What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD UHD Early Adopters/Buyers and Format Experiences (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks like Vudu is $10 per UHD rental, versus $8 for a UHD disc through 3D-Blurayrental. I could live with waiting a short time period for the disc, if the service didn't delay for really long wait periods. Subscribing for a couple of months would make it an even better deal. Also, my current Roku Premiere (not the Premiere+) streaming device does 4K, but not HDR -- I bought it before I thought I would be getting a 4K display.

Anyway, it's more of a general question about the 3D-Blurayrental service, as I am not really set up for either UHD or 4K streaming yet -- I could get Vudu through the Chromecast feature of my Vizio display, but I would need to run a digital audio cable from the TV to the AVR and figure out how to setup Chromecast. I'll probably eventually get a Roku Ultra, as I need to upgrade another old Roku 2 in another room anyway, so the current Premiere can be demoted to that room.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
3D-blurayrental offers UHD titles for rent. Has anyone used this service? Seems like a reasonably-priced solution for those titles I would only want to watch once.

I used it for 3D. I f you want to watch the disc vs streaming (me) and its one you dont wanna buy, thats perfect. Just request and wait till it comes in. Id rather wait vs watching it off Vudu UHD. While the PQ is great, audio can't top disc.

Im grabbing just about every UHD disc released now, unless it is just something I refuse to watch (Girl on a Train for example).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have over 30 4K/UHD titles now! My 4K/UHD panel is ordered and will most likely have it by the end of the month.
The best home theater purchasing decision I made in several years.

If a film has a Blu-ray and 4K/UHD release, I will purchase the 4K/UHD release, 99.5% of the time, even if it means waiting until the purchase price drops to a more reasonable amount.

I'm totally sold on this 4K/UHD format!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
3D-blurayrental offers UHD titles for rent. Has anyone used this service? Seems like a reasonably-priced solution for those titles I would only want to watch once.

I have used them for 3D disc rentals for several years now and they're great. I think they ship from the west coast so discs don't arrive as instantly as it seemed Netflix did back in the day, but they have a good selection and quality customer service. I've rented both ala carte and by subscription and had positive experiences with both.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I signed up for a subscription plan with them specifically to rent 4K UHD titles. After waiting more than 2 weeks for something in my cart to ship (all the titles I was interested in were listed as "short wait") and getting nothing I contacted them about the issue and was told I'd most likely have to wait a couple of MORE weeks before any of my wanted titles became available. Yikes! For me, waiting a 3-4 weeks to get a disc just isn't acceptable, so I canceled. If they work on improving their in-stock situation I may reconsider in the future, but for my needs they're just not ready for prime time right now.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How complicated is it to set up a 4K player? Can I just add one to my existing system and buy a 4K tv later and does it some how require a new amp?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How complicated is it to set up a 4K player? Can I just add one to my existing system and buy a 4K tv later and does it some how require a new amp?
I bought and used my Oppo 203 before getting my OLED panel.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you're using an AV receiver to switch your video then yes, it would have to be capable of passing 4K/HDR. However, most 4K disc players have dual HDMI outputs - one for video and audio and one for audio only. You can bypass an incompatible receiver by connecting the video output of the player directly to the display and the audio-only HDMI output to the receiver.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you're using an AV receiver to switch your video then yes, it would have to be capable of passing 4K/HDR. However, most 4K disc players have dual HDMI outputs - one for video and audio and one for audio only. You can bypass an incompatible receiver by connecting the video output of the player directly to the display and the audio-only HDMI output to the receiver.
Which is exactly how I have my setup before and after I got my OLED.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am running an Oppo 203 to my non-4k Plasma display. I am running my signal through a Denon X2000 (capable of 4k passthrough).

So i am using just a single HDMI cable to send the Oppo signal to the AVR.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just did a double-dip on "Lucy" and "Everest". I plan on sampling the latter film with the 3-D disc I already own as I'm in this 3-D versus 4K/UHD kick.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If and when I do get into 4K (the "if" is slightly disingenuous, as I already own 2 UHD BD titles), I think I will likely start with the BD player, as most players at this point have dual HDMI outs, and it's probably the least expensive place to start. It's similar to how I started in this whole HT addiction anyways: first the VHS HiFi VCR, then the receiver with coaxial digital in, then the DVD player, then various upgrades of displays, then HD DVD, then the HDMI receiver, then my first flat panel, followed by Blu-ray, then a 3D compatible receiver, then my 3D plasma. Now I'm to the point where I'm running out of inputs on my receiver. See what I mean by addiction? I'm so glad I have an understanding wife.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This week I've viewed several 4K/UHD discs including "Hancock", "X-Men Apocalypse", "Lucy", "Suicide Squad" and viewed several scenes from "The Bourne Identity". IMO, X-Men: Apocalypse and Lucy are reference discs.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
"Silence of the Lambs" and "The Princess Bride" just popped up on Vudu in UHD and Dolby Vision. Interesting to note the presence of HDR on these older titles...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I viewed the "Deepwater Horizon" 4K/UHD disc. I did have a few dropouts the last 10-15 minutes of the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Target is having a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale on blu-rays including 4K/UHD discs. I bought 19 more 4K/UHD discs, many of them on pre-order including La La Land, Harry Potter films. Planet Earth 2 and HIdden Figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wolffan91
Recent bookmarks