What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for a few words about… Killers Of The Flower Moon - in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have any Apple-owned productions received a physical release? I assumed this would be an AppleTV+ exclusive for the foreseeable future, unless Scorsese somehow managed a deal that would allow Criterion to license it after an exclusivity period. I have quibbles with the film, but I plan on revisiting it and wish I could own a copy.
This might get a physical media release with Paramount partnering with Apple on this film. If so, it probably won't happen until months after the Oscars.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
CODA, albeit only in Italy and Japan.
Apple didn't own CODA in Italy. Apple bought CODA at Sundance, but the film was initially financed by pre-selling the foreign distribution rights. Apple attempted to buy the Italian rights back after the Sundance deal, but the Italian distributors refused. Not sure about Japan or Australia, but I presume it was a similar situation.

My understanding is Apple financed and owns KotFM entirely, and Apple is paying Paramount to distribute the film theatrically. The $200 mil budget was justified as a prestige play to lure subscribers to AppleTV+.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apple didn't own CODA in Italy. Apple bought CODA at Sundance, but the film was initially financed by pre-selling the foreign distribution rights. Apple attempted to buy the Italian rights back after the Sundance deal, but the Italian distributors refused. Not sure about Japan or Australia, but I presume it was a similar situation.

My understanding is Apple financed and owns KotFM entirely, and Apple is paying Paramount to distribute the film theatrically. The $200 mil budget was justified as a prestige play to lure subscribers to AppleTV+.

It would be a shame if this fine film doesn’t get a physical media release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would think Scorsese would want a physical release at some point. The Irishman was eventually put out by Criterion. That would seem to be some middle-ground between a mass-market, future Walmart bin release and one with a bit of prestige.

Though it would also mean at a future Criterion sale, you could have both this and John Waters' Pink Flamingos in your cart. ;)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Given that it’s co-financed by Apple and Paramount, I would not be surprised to see Paramount handle a physical release.
Paramount did not finance it. Apple is paying Paramount a distribution fee, and Paramount is paying for theatrical marketing, but Apple financed the entire production and owns all rights to the film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the idea of getting subscribers is correct but I can't imagine that plan working out financially. I probably would have gotten Apple + for a month just to see this (and then canceled the service) and I'm sure that there will be people who will subscribe to see Killers, like other things they see & keep the service but how many subscribers would they need to make $200 million worth it? I'm glad both Apple and Netflix gave Scorsese massive amounts of money but neither can have seriously thought that they'd be turning a profit when the budget was that big.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I'm sure the idea of getting subscribers is correct but I can't imagine that plan working out financially. I probably would have gotten Apple + for a month just to see this (and then canceled the service) and I'm sure that there will be people who will subscribe to see Killers, like other things they see & keep the service but how many subscribers would they need to make $200 million worth it? I'm glad both Apple and Netflix gave Scorsese massive amounts of money but neither can have seriously thought that they'd be turning a profit when the budget was that big.
Well...that's the entire financial struggle with streaming services right now. There's no generally accepted way to account for P/L on specific films. Wall Street initially valued streaming services like upstart tech companies, which are expected to lose money at first as long as the user base grows. When KotFM was greenlit in 2020, the streaming services were spending billions on content, losing tons of money, and that was okay with Wall Street as long as the number of subscribers grew.* So, the film likely was never intended to "profit" in the way most people think. It was a prestige play for Apple to put a halo around the Apple TV+ service and further establish the brand identity. In other words, it was basically budgeted as a marketing expense for the service. Apple can afford it. Their Q3 2023 earnings were 81.8 billion. $200 million is a rounding error for them.

*Then Netflix reported that it lost subscribers for the first time in April 2022. Ever since then, the streamers have been clamping down on spending -- which is fueling the strikes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DiCaprio was reportedly paid $30 million. That seems completely unnecessary.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Actors are negotiating higher up-front salaries for streaming films because there's limited back-end profit participation on theatrical. $30 million is the same number DiCaprio was paid for Don't Look Up, and it's arguably low for him, considering he made $50 million on Inception after profit participation and $40 million on Titanic 25 years ago.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
If I were to see this film it would be at home so I'd be able to have as many intervals as I wanted. But the intense violence of Mr Scorcese's films (excluding THE LAST WALTZ and SHINE A LIGHT) makes that unlikely.

In brief summaries of the film I've noted the phrase 'killing one by one', suggesting he has continued his addiction to violence. In a week in which one man committed twenty two murders I'm curious as to whether the admirers of this film are happy with seeing more beautifully filmed deaths.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I were to see this film it would be at home so I'd be able to have as many intervals as I wanted. But the intense violence of Mr Scorcese's films (excluding THE LAST WALTZ and SHINE A LIGHT) makes that unlikely.

In brief summaries of the film I've noted the phrase 'killing one by one', suggesting he has continued his addiction to violence. In a week in which one man committed twenty two murders I'm curious as to whether the admirers of this film are happy with seeing more beautifully filmed deaths.
Do yourself a favor and don’t watch the film at all.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Actors are negotiating higher up-front salaries for streaming films because there's limited back-end profit participation on theatrical. $30 million is the same number DiCaprio was paid for Don't Look Up, and it's arguably low for him, considering he made $50 million on Inception after profit participation and $40 million on Titanic 25 years ago.
Sorry but nobody is worth 30 million for a few weeks work. Sharing that amongst the cast would be fair, proportional to how big their role is.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

This is an absurdly offensive post and has no business being posted here at the HTF imo.

Especially this comment
“ In a week in which one man committed twenty two murders I'm curious as to whether the admirers of this film are happy with seeing more beautifully filmed deaths.” 👎

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autismcoe
Recent bookmarks