What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Letter (1940) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
68414768_10157608712711563_5183010324852244480_o.jpg

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!
THE LETTER (1940)
Run Time 95:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO – 1.37:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features:
Alternate Ending Sequence; 2 Audio-Only Bonuses: Lux Radio Theater adaptation starring Davis, Marshall and Stephenson from 4/21/41 and Lux Radio Theater adaptation starring Davis and Marshall from 3/6/44; Theatrical Trailer (HD)
Six years after exploding to stardom in Of Human Bondage, Bette Davis equaled that excitement with another W. Somerset Maugham role as an adulteress using her sexual wiles to escape a murder...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
YES!!! Her greatest performance!

I hope this isn't much of a spoiler but I'll put it under a tag just in case. This movie contains perhaps my favorite Bette Davis "moment" of all

She's in jail, "counting down the days" and James Stephenson comes to visit her. She's chattering away and we're still not ENTIRELY sure of her guilt or innocence. Stephenson tells her about the existence of the letter, which she denies writing. As he pulls the letter out of his pocket, she glances up towards it and, acting with nothing but her eyes in a gesture that lasts no more than an instant, we immediately know the entire truth.

Gives me chills every time!

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Alternate ending!! Most curious about this. I just wish they had included the 1929 version, a very good movie in its own right and with the correct ending. Herbert Marshall is in both films. Jeanne Eagels was nominated, posthumously, for Best Actress in this, her last film.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm pretty sure the Alternate ending was included on the DVD. BRB...

Yes, it was.

Can't wait for this!

Man, FIVE BP noms for my collection in four months from Warners. If only some of the 1930's ones would be upgraded... But I really can't complain.

This is a great film. I've only seen it once, but I liked it. Can't wait to watch it again. I'm not the biggest fan of Bette Davis; in fact, I don't really like her at all, but she is an amazing actress.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
Although the ending was changed for this film, i love it!! those final close-ups of Bette...

she has worked herself up into a state i have never experienced in my life, yet it rings sooo

true and believeable.... masterful acting from the Grand Dame!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Alternate ending!! Most curious about this. I just wish they had included the 1929 version, a very good movie in its own right and with the correct ending. Herbert Marshall is in both films. Jeanne Eagels was nominated, posthumously, for Best Actress in this, her last film.
The alternate ending was included on the DVD, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the original, nor Jeanne Eagels spine-chilling, yet almost matter-of fact reading of the final line. I would have loved to have heard Bette say it though. A pox on all those blue-noses!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I haven't seen the film since MoMA's showing of The Letter in 1973, so I was unaware of the alternate ending. And yes, discovering the 1929 version (35mm print) during the Paramount retrospective (1972) was an unexpected pleasure. Eagels certainly proved that she could have been a major star in the "talkies" had she not succumbed to drugs. What a waste.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Excellent film - perfect in every way. James Stephenson is especially good as the lawyer; such a shame that he died at the young age of 52 - after having started acting in films only four years before his death..

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I wonder how many of us have come out of watching this film thinking, "Wow, Charlie Chan would be shocked and amazed to see how number two son is acting." :lol:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Last month, we got "Jezebel".
And then this month, we got "The Letter".
This makes me wonder if we're headin' towards a Wyler-Davis triple-play;
and by that, I'm talking about "The Little Foxes" for next month.
Maybe I'm being greedy or cleverly insightful; but, alas, only time will tell.:)

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Last month, we got "Jezebel".
And then this month, we got "The Letter".
This makes me wonder if we're headin' towards a Wyler-Davis triple-play;
and by that, I'm talking about "The Little Foxes" for next month.
Maybe I'm being greedy or cleverly insightful; but, alas, only time will tell.:)

Wouldn't THAT be a kick. Wonderful movie. As good as Davis is in that, and she IS, the movie is totally stolen IMO by Patricia Collinge recreating her heartbreaking stage performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks