What's new

UHD UHD Early Adopters/Buyers and Format Experiences (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMG_8153.JPG

Picked up the first two Hunger Games on 4K Blu-ray for $12.99 each!

I am getting a little concerned that Disney who claimed to have supported 4K Blu-ray has yet to anounce any 4K titles. And while Fox released a number of titles in 4K I am left to wonder what there plans are for future releases? What is Universal going to release beyond the Bourne movies? Will there be any old classics hitting 4K blu-ray in 2017? I would love to see My Fair Lady in 4K especially since the restoration scans where done in 8K and they did do a 4K file so they could use that. And I would love to at least see Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan on 4K Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I see that Disney and maybe a few others have not started releasing titles in 4K and it is hard to say when they will. And I can only speak for myself but I am tired of buying and rebuying movies and especially since my income is not that great. So for no on I will concentrate on 4K releases and even if there is a good transfer on 1080p blu-ray in most cases I will not be purchasing the 1080p version. I also will not buy it in a digital stream or download version ether. My focus is using what funds I have available to upgrade to Atmos/DTS X, eventually obtaining a 4K projection set up and building a 4K library which as of this moment will be my final format.

Titles wanted on 4K blu-ray:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: Rouge One
My Fair Lady
The King And I
Dirty Harry
Full Metal Jacket
The Matrix
Transformers
Jurassic Park (Depending on if it looks good enough)
American Graffiti
Open Range
Unforgiven

Plus other titles to many to list.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm buying everything I would buy now on the 4K format, I love it. I think Disney will make a CES UHD splash with DV discs.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I will get an LG 64inch OLED soon and am looking forward to testing HDR on it. Should be interesting to compare to my JVC projector in HDR mode. The OLED should win in every category but image size. :)
As expected the Oled is superb. The HDR is very nice but the it was the 3D that blew me away. No ghosting, practically no brightness loss, good colour, endless depth. I need 3D added to the UHD standard and 8K Oleds for passive 4K 3D. One can dream...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My biggest problem with UHD is solely on me. Something I haven't done in about 16 years since the extreme popularity of DVD. I'm blind buying nearly every title released. It isn't good for me. Came to that conclusion watching "Sully". Good movie, fantastic transfer. Will I ever watch it again? Probably not.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My biggest problem with UHD is solely on me. Something I haven't done in about 16 years since the extreme popularity of DVD. I'm blind buying nearly every title released. It isn't good for me. Came to that conclusion watching "Sully". Good movie, fantastic transfer. Will I ever watch it again? Probably not.

Boy can I relate to that, Bryan.

The thing is...I read your post and thought to myself...well, the cost of the disc is still cheaper than if you had gone to see it at the theater (incrementally so if you wanted it with other people). So (I'm thinking to myself) if you can sell it used (either to a private buyer or chain like FYE) than you can even recoup more of your money. The only problem with my thinking...is that I never do that myself.

And, I read your post just after I blind-purchased The Accountant 4k disc... :rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Boy can I relate to that, Bryan.

The thing is...I read your post and thought to myself...well, the cost of the disc is still cheaper than if you had gone to see it at the theater (incrementally so if you wanted it with other people). So (I'm thinking to myself) if you can sell it used (either to a private buyer or chain like FYE) than you can even recoup more of your money. The only problem with my thinking...is that I never do that myself.

And, I read your post just after I blind-purchased The Accountant 4k disc... :rolleyes:
Mike,

An underrated film. I think you'll enjoy it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

You could always do what I do - sell the non-keepers on eBay. I've sold most of the "I'll likely never watch it again" 4K UHD titles I've purchased for only 15%-20% less than what I paid for them, and in some cases almost as much as I paid for them. That works out to be a pretty cheap night at the movies. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
You could always do what I do - sell the non-keepers on eBay. I've sold most of the "I'll likely never watch it again" 4K UHD titles I've purchased for only 15%-20% less than what I paid for them, and in some cases almost as much as I paid for them. That works out to be a pretty cheap night at the movies. :)
That is probably the path I will end up taking.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
FYI Best Buy is having a deal until 1/21 where you can get $25 off a $100 purchase using Visa Checkout. They also have 20 UHD titles on sale for $19.99, so combining the two you basically get 5 titles for $15 each (have to add something cheap to bump it over $100)

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Boy, for $8 a piece and nothing in stock why not just rent a 4K title from Vudu for a 1 time viewing? They have Dolby Vision, too ;)

If you sign up for their 2-disc, $6.99 per month subscription it's only $3.50 per 4K UHD rental. Also, streaming quality != disc IMO. How many DV titles are available on Vudu?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If you sign up for their 2-disc, $6.99 per month subscription it's only $3.50 per 4K UHD rental. Also, streaming quality != disc IMO. How many DV titles are available on Vudu?

Everything you said is very true, but I thought if all he was looking for was a 1 time viewing, that streaming rentals would be a helpful suggestion, especially since that service doesn't actually have anything in stock.

I'm not sure how many DV titles Vudu has, but it's a healthy portion of their UHD selection. They also have some that are not available on disc.

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree that for a single viewing Vudu is worth a look, and your suggestion jogged my memory. I've been meaning to check out a DV title or two with my LG and now I know where I can go to scratch that itch. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmiller27
Recent bookmarks