What's new

Untitled Star Wars Film (Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy) (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's easily the best Star Wars movie since 1980 because it's one of the few SW movies or TV shows in decades to not wallow in nostalgia.
It is a shame the entire sequel trilogy wasn't as bold. We will never know how amazing it could have been.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't see any value in relitigating The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker yet again. We've discussed both of them ad nauseam in several threads. None of us are going to change anyone else's mind anymore.

That being said, I'm confused as to how a new movie following Rey as the central character wouldn't function as Episode X by default. I've always liked Daisy Ridley In the role, but going back to her again makes this a de facto sequel to The Rise of Skywalker. That's not really expanding the franchise in different ways after the end of the sequel trilogy so much as just making another one.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
There's a lot of Disney Star Wars movies to be made until Disney can produce their limited edition planet destroying Death Star/Starkiller base billiard ball set. There's product to sell!

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I don't see any value in relitigating The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker yet again. We've discussed both of them ad nauseam in several threads. None of us are going to change anyone else's mind anymore.

That being said, I'm confused as to how a new movie following Rey as the central character wouldn't function as Episode X by default. I've always liked Daisy Ridley In the role, but going back to her again makes this a de facto sequel to The Rise of Skywalker. That's not really expanding the franchise in different ways after the end of the sequel trilogy so much as just making another one.

Definitely a sequel, given Rey is the lead. But of course Disney/Lucasfilm can give whatever labels they want to their projects… maybe to them Episodes 1-9 constitute the “Skywalker saga”, but this new Rey film is not part of that saga since it has no true Skywalker left (Rey’s decision to call herself a Skywalker notwithstanding).

My interest in this new film is due to Rey’s involvement (hopefully free from any Skywalker connections) and going forward in time rather than “filling in the gaps” as all the current and previous TV shows have been doing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Definitely a sequel, given Rey is the lead. But of course Disney/Lucasfilm can give whatever labels they want to their projects… maybe to them Episodes 1-9 constitute the “Skywalker saga”, but this new Rey film is not part of that saga since it has no true Skywalker left (Rey’s decision to call herself a Skywalker notwithstanding).
I think that simply because she does call herself Skywalker (with Luke and Leia’s blessing) that the new film would need to be part of the Skywalker Saga. Maybe it’s an epilogue, maybe the start of a new trilogy. Hey, George Lucas originally planned for 12 films.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's easily the best Star Wars movie since 1980 because it's one of the few SW movies or TV shows in decades to not wallow in nostalgia.
If we‘re talking Star Wars at its best, I’d offer up Andor, which in my opinion as a fan for 45 years, is the best the franchise has ever been.

The Last Jedi - which I did not dislike - is the only film in the series to make me feel nothing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think that simply because she does call herself Skywalker (with Luke and Leia’s blessing) that the new film would need to be part of the Skywalker Saga.

They can call it whatever they want, but it doesn't matter. If the film features Rey and takes place after The Rise of Skywalker, then it is a direct sequel to The Rise of Skywalker. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Is it any less valuable than rampant speculation of a film years off in which we know practically nothing? I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about anything. Stating my opinion about a film I love and nothing more. If someone else hates it until the day they die, more power to them. They are 100% correct in their opinion.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is it any less valuable than rampant speculation of a film years off in which we know practically nothing?

I'm not saying that you're wrong in stating your opinion. I'm saying we've already done that many times in other threads. So I don't see the point in my contributing to regurgitating the discussion here, as opposed to discussion about *this* film. If other people want to discuss those films further, that's fine. I'm not trying to police it or be a moderator, which I'm not.

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Kathleen Kennedy reveals first details.

Speaking to IGN(opens in new tab), Kennedy explained how the movie connects to the Skywalker Saga. "Well we're 15 years out from Rise of Skywalker, so we're post-war, post-First Order, and the Jedi are in disarray," she said. "There's a lot of discussion around, 'Who are the Jedi? What are they doing? What's the state of the galaxy?' She's attempting to rebuild the Jedi Order, based on the books, based on what she promised Luke, so that's where we're going."

Kennedy added about whether Luke will be involved in the story: "I don't know if we'll spend a lot of time in flashbacks or Force ghosts or things like that, but certainly, the spirit of what he represents to her is going to be significant."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think it would be fun to use the crawl instead of the “Previously on…” segments before each episode of The Mandalorian, Andor, etc….

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I think they should kick off each new season with a crawl. Doesn't have to be each episode but would be cool if they started the first episode of a new season off with it.

The Mandalorian

It's been five years since the destruction of the second Death Star...

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I loved the intro of Boyega's Finn in TFA. A fun, conflicted character, he energized his scenes in TFA and brought a lot of charisma. As the article mentions, he was one of the biggest missed opportunities in the sequel trilogy.

So much can be done to explore Finn's character:

* his history, and how he became a stormtrooper
* his force sensitivity
* his relationship with Rey
* etc.

Here's hoping he comes back.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
FWIW:

Mark Hamill and Hayden Christensen are rumored to be in the Daisy Ridley-starring film.

Now, I would never, ever share anything from GFR as a source, but this item had the distinction of being retweeted by Ming-Na Wen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks