What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Westworld Season 3 (2 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see Elias in this episode. :)

I'm still very much on board with the series. I thought the action set pieces were really well choreographed in episode seven. Hosts and their gun allies, was pretty neat. One of the strengths of the series has always been its various musical pieces and I thought this was particularly the case in episode seven during the final act.

Enjoyed seeing how the season is coming together and looking forward to the finale.

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Meh. In the end I enjoyed this season more than the second, but not as much as the first. And, in the end, the ideas and themes put forth were nothing original or groundbreaking and that had not been earlier presented as far back as the 60s in episodes of Star Trek or Hal in 2001: Space Odyssey (and probably earlier in pulp sci-fi) But the real triumph this season was the production design throughout; that was awesome. And Aaron Paul's coif.

This review nails it:

https://tv.avclub.com/westworld-offers-a-shallow-hope-for-the-future-1843232670
All of the plot lines on this show are so damn muddy and inelegant; it’s possible to view them at a distance and see their design, but the closer you get, the more it’s just a mess of stalling and padding and action scenes until the Big Reveal that closes out the season.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I don't agree with that assessment, Wayne (nor do I agree with the AV Club's review--they have recently adopted a default contrarian view as some sort of attempt to be edgy).

While the ideas and themes relating to AI and free will (and "personhood") have certainly been explored before (though I don't think 2001 is a good example...) I don't think they have been simultaneously compared and contrasted with the themes of humanity and free will. I think the closest comparison in the last decade or so would be Jonathan Nolan's own Person of Interest TV show.

I think Westworld has been quite adept at exploring free will and identity of both AI (seasons 1 and 2) and humanity (season 3). In some ways the show has deconstructed the concepts (deconstruction in the classic sense of Derrida).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, wasn't a thrilling ride, this 3rd season. I almost like the BTS segments after the credits more than the actual episodes themselves.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I found the season finale to be a bit muddled; although I am endlessly fascinated with some of the topics and plot elements that were explored in season three. I am not certain that the choice is as binary as was presented in the series, but I haven't given it enough thought to post anything worth writing.

The influence of Person of Interest is still felt. Definitely got a flashback to that series as The Machine called out tactical advice to Reese and Root in one of the better action set piece segments of that show.

One of the big questions is where is this realm that presumably Bernard visited? I have always assumed that it is some sort of virtual space that exists apart from the physical world. If that is true, blowing shit up in the real world can have consequences. In the Culture series of novels by Iain M. Banks the notion that the most abstract logical constructs still have their foundation in the real universe is explored, meaning that there are certain dependancies tied to these spaces. Perhaps this will be explored in season four?

Still on board with the series, and looking forward to the next season.

- Walter

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I am not certain that the choice is as binary as was presented in the series, but I haven't given it enough thought to post anything worth writing.

Exactly, Walter! As I eluded to in my comment about about deconstructionism I think the show is asking the viewing to consider whether the ideas being explored are as binary as they are often portrayed. For example: do you either have free or not have free will? Are you "alive" or "not alive"?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Saw a article in the NYT that a fourth season is definetly coming, perhaps more. The season finale had me wondering:
Have we seen the last of Delores? I know that death is never an certainty in WW, but this season ender had a feeling of finality for Delores. At least that’s how I saw it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Saw a article in the NYT that a fourth season is definetly coming, perhaps more. The season finale had me wondering:
Have we seen the last of Delores? I know that death is never an certainty in WW, but this season ender had a feeling of finality for Delores. At least that’s how I saw it.

You'll know beforehand if the 'actor' is resigned, which will be reported in the trades.

Here, the creator Jonathan Nolan, says that character is dead and over, but he hedges on whether the 'actor' will return. I would say not from his tone here.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...han-nolan-lisa-joy-season-four-beyond-1293162

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks