What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's left, unreleased on 4k, that you would pay $50 to own on day one? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I normally never purchase new 4k releases priced at $50 to own on its first week of release.

However, I put some thought into exactly what has yet to be released to the format, and if it were, would be worth buying at that price on day one.

The only title that came to mind for me, was ALL THAT JAZZ (1979). If Criterion were to reissue that film as a 4k release (which is highly possible), I would probably ante up $50 to own it on release day.

So, I was wondering if there were some unreleased titles that some of you would pay top price for, out of the gate, undiscounted.

Please be realistic with your answers. For example, the original untouched STAR WARS films will probably never see the light of day nor will SONG OF THE SOUTH. These always seem to be the standard "go-to" answers, but realistically, those releases will not happen.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The big question I would ask myself is what if I delay buying this disc? If the answer is nothing much, I probably wouldn't pay $50.00 for any disc. If there was a risk the disc might sell out quickly, I'd certainly slap $50.00 on the table for a 4K disc of Ryan's Daughter, Raintree County, Barabbas, Lord Jim, The Miracle, Cheyenne Autumn, Betrayed (the Lana Turner & Clark Gable movie), The Story Of Ruth and The Last Valley.

By tomorrow, I'll have thought of several more titles.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I normally never purchase new 4k releases priced at $50 to own on its first week of release.

However, I put some thought into exactly what has yet to be released to the format, and if it were, would be worth buying at that price on day one.

The only title that came to mind for me, was ALL THAT JAZZ (1979). If Criterion were to reissue that film as a 4k release (which is highly possible), I would probably ante up $50 to own it on release day.

So, I was wondering if there were some unreleased titles that some of you would pay top price for, out of the gate, undiscounted.

Please be realistic with your answers. For example, the original untouched STAR WARS films will probably never see the light of day nor will SONG OF THE SOUTH. These always seem to be the standard "go-to" answers, but realistically, those releases will not happen.
I was going to post the un-Lucased Star Wars, before I read your last paragraph.
My first thought is Great Expectations (1946),
and hopefully Criterion re-releases This Is Spinal Tap, with the original commentaries ported over.

Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ben Hur , Gone with the wind , Cleopatra (1963) , The Owl and the Pussycat , Doctor Zhivago , the missing Bonds , Mary Poppins , North by Northwest , Charade , Breakfast at Tiffany´s , John Carter
Yep- North By Northwest- good one. Goes on my list too. Great Hitchcock.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
First off, I assume these would be on a shiny disc, with that being said I can think of a number of titles where 50$ would be OK and given inflation and price increases elsewhere 50$ today is probably not much more than 25$ for a DVD when those were introduced to the market.

First off, I would like most of those that @Robin9 and @Keith Cobby have mentioned but most notably:

Raintree County
Barabbas
Ryan's Daughter
To Catch a Thief

plus some more:

El Cid
The Fall of the Roman Empire
The Agony and the Ecstasy
Cleopatra (1963)

The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Big Fisherman
Around The World in 80 Days
The Alamo

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
Khartoum
Sheherazade (1963)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Legend of the Lost
The Leopard
War and Peace (1956)
How the West Was Won

Limiting myself here to large format productions as there are other titles where I would be perfectly happy if they got a Blu-ray release, no UHD needed.

Also I have not listed movies where I expect the studios to release them anyhow or where not much work is needed as they exist in a some form of 4K that could be used towards a UHD release.

Those would be movies like Hello, Dolly!, Ben-Hur or Patton - not seeing why these could not be released when most of the work has already been done.

Edit: Looks like I was pretty spot on about inflation:
1713542443565.png

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for the responses so far, everyone

I want to make certain that people aren't posting their entire wishlist of what they want on 4k.

I should have limited the choices

The question is what are you willing to fork out $50 for on day one without waiting for a price drop

I hope these wishlists are all part of the answer

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the responses so far, everyone

I want to make certain that people aren't posting their entire wishlist of what they want on 4k.

I should have limited the choices

The question is what are you willing to fork out $50 for on day one without waiting for a price drop

I hope these wishlists are all part of the answer

With what I have sunk into this hobby in terms of hardware those 1000$ for 20 movies that I really want would be perfectly OK for me. Sometimes we tend to forget that we buy the hardware to enjoy the software and not the other way around.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My list comprises favourites which happily (and coincidentally) are large format and discs I would pre-order. It does seem that North by Northwest is coming this year (but hopefully before 31 December) and again hopefully White Christmas.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Raintree County, Cleopatra, The Sound of Music, Gone with the Wind*, Ben-Hur, White Christmas.

*I don't think GWTW would benefit as much as the other films on my list, but I'm adding it to my list because it's a favourite, a release seems likely, and I would absolutely purchase it on day one at this price point.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe five years ago I’d have said I’d pay $50 to get the de-specialized original Star Wars trilogy remastered in 4K. But not today, I just don’t care anymore.

And I can’t think of any other movie that makes me think “$50 for a disc, yes!!!”.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Leopard (Visconti)
The Wild Bunch
Gone With The Wind
Children of Paradise
The Hateful Eight
(70mm or extended version)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Not $50 but I would pay as much as $100* on day one for unmolested 4ks of True Lies, The Abyss, Terminator 1 & 2 (the blu-ray for Aliens is enough for me).
Also Raintree County.
Sorry but I think all 5 choices are un-realistic!

*I have paid lately as much as 118 euros for OOP discs, so $50 doesn't seem much to me. :P

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Interesting Post. Mine include:

The Greatest Story Ever Told
Porgy and Bess
El Cid
The Fall of the Roman Empire
The Great Waltz (1972)

But I'm not expecting any of these to surface.

There are some other films, mostly with large format photography, which I would definitely upgrade from my existing Blu-Ray, but probably not at a $50 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks