What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2024 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What did Sterling do, before he took over as the Yankees guy in 1989? Was he the local all sports voice, like Mad Dog Russo, and the guy he used to work with (forget his name)?
Sterling was in Atlanta for a while doing Braves and Hawks games, but he did New York Nets and Islander games before he left NYC for Atlanta.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sterling hosted a talk show on WMCA Radio from 1972-1978 and also did Yankee pregame shows for a time when they were on WMCA. During the 1976 and 1977 postseasons he and Mel Allen co-hosted pre and postgame shows including these memorable shows after Game 5 of the 1976 ALCS and Game 6 of the 1977 WS.

John took a lot of unfair abuse over the decades from sports media critics, but for me he was the voice of the Yankee Dynasty and he and Michael Kay together on radio from 1992-2001 tie with Phil Rizzuto-Frank Messer-Bill White for the greatest Yankee announcing teams I ever heard. (his immediate predecessor in the Yankee radio booth, the forgettable Hank Greenwald was the worst Yankee PBP announcer I ever had to suffer through).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
His retirement isn't due to health concerns as the NY media/New York Post got that wrong. He's retiring because he lost the passion for the job. He's 86 years old on July 4th so he's just plain, tired out.

With all that said, I used to like Sterling when he did sports radio in NYC back in the early 1970s. However, as a life-long Yankees fan, I wasn't a fan of his doing play-by-play on the radio.
I happened to listen to part of a game last week and I was put off by how the broadcast team had such low energy. I switched to the other teams radio broadcast….

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Someone I chat with on a forum who's in Philly, immediately hated the idea of Philly's recently unveiled City Connect uniforms when I pointed them out to him recently and asked that same question. So I looked for the official wording behind them when they first started coming out thee years ago, according to MLB, this statement is why these were introduced: The Nike MLB City Connect program was created to celebrate the bond between each Club and its city. This uniform series explores the personality, values and customs that make each community and their residents unique. Nike and MLB Clubs partnered to design jerseys inspired by their cities to celebrate new baseball traditions and invite more fans into the game of baseball.

They do leave out "making money" for the teams, too. If you like a team, you're apt to buy the new things in some way or fashion. Teams do change their uniform looks/styles more often than you'd think, except for a few franchises, like the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox.

The Dodgers original City Connect uniforms made them look like they were wearing pajamas. Last year they traded the blue pants for white and tey looked much better. According to MLB articles about City Connect jerseys for this year, the Dodgers are doing a third take!

Screenshot-2024-03-13-at-3.11.10-PM-672x721.png

I was all for this when it began, but been disappointed in almost all of them. I like the Nationals the best, but the article I read says they are retiring them after this season. What I don't like is MLB allowing teams to wear shoulder patches that some company buys to advertise on their uniforms. Most of them look horrible. They didn't last year, but this year the Dodgers have one. A blue patch with a big G on it. I didn't even want to know what it was for a month. It's not as bad as it could be, the G stands for the Guggenheim Group that owns the Dodgers.

If you want to see it:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGUwqNzaoAAQZzr?format=jpg

Im a guy from Philly and I really did not like these Phillies unis.
They are just plane ugly from the dark blue on top that fades into black halfway down the shirt.
The terribly ugly font is terrible.
There was nothing in that design that connects with Philly. Except for the Tiny and hard to notice city skyline on the liberty bell on the cap.

They have been panned by maybe 80% of the people on Phillies twitter and the Reddit Phillies group.

Saying they are made to celebrate the city is probably true in there intent but it’s clear they do this just to sell another bunch of jerseys To people who already have the others.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mets won another game last night. Pirates kind of made mistakes that led to it. Really pleased with the Mets play right now though.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The Dodgers minor league team, the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, rebranded themselves the Chaquetas for a promotion; oops! -- now that's funny! If you don't want to read the article it means:
--chaqueta
Means "jacket" like leather jacket.
Also means "jerk off" "jack off" masturbate" "hacer la paja"

screenshot-2024-04-15-at-4-51-03-pm.png

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Dodgers minor league team, the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, rebranded themselves the Chaquetas for a promotion; oops! -- now that's funny! If you don't want to read the article it means:
--chaqueta
Means "jacket" like leather jacket.
Also means "jerk off" "jack off" masturbate" "hacer la paja"

screenshot-2024-04-15-at-4-51-03-pm.png

Well, that’s going to be changed in a jiffy. Thank you for the laugh- I sure needed it.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Also on 4/19 the Mets City Connect jerseys will be unveiled.

So what do you think of them, Tim? I've read an article here and there about them. The articles I've seen all use a photo of Brandon Nimmo wearing the new uniform and I don't know why they used that photo, in it he looks way less than enthused.

MLB writer David Schoenfeld, writes: Grade: F. This feels like a big swing and miss for the obvious reason that it gives off a Yankees vibe rather than a Mets one, and you can't screw up worse than that. Why not go with "Queens" on the chest rather than the predictable "NYC"? And the Queensboro Bridge cap just doesn't work.

I have to agree that it gives off a Yankees vibe. And my first thought seeing a photo from just the waist up was that it looked like prison garb. All the articles talk about using purple, but it's scant, unless they wear purple arm sleeves.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t understand using these ugly colors on a special jersey.
Bleh

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So what do you think of them, Tim? I've read an article here and there about them. The articles I've seen all use a photo of Brandon Nimmo wearing the new uniform and I don't know why they used that photo, in it he looks way less than enthused.

MLB writer David Schoenfeld, writes: Grade: F. This feels like a big swing and miss for the obvious reason that it gives off a Yankees vibe rather than a Mets one, and you can't screw up worse than that. Why not go with "Queens" on the chest rather than the predictable "NYC"? And the Queensboro Bridge cap just doesn't work.

I have to agree that it gives off a Yankees vibe. And my first thought seeing a photo from just the waist up was that it looked like prison garb. All the articles talk about using purple, but it's scant, unless they wear purple arm sleeves.
I think it’s fine. It’s definitely different than their normal uniforms. I like the references to the 7 line. The hat is fine.

I think overall I just like the Mets standard orange and blue uniforms and the normal alternates they’ve done over the years.

The NYC texts reminds me of the homestead Greys jersey font. I don’t mind the pinstripes because the Mets wear those too. I get the Queens thought and I thought they would do something with that too. However the Mets are New York too. Even if they are in the shadow of the Yankees.

So I won’t be running out to buy these but it’s fine for what they are. Even the hat, I already have a black Mets hat! I do like the purple. I think the F rating is a bit harsh given what these uniforms are designed to be. Radically different from the normal jerseys.

How hard will it be for the Yankees to come up with a city connect jersey?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mets win again. 9-4. Too late for me on the east coast but they were up 4-0 when I went to bed. Exciting game!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
White Sox have already been shut out 7 times this year, in just 19 games. I read someone projecting their being the worst team in the league this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks