What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (20 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is WHITE HEAT out of print on blu ray? I was just looking on Amazon quickly and it's pricey. I wonder if it is headed to Criterion? They love Raoul Walsh and later WB films like Mildred Pierce and The Breaking Point.
I doubt it because Mildred Pierce and The Breaking Point didn’t have a prior Blu-ray release before Criterion released them. But, who knows what the future holds?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I doubt it because Mildred Pierce and The Breaking Point didn’t have a prior Blu-ray release before Criterion released them. But, who knows what the future holds?
That’s a very good point. My only hope is that being a part of a box set there would be a need/want to make a deluxe single disc edition of such an iconic film. And maybe a newer scan as that blu ray is a decade old at least?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
There is a LOT more music to clear in long-running TV shows than in a one-season show.

Rick
True, but you can release those shows one season at a time defraying the costs a bit.
I’d like to think the fans, would support those efforts right to the finish of each series.
Incidentally, lots of music in the Ozzie And Harriet show, and MPI cleared the music season by season until all 14 were out.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon is showing that the release date for June's WA titles has changed from June 18th to June 25th. Warner is that accurate information?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
True but so did the Alaskans so there is still hope. The rumored DVD release of Alaskans from around 2017-2018 never happened due to the Music Clearance.

Not the same thing. "Alaskans" was set in the 19th Century, so any songs performed would be of the period and thus public domain by now. 77SS and its brethren used a ton of tunes from the Great American Songbook, both performed onscreen and as underscoring. George told me that the shows would never make back what it would cost just to clear all those songs. He also mentioned that "Murphy Brown" never went past Season One because the Motown hits used on the track cost a fortune and it didn't sell well enough to justify another season's release.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Not the same thing. "Alaskans" was set in the 19th Century, so any songs performed would be of the period and thus public domain by now. 77SS and its brethren used a ton of tunes from the Great American Songbook, both performed onscreen and as underscoring. George told me that the shows would never make back what it would cost just to clear all those songs. He also mentioned that "Murphy Brown" never went past Season One because the Motown hits used on the track cost a fortune and it didn't sell well enough to justify another season's release.
Yes, and it SEEMS like WAC now has a different feeling and policy toward the old TV programs . Time will tell!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that the clearance costs might depend on projected market size. WHV releases were distributed far and wide to brick'n'mortar stores, as well as being sold on-line. WAC releases are generally restricted to on-line sales. Back in the day, Disney/ABC weren't interested in releasing Moonlighting on DVD because the music clearance costs were too high. But then, in 2005, Lionsgate -- which was a much smaller outfit than they are now -- licensed the show for DVD, and managed to clear not all, but a good amount of the music used in the show.

It's also, I believe, why sometimes a non-US label can clear the music more cheaply than a US label.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have a question:
I play my blu-rays on a 4k blu-ray rom on my pc.
Are all the WAC blu-rays pressed discs?
Because in 2 blu-rays I have purchased lately, the title that appears on my pc starts with MOD! (manufactured on demand)
I don't know, but I started worrying..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a question:
I play my blu-rays on a 4k blu-ray rom on my pc.
Because in 2 blu-rays I have purchased lately, the title that appears on my pc starts with MOD! (manufactured on demand)
I don't know, but I started worrying..
All Warner Archive Blu-rays are pressed discs!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

MOD just means "Manufactured On Demand", and has nothing to do with whether it's pressed or burned. MOD discs can be either. The easiest way to tell is to look at the data side of the disc -- burned discs are a darker color than pressed ones.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that the clearance costs might depend on projected market size. WHV releases were distributed far and wide to brick'n'mortar stores, as well as being sold on-line. WAC releases are generally restricted to on-line sales. Back in the day, Disney/ABC weren't interested in releasing Moonlighting on DVD because the music clearance costs were too high. But then, in 2005, Lionsgate -- which was a much smaller outfit than they are now -- licensed the show for DVD, and managed to clear not all, but a good amount of the music used in the show.

It's also, I believe, why sometimes a non-US label can clear the music more cheaply than a US label.
UK label pay a single fee for all songs that appear on a video disc. US companies have to pay a fee for each song which can quickly mount up!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Yes, it's amazing how my supposedly" fragile" burned DVD discs have survived nicely while many supposedly "longevity quality" pressed discs fail. A word of warning, though, about the Spanish BDs that have a higher failure rate. Perhaps the use of the "lifetime/100 year" archive blank discs may provide better protection.

Last edited:

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
MOD just means "Manufactured On Demand", and has nothing to do with whether it's pressed or burned. MOD discs can be either. The easiest way to tell is to look at the data side of the disc -- burned discs are a darker color than pressed ones.
Warner Archive DVDs were pressed too—until a certain point and then they started burning them on DVD-Rs / MOD. I'm not sure exactly what year that was though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks