise got to me..

Same ringing head with this one; my friend drove us home.. I thought the core concept of the film was great and well executed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D.

Full disclosure: I am afraid of heights. So for me, this ended up being the most terrifying movie I've ever seen in my life. And I say that as praise: the movie was exhilarating.

Some of the very best 3D I've ever seen, period.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unfortunately The Walk is having a tough time at the box office. From Deadline:

"Sony TriStar’s The Walk is not expected to crack the top 10 this weekend with an estimated take of $1.2M at 448 theaters, which is below the $3M Sony was expecting. On the upside, Friday’s gross is +108% from Thursday, but the film is not performing at the same level as Everest which the walk 4debuted to $7.2M at 545 theaters.

‘The Martian’ Defies ‘Gravity’ On Friday; ‘Everest’ & ‘The Walk’ Large Format Quandary – Late Night Box Office
http://deadline.com/2015/10/the-martian-the-walk-sicario-weekend-box-office-1201565765/

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Unfortunately The Walk is having a tough time at the box office. From Deadline:
"Sony TriStar’s The Walk is not expected to crack the top 10 this weekend with an estimated take of $1.2M at 448 theaters, which is below the $3M Sony was expecting. On the upside, Friday’s gross is +108% from Thursday, but the film is not performing at the same level as Everest which the walk 4debuted to $7.2M at 545 theaters.
‘The Martian’ Defies ‘Gravity’ On Friday; ‘Everest’ & ‘The Walk’ Large Format Quandary – Late Night Box Office
http://deadline.com/2015/10/the-martian-the-walk-sicario-weekend-box-office-1201565765/
Isn't it still in limited release though? But I guess they're saying even for limited release its underperforming. It actually doesn't surprise me that much, this doesn't seem like a film that's necessarily going to appeal to everyone. And probably the accounts of vertigo/motion sickness are keeping some people away

I saw it the other day. I'll echo what others are saying that the visuals and 3D are first rate here. There weren't any instances to my eyes where the towers had any obvious CGI look to them and if they had botched that aspect it would have sunk the movie.

As for the movie itself pretty good, I think I'd go 3 out of 4 here.

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the narration from the top of the Statue of Liberty. Part of me thinks the movie could have done without it and it was slightly corny and it made the film seem less cinematic (as if I was watching a television commercial during those scenes). But maybe I'm being too critical on this point, if it's something that representative of the real Petit than I guess it makes sense.

I left thinking JGLs performance, while good, may have been slightly overstated. I could be completely wrong here (I've never seen or heard the real Petit), but there were times I was thinking "Ok I get it, you're a vibrant French guy" Also the film doesn't seem to assign him any real flaws. Yeah he shows some over obsession on pulling off "the coup" and sometimes pushes his "accomplices" a little too hard, but there's definately an air of "Perfect Protagonist" syndrome here.

Also regarding the ending
they really seemed to rush through the breakup of Petit and Annie, that to me should have been a more pivotal scene. She mentions going back to France to "Follow her dream, and that's pretty much it. We're not even told what that dream is (unless I missed something, it can't just be to strum a guitar in a Parisian public square, could it?)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Not always, sometimes. One of the Bourne movies made me kind of punchy; but this was way more extreme than that.. I can't explain it, about part walk through the up high bit my head literally started to feel like it was going to explode; I can't think of having a similar experience with any film recently.. I didn't with Avatar, etc..

The last film that made my head ring in quite this way was Blair Witch, come to think about it, which did in fact result in me throwing up; but I had eaten right before the show.. had nothing to do with the horror, something about that otherwise got to me..

Same ringing head with this one; my friend drove us home.. I thought the core concept of the film was great and well executed.
That sucks. I can appreciate your situation because I get motion sickness after about 10 minutes of shaky cam. I thought Captain Phillips was a wonderful movie but it had so much movement in the frame that I felt like I was going to puke or die or both.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Tino said:
And regarding Levitt's accent, I'm watching Man On Wire now and he sounds exactly like the real Philippe.

JGL said on one of the late-night talk shows that Petit trained him for the role, so he likely had a lot of opportunity to work on mimicking the accent. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wednesday is the movie's last full day in IMAX 3D theaters.

Even though I found the higher-up sequences to be absolutely terrifying in IMAX 3D, I'm seriously considering going back to see it again before it disappears. This is event filmmaking on a scale we don't usually get to see, and I'm all for encouraging films that combine the limitless possibility of a big budget with the heart and soul of smaller projects.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Go quick. It bombed in wide release this weekend, so it won't be in theaters long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks