What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (4 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Head of the Class season 4---directly from Amazon....a bootleg.
I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm not happy.
It wouldn't be the first time. For many years Amazon offered a 3-Volume Ben Casey edition. It was expensive. It was truly awful, and a real bootleg. I know because I was dumb enough to buy them. Here's two of them.

Ben Casey-TV Series- 20 Classic Episodes -4 Disc Set-Volume TWO

Ben Casey-TV Series- 20 Classic Episodes -4 Disc Set-Volume THREE

In case you want to know why these bootlegs get to Amazon. Just read some of the customer reviews.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Head of the Class season 4---directly from Amazon....a bootleg.
I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm not happy.

I posted a recent rant about this issue on another thread on here.

Apparently bootleggers have become problematic where the counterfeit copies have been "mixed in" with the legitimate stock owned by amazon. I have been doing pre-orders of upcoming tv season sets to get around this problem. (Though no easy solution for older catalog titles).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It wouldn't be the first time. For many years Amazon offered a 3-Volume Ben Casey edition. It was expensive. It was truly awful, and a real bootleg. I know because I was dumb enough to buy them. Here's two of them.

Ben Casey-TV Series- 20 Classic Episodes -4 Disc Set-Volume TWO

Ben Casey-TV Series- 20 Classic Episodes -4 Disc Set-Volume THREE

In case you want to know why these bootlegs get to Amazon. Just read some of the customer reviews.
Thanks. I’ll have to check into it.
I posted a recent rant about this issue on another thread on here.

Apparently bootleggers have become problematic where the counterfeit copies have been "mixed in" with the legitimate stock owned by amazon. I have been doing pre-orders of upcoming tv season sets to get around this problem. (Though no easy solution for older catalog titles).
Absolutely pre-ordering from now on. this should eliminate the problem.

This bootleg I got was just hideous packaging. The art looked like the printer was out of ink, and the text was wildly off center, and mashed around in strange spots. The discs are pressed which is weird.

Amazon is going to get an earful…..but is it even worth complaining to them? Will they care enough to change it?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Amazon is going to get an earful…..but is it even worth complaining to them? Will they care enough to change it?
No they will not, even if the rep says they do. Don't waste your time Bryan. They're just as very successful with you or without you. After being a customer for over 30 years I made my last intended Amazon purchase on July 25th, 2023 and then my final purchase on July 31st to use up a gift card after being treated quite poorly.

Never again for me. Oh yeah, there is life after Amazon.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

So far amazon has accepted all my returns of suspected bootlegs with a full refund.

In the return procedure, I explain in detail why it is a bootleg such as single-layer discs (ie. less than 5 gigabytes) with no encryption. In the return package, I also include a handwritten note outlining details why it is a bootleg.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Bought today at Bull Moose: Lars von Trier's The Kingdom Trilogy on Blu-ray.

Kingdom CS.jpg

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
1714521873967.png

Just arrived today. I enjoyed the 8 episodes I have seen from the two Alpha sets and am looking forward to watching more soon. Film Chest is a little company about 30 minutes from my home here in Connecticut. They only release a classic tv series once a year or so, but always do a really nice job.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
View attachment 221112

Just arrived today. I enjoyed the 8 episodes I have seen from the two Alpha sets and am looking forward to watching more soon. Film Chest is a little company about 30 minutes from my home here in Connecticut. They only release a classic tv series once a year or so, but always do a really nice job.
Great to hear, Glenn! My Colonel March of Scotland Yard set shipped from Amazon Canada today, and I should have it tomorrow! I too have the Alpha DVD-R releases, but have never seen all the episodes, so it will be great to have the complete series!

I agree, Film Chest is a great little company, and I have nearly everything they have released over the years. Most recently, their excellent complete series of Decoy and Deadline, which I love!

I recently chatted with Film Chest's representative on Facebook, and they said they were very excited about this new release. And they also said to "stay tuned!"

I hope that Film Chest found more film source treasures in that fabled New Jersey garage!

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Tara King has arrived. Took a chance on getting this through Amazon because the seller had multiple copies for sale. That's usually a red flag that it might be an illegal dupe. Since Amazon has a liberal return policy, I wasn't too concerned.

However, upon opening and playing a couple of the discs for reference, it looks and sounds amazing. I don't have a Blu-ray drive to look at file data, but from my display on my TV, it's perfect. Complete set with booklet and bonus movie.

Only a $30 markup from the imprint website, which has this long sold out.

I love the Imprint Boxes but they always arrive dinged in the corners. Ah well.

IMG_9474.jpeg

I should have the Emma Peel set by the end of the week. A pretty dinged up used copy from eBay, but it was cheap. I can't seem to find it anywhere uncheap. 🤣

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
After much torturous thought and crunching of number$ (oh, the trauma of it all), I've finally decided to complete my Bonanza series by incrementally buying seasons' 10 to 14, and the remastered season 2...already having seasons' 1 to 9 in the original CBS/P DVD sets, I decided it would be far too wasteful for me to buy the recent all-in-one complete series set (even though that would be marginally cheaper, I also hate those mega cases with overlapping discs).

ViaVision from Australia released seasons' 10 and 11 in region-free single cases (also region 4, so be careful if that's an issue for you), and both seasons were originally in two separate and more expensive volumes as was CBS/P North American custom. And I will eventually buy the CBS/P seasons' 12, 13, 14 and remastered season 2 at first opportunity...first up, Bonanza season 10 (1968-69, still 30 episodes in that latter season, when most other shows had cut back to 24-26)...
1715046072112.png

B.L. Stryker, first six TV movie length episodes (12 total) of the great Burt Reynolds' 1989-90 ABC Mystery Movie series...Burt and Tom Selleck produced series filmed on location at West Palm Beach and Burt's hometown of Naples Florida...Burt as a P.I. living on a houseboat (reminds me of the WB's earlier series Surfside 6 in 1960-62), and with Ossie Davis and Rita Moreno among the regulars...the second volume is very hard to track down, released separately and then together as a complete series set from Hart Sharp video, under the TV Guide moniker in 2008 (much as with both seasons of Banacek which I have).
1715043761557.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks