What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (7 Viewers)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just finished rewatching Our Dancing Daughters, what a great film, I finally ordered the Blu-ray. I liked it way better than the first viewing

I also just watched Desire Me, I am on the fence on this one. It is only available on DVD. The last 15 minutes were great with Robert Mitchum, but the first half of the film was only ok, not much chemistry or interest with Greer Garson and Richard Hart. Mitchum saved the film in that great foggy sequence. Im tryin to decide if I want the DVD or not :) I will buy it and then it will wind up on Blu-ray a month later !

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A panel and highlights from the new TCM Classic Film Tour at the Warner Bros. Burbank studio.
George Feltenstein is on the panel. Any clips mentioned are cut out of video.

Ticket prices:
$95 - ADULT Age 11+
$82 - CHILD Age 5-10
$75 - SOCAL RESIDENT Age 5+

I think kind of expensive but I don't know what other studios charge currently.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A panel and highlights from the new TCM Classic Film Tour at the Warner Bros. Burbank studio.
George Feltenstein is on the panel. Any clips mentioned are cut out of video.

Ticket prices:
$95 - ADULT Age 11+
$82 - CHILD Age 5-10
$75 - SOCAL RESIDENT Age 5+

I think kind of expensive but I don't know what other studios charge currently.

the exorcist father merrin GIF

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
You just confirmed my greatest fear that DVD and Blu Ray discs don't actually last the 80-100 years that everyone says and really only last less than 20.
I'm not worried about this. The only discs I've ever had go bad on me are a handful from Warner, all pressed within a particular time frame at a particular plant. Nothing from any other company, and thankfully nothing else from Warner outside of those two parameters mentioned.

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Well if we can compare cds I have many from when they started and I have a few that got what they used to call digital rot. But these as well seem to have come from one plant. The overwhelming majority that are decades old are fine.
CDs are a little different from DVDs, but for sure, like you, I've had even better luck with them. Many of mine are 40 years old and still look and play like brand new.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
CDs are a little different from DVDs, but for sure, like you, I've had even better luck with them. Many of mine are 40 years old and still look and play like brand new.
That would be true. 99.99% of mine are fine and just listened to one I purchased in 1986. There was a well documented case of some UK manufactured discs - by Nimbus specifically - that had a very high percentage of rot/obvious discoloration/oxidation. I have some of those and they seem to play but I don't think they are immortal.

tvwesternslover

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred Abbott
Colt .45 & The Alaskans are great, but I wish they would release the other 2 seasons of the Paradise/Guns of Paradise 1988 series with Lee Horsley. Warner's released the first Complete season back about 9 years ago. Most TV collectors I know would love to have the complete series. I would be happy to purchase a new complete box series, no matter the cost. It was a great family-originated series with something for everyone.

Attachments

• Paradise Season 1.jpg
    Paradise Season 1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 12

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well if we can compare cds I have many from when they started and I have a few that got what they used to call digital rot. But these as well seem to have come from one plant. The overwhelming majority that are decades old are fine.
Yep, I think we're fine with CDs. They do so much less than video discs, 80 minutes of stereo music & that's it, they probably have a huge margin for error (& 4K discs do so much! I do worry about their long term viability). I still have a number of CDs that I bought in 1984, they play fine & look as good as new.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Yep, I think we're fine with CDs. They do so much less than video discs, 80 minutes of stereo music & that's it, they probably have a huge margin for error (& 4K discs do so much! I do worry about their long term viability). I still have a number of CDs that I bought in 1984, they play fine & look as good as new.
CDs generally fare better against authoring errors because they hold less information and therefore have wider gaps between the data tracks. This is also why CD-Rs typically have fewer authoring errors compared to DVD-R. Of course this doesn't account for poor manufacturing.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have a room with floor to ceiling shelves of CDs on 2 walls. I have only had I rot problem. The sides of the 20 or so discs (from RCA) of the Complete Crusoe went cloudy—I quickly made copies of each disc. RCAs reply to a complaint e-mail was “crickets”.
These were the first CDs with colour labels I remember. I find the originals will play if I clean off the cloudy layer, but it always comes back

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have a room with floor to ceiling shelves of CDs on 2 walls. I have only had I rot problem. The sides of the 20 or so discs (from RCA) of the Complete Crusoe went cloudy—I quickly made copies of each disc. RCAs reply to a complaint e-mail was “crickets”.
These were the first CDs with colour labels I remember. I find the originals will play if I clean off the cloudy layer, but it always comes back
That sounds like the case may be off-gassing causing that cloudy layer. I've seen that on some DVDs - they always clean OK but, eventually, that layer of crud comes back.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks