What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Westworld Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Kind of why I posed the question regarding multiple instances.

Knowing what we know now, I'm not certain that (physical) Charlotte would have responded the way she did when (physical) Dolores was coaching her. Wouldn't she have already been on board?

I suppose this also raises the question - Will the multiple instances diverge in response to their experiences in our world? To the point of being in conflict?

- Walter.

Last edited:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Season 3 is pretty turning into a "who's on first, what's on second, I don't know is on third" skit. :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched three episodes, and overall I think I've just lost much of my interest in this show.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Man, where can I score some 'genre'? Folks talk about their lives having soundtracks, but this drug makes it real for Caleb. Loved the music choices...
  • Blend of Out of the Past and Vertigo for the noir segment
  • Ride of the Valyries for the action segment
  • Score from Love Story for the romance segment
  • Nightclubbing for the subway segment
  • Space Oddity as the data is being released
  • Music from The Shining concludes the musical interludes

So Dolores has unleashed chaos by revealing each individual's file on a global level and based on the Rehoboan infographic has severely messed with big R's ability to predict and script the future; much to Serac's dismay. One of the main themes of the episode was somewhat undersold but basically proposes that humanity is akin to the hosts in terms of operating in loops. (I do think we tend to be creatures of habit; so the idea of loops, has some plausibility to me.) I find the whole topic of freewill vs. pre-destination endlessly fascinating and am enjoying that aspect of Westworld immensely.

Three episodes to go; with Dolores initiating her plan what will Serac do?

Agree with Josh that it has been a high quality season.

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I agree it's a pretty terrific season. And I get that copies of Dolores are in all the hosts but Bernard and Maeve. But I still don't get why Dolores ever needed or brought Caleb along (other than, hey, we got Aaron Paul cast!). Is this something still to be revealed? I just don't get why she needs him.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I agree it's a pretty terrific season. And I get that copies of Dolores are in all the hosts but Bernard and Maive. But I still don't get why Dolores ever needed or brought Caleb along (other than, hey, we got Aaron Paul cast!). Is this something still to be revealed? I just don't get why she needs him.

I suspect that there is more to Caleb than meets the eye...

A) The show's producers tend to be tricksy, hiding information until a dramatic reveal.
B) Why would Dolores need someone like Caleb, assuming he is just a worker drone with a military background?
C) The visions / memories (?) that Caleb experienced in episode five might be the first hint that there is a backstory for him to be revealed that makes him important to Dolores or her plan.

Maybe it is as simple as getting Aaron Paul cast. (Still waiting for a 'yo bitch' or just 'bitch', but I suspect that won't happen.) We shouldn't have too long to wait given there are only eight episodes this year.

- Walter,

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For anyone who's given up on this series (I'm getting there), I recommend checking out the British series Humans. It covers a lot of the same ground and deals with the same themes, but without the pretentiousness.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I found that “humans” petered out as well. I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, but the 3rd was so dull that episodes accumulated on my DVR until I erased them without viewing.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I need a little refresher on how that big mind (can’t spell it’s name) can predict the future and control individual lives.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Rehoboam is the name of the A.I. that runs the world.

In terms of predicting the future, I think the idea is that it maps probabilities and millions of combinations of probabilities and assigns weights to outcomes to get a general sense of where something (like the stock market) is headed.

In terms of control of individuals, if the system can control (where you live, what employment opportunities you might have in the future, which school your children can attend, and so on) then it exerts a tremendous amount of control. We see this in Caleb's employment where his 'score' determines whether or not he is qualified for certain positions. The control can be subtle, but it is still present.

This control has a synergistic effect upon its ability to predict outcomes, because it has more data to work with; which is why Serac wants the data from Delos (to improve Rehoboam and by extension his ability to guide mankind to a safe future.)

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of psychohistory, from the Foundation series.

Agreed.

By the way, Nolan says that the inspiration for the A.I. name comes from John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar which features a super-computer named Shalmaneser.

- Walter.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
No love for Westworld S3?

Must say, ep7 was rather mind-blowing in terms of Caleb's true backstory (sorry, moderate spoiler/pointer there, but then again it was always signposted that there was more to it than we thought).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks