What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I start with Mike Nichols and have long been hoping to see Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge make it to blu. I've seen rumors around these potentially coming from Criterion, which makes sense to me.
Those are probably my two favorite Nichols films and I'm shocked that they still haven't had a Blu-ray release much less 4K (I especially think "Catch 22" would look spectacular in 4K)

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I've mentioned it a few times, but I really want Jose Ferrer's "The Great Man". I don't think the film even received a VHS release, forget about DVD or Blu-Ray. I was always hoping that KL or even Universal's own MOD program would put it out, but no dice so far...

What I find interesting is that in 1957, there were three American films that dealt with the power of media, especially television, and how "image" could be manipulated and distort the reality behind the personalities the media created : "A Face in the Crowd", "Sweet Smell of Success" and "The Great Man". While the first two are now seen as classics (and have been given Criterion editions), "The Great Man" (which I only saw once or twice on TV probably back in the 70s or 80s) is practically a forgotten film , despite the fact that of the 3 only "The Great Man" made the NY Times 10 Best Films List for that year

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have Return To Peyton Place on DVD. I don't know if it's still available but the film is not forgotten.

CAGED (1950) {coming soon, I hope}, SLIGHTLY SCARLET (1956), HELL'S ISLAND (1955), THE TRAP (1959) UNMASKED (1950)

The Trap was released on Blu-ray disc by Olive. I think it's still available. I have the disc and it presents the film in two different ratios, something Criterion should think about.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've mentioned it a few times, but I really want Jose Ferrer's "The Great Man". I don't think the film even received a VHS release, forget about DVD or Blu-Ray. I was always hoping that KL or even Universal's own MOD program would put it out, but no dice so far...

What I find interesting is that in 1957, there were three American films that dealt with the power of media, especially television, and how "image" could be manipulated and distort the reality behind the personalities the media created : "A Face in the Crowd", "Sweet Smell of Success" and "The Great Man". While the first two are now seen as classics (and have been given Criterion editions), "The Great Man" (which I only saw once or twice on TV probably back in the 70s or 80s) is practically a forgotten film , despite the fact that of the 3 only "The Great Man" made the NY Times 10 Best Films List for that year
And I don't believe any of them were successful at the box-office. People just didn't want to know that they could be easily manipulated.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Dragonslayer
Enchanted April
The Secret Garden (90's version)
And a properly remastered version of "Secret of NIHM" (existing blu-ray is sub-par IMO). While we at it. How about a properly remastered version of the Prince of Egypt (again, existing blu-ray is sub-par).

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I was in film school in a major metropolitan market (Boston) right at the height of the indie boom of the early 1990s and made it a point to see just about everything released theatrically during that time. Many of those titles have been forgotten even to my memory, much less to popular culture at large. One title I'm surprised has slipped through the cracks was Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle (Alan Rudolph, 1994). The film was well reviewed and featured a very acclaimed performance from Jennifer Jason Leigh that was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Independent Spirit Award.

The Secret Garden (90's version)

I like this pick as well. That was by Agnieszka Holland. Her 1990 film Europa Europa is available on Blu-ray from Criterion, but I'd also be interested to revisit her 1992 Olivier, Olivier.

JoeB1952

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Busam
Still waiting for ADAMS RIB. Scratchin' my head as to why this Tracy/Hepburn favorite hasn't come out yet.

NIGHT WORLD (1932) Fast paced 60 minute gangster film from Universal. Boris Karloff, fresh off of FRANKENSTEIN plays night club owner/gangster Happy McDonald. Lew Ayres. Mae Clarke, George Raft round out the leads. The capper is the floor show choreographed by Busby Berkeley. It ran a few times on the old AMC in the early 90's and hasn't been seen since except bootlegs that derive from those broadcasts.

Speaking of Berkeley, his first film WHOOPEE! is in need of a face lift. It was restored by UCLA back in the early 80's. The technology wasn't available back then but the original 35mm Technicolor separation negatives still survive and the film could be restored in the same fashion as the recent Bluray of A STAR IS BORN (1937). Additionally the current DVD has had its color adjusted to bring blue in the palette. Much like the old DVD of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM.

THE BIG BROADCAST (1932) This funny, clever and inventive musical was Bing Crosby's feature film debut and he headlined a parade of wonderful music and comedy talent. Cab Calloway, Burns & Allen, The Boswell Sisters, Kate Smith, The Mills Brothers, etc. Director Frank Tuttle was a devotee of French director Rene Clair and much of his imagination is revealed in this film. While Universal has released a number of Crosby's Paramount's, this one has been conspicuous by its absence. It was restored about six years ago by UCLA. I attended a screening at the Cleveland Cinematheque and it was stunning. Like NIGHT WORLD, it was last seen on the old AMC back in the early 90's.

That's it for now but there are many more.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
How about Clean and Sober (1988) with Michael Keaton, Morgan Freeman & Kathy Bates, anyone?

Great picture with a tremendous performance from Mr. Keaton, one of his best. Should be on blu, this is probably a forgotten film.

I wouldn't say it's forgotten as TCM just aired it a week ago as part of their spotlight on addictions and recovery. I will say it along with some of his earlier films of the 80's are very underappreciated though.

I've heard about this film for awhile now. this film won him the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actor along with his more popular film of 1988 as well.

Its Showtime Reaction GIF by hero0fwar

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I wouldn't say it's forgotten as TCM just aired it a week ago as part of their spotlight on addictions and recovery. I will say it along with some of his earlier films of the 80's are very underappreciated though.

I've heard about this film for awhile now. this film won him the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actor along with his more popular film of 1988 as well.

Its Showtime Reaction GIF by hero0fwar

Back when this was made Keaton was thought of as a comic actor. He is just flat out awesome in this as is the supporting cast including an unforgettable turn by the amazing M. Emmet Walsh as Keaton's sponsor in the film. Having spent the last several years trying to help someone close to me deal with alcoholism it is stunning how right this film is. If you have never seen it, it is a must see.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
The original versions of "The Heartbreak Kid" and "Sleuth", both from 1972 and apparently in the same distribution limbo (the current owner of both is Bristol Myers Squibb). Neither is available for streaming outside of shoddy copies on You Tube. "The Heartbreak Kid" occasionally surfaces on TCM in a poor quality SD version.

"All of Me." Why this one has largely disappeared is a mystery. A critical and commercial hit in 1984 for which Steve Martin won Best Actor from the NY Film Critics Circle. Available on iTunes but only in SD/pan and scan.

"Star!" --- as mentioned by others in this thread.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
THE BIG BROADCAST (1932) This funny, clever and inventive musical was Bing Crosby's feature film debut and he headlined a parade of wonderful music and comedy talent. Cab Calloway, Burns & Allen, The Boswell Sisters, Kate Smith, The Mills Brothers, etc. Director Frank Tuttle was a devotee of French director Rene Clair and much of his imagination is revealed in this film. While Universal has released a number of Crosby's Paramount's, this one has been conspicuous by its absence. It was restored about six years ago by UCLA. I attended a screening at the Cleveland Cinematheque and it was stunning. Like NIGHT WORLD, it was last seen on the old AMC back in the early 90's.
A big second vote for this one. By the far the best of the "Big Broadcast" movies - and as JoeB1952 says "funny, clever and inventive". It often takes your breath away with its imaginative leaps and darts. And - right out of the gate - Bing is fully comfortable as a movie star. This is one of the few times Stuart Erwin doesn't bother me. He's quite okay here. And the musical acts are all fun. What with this picture, "Love 'Em and Leave 'Em"(1926), "This is the Night"(1932) and noir gems like "This Gun for Hire"(1942) and "Suspense"(1946) in his resume I'd say Frank Tuttle's a director of really admirable versatility.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This animated Oz film from 1974 though years vary from 1972 to 1976 would be nice to see on blu. Aside from watching the 1939 classic, Journey Back To Oz is the other Oz film I watched a lot growing up in the 90's on VHS.

The film was made by Filmation and was surprisingly released on DVD back in 2006. However since then the Flimation library has changed hands quiet a few times and is apparently now owned by Universal.

Some have considered this as the official sequel to the original 1939 film, but for me I see it as it's own film with elements of the original such as having Judy Garland's daughter, Liza Minnelli doing a spot on impression of her mother as Dorothy and Margert Hamilton trading in her iconic Wicked Witch of The West and voicing sweet Aunt Em instead.

1651430331722.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks