What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know that Paramount + has their baked in commercials ( promos for their original series) at the beginning of everything I watch on that service. I hate being forced to watch the same segments over, and over again. Very annoying. I believe my Starz sub is the only one left untouched, but I'm sure they will adopt this obtrusive streaming behavior at some point.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I know that Paramount + has their baked in commercials ( promos for their original series) at the beginning of everything I watch on that service. I hate being forced to watch the same segments over, and over again. Very annoying. I believe my Starz sub is the only one left untouched, but I'm sure they will adopt this obtrusive streaming behavior at some point.
It’s ridiculous to pay for the service then get those stupid promos.

But, instantly quit the promo, it returns to the show’s menu, then play again. The promo won’t play the 2nd time. The show starts immediately.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I don't mind watching them if it's something I'm interested in. Unfortunately, most of the time it's for something I'm not interested in.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't mind watching them if it's something I'm interested in. Unfortunately, most of the time it's for something I'm not interested in.

Indeed-- I would hate to go there and select that In Between film (I have this now on physical, but still...) and have to go through commercials for shows and films I wouldn't touch with a 10-ft. pole.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
My frustration is... Disney+ doesn't provide the MaxCLL/FALL values for HDR content, unlike Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.. :(

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
What’s that?
If you have an 'HD Fury' device (connected through HDMI), it can display the maximum HDR luminance based on the input signal. Think of it like the bitrate info available through the hidden Netflix 'Stats for Nerds' menu (or Apple TV).

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
MGM+. Took 7-day free trial of MGM+ on Prime so I could watch "The Beekeeper" (If we employed people like this, how did 9/11 happen?). Anyway, clicked around and found both "Ben-Hur" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in mono sound without ovetures. Very didappointing.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
MGM+. Took 7-day free trial of MGM+ on Prime so I could watch "The Beekeeper" (If we employed people like this, how did 9/11 happen?). Anyway, clicked around and found both "Ben-Hur" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in mono sound without ovetures. Very didappointing.
It's sad that They don't play the "road show" versions of thier own movies, but most of the staff weren't alive when these classic films were in the theaters in that form. So, I can understand the presentation being in a more straight forward manner. This is why I enjoy the physical discs over streaming. When you want to experiance the full monte...you can!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Going to an antenna ($50) was great for me. I get close to 30 channels, and half of them I really enjoy in HD.

I am now getting METV, a station from Chicago 190 miles away clear as crystal--- it is great. I love this channel!

I'm not sure how but I did a little research:

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I am now getting METV, a station from Chicago 190 miles away clear as crystal--- it is great. I love this channel!

I'm not sure how but I did a little research:
When I was growing up in the Philadelphia area in the early 1980s, we were able to pick up what was then known as WNBC 660 AM from New York with a standard antenna as well as WABC-TV 7 from New York, albeit a bit fuzzy, also with just a regukar pair of rabbit ears.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I also grew up in Philly right in the heart of Kensington but we never had that luck.
We did spend our summers at Wildwood and whatever that cable system was there included the NY “UHF” channels.

I was able to watch all the NY sports all summer, this was middle to late 70’s well into the 80’s and it was great to be able to watch those great Yankee teams as well as access to the Ralph Kiner era of the Mets.
This was also when I first found out about old tv shows like The Honeymooners and the different various versions of The Life of Riley.
That was channel 9 and channel 11, WOR and WPIX.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
From the close-in western Philly suburbs, growing up, I used to move the rabbit ears to try and pull in the New York stations. Channel 7, WABC-TV was always the easiest as it was far away in frequency from any Philly signals. There were times when it came in almost like a local, and other times when the signal was barely viewable. I remember trying to tune in WABC-TV 7 on the nights of the finale of THE FUGITIVE in August 1967. The local ABC, WFIL-TV 6, preempted the live broadcast of THE FUGITIVE because of Phillies baseball games. They aired THE FUGITIVE after the game was over, about an hour late. Unfortunately, channel 7 wasn't coming in all that well that night, so I had to wait.

When tropospheric ducting occurred, I could pick up all sorts of stations from all over the eastern half of the country. The farthest I ever got was from Dothan, Alabama.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
In the '60s, we lived in Windsor. This is across from Detroit. At that time, Michigan or Ohio, I forget which one, did not have daylight saving. All our TV came via an antenna with a rotar. We got about 20 stations. I remember watching a Carol Burnett one Saturday and laughing so hard I wanted to see it again. I had the antenna rotate so that the antenna pointed to Toledo, and I watched he show again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfarrukh
Recent bookmarks