What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2024 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All possible since things go in streaks anyway. Interesting that after I posted that noticed that one of the ESPN reporters has a Video discussing the same thing. I've watched only a few innings this year, but much of May I heard a couple Braves announcers mentioning the top of lineup issues. I'd never really looked into it until the 3 HR inning Friday night when i saw Olson had only hit his 4th and notice the general OPS of much of the lineup is pretty bad

Ozuna and d'Arnaud are the only players with an OPS above 800 and Albies the only other even above 725

I remember posting Acuna's numbers several times last year being most amazed at his drastic improvement in career K rate (from 1:3 to 1:8). This year he's right back at the 1:3 ratio and over half his total 2023 K's already though his walk rate is almost identical - just his contact rate and hard hit contact rate esp. is pretty low

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
All possible since things go in streaks anyway. Interesting that after I posted that noticed that one of the ESPN reporters has a Video discussing the same thing. I've watched only a few innings this year, but much of May I heard a couple Braves announcers mentioning the top of lineup issues. I'd never really looked into it until the 3 HR inning Friday night when i saw Olson had only hit his 4th and notice the general OPS of much of the lineup is pretty bad

Ozuna and d'Arnaud are the only players with an OPS above 800 and Albies the only other even above 725

I remember posting Acuna's numbers several times last year being most amazed at his drastic improvement in career K rate (from 1:3 to 1:8). This year he's right back at the 1:3 ratio and over half his total 2023 K's already though his walk rate is almost identical - just his contact rate and hard hit contact rate esp. is pretty low
It’s early! Lots of the season left. 85 wins get you in the Playoffs now.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
It’s early! Lots of the season left. 85 wins get you in the Playoffs now.
True!

The Dodgers are in first place, 5½ games ahead of the San Diego Padres right now, but for the second time already this season, the Dodgers dropped a series to them, losing to the Padres on Sunday. It reminded me of two years ago when the 111 win Dodgers lost the NLDS series to the 89 win Padres.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
[...] All of the City Connects this year are looking like versions of the same thing. Dark with a side of some shade of blue.
[...] Well, we'll see what the Guardians come up with next week.

Well...less dark with the white pants, but...CLE? [About the white pants the Uni-Watch website said "a miracle." Heh!]

JDESYI3J2BEW3I6JLQLD5WG6T4.jpg

The socks are interesting, but they should've used that statue logo as an arm patch.

cleveland-guardians-city-connect-socks-uniform-sportslogosnet-175650.jpg

A writer states, and I agree: "It gets to a problem with a lot of these City Connect jerseys: The socks are pretty cool, but most players won't show them, so why are so many of the biggest risks - best flourishes - hidden?" Exactly.

Next up at the end of the month: St. Louis Cardinals

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well...less dark with the white pants, but...CLE? [About the white pants the Uni-Watch website said "a miracle." Heh!]

JDESYI3J2BEW3I6JLQLD5WG6T4.jpg

The socks are interesting, but they should've used that statue logo as an arm patch.

cleveland-guardians-city-connect-socks-uniform-sportslogosnet-175650.jpg

A writer states, and I agree: "It gets to a problem with a lot of these City Connect jerseys: The socks are pretty cool, but most players won't show them, so why are so many of the biggest risks - best flourishes - hidden?" Exactly.

Next up at the end of the month: St. Louis Cardinals
I like the uniforms!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I hate to jump the gun, but somehow the Dodgers second round of City Connect Uniforms, after round 1 and 1.1 (they changed the awful hat) and 1.2 (changed to white pants), have apparently leaked already, even though they're not set to come out at the end of June. The jersey was spotted hanging up in a Tokyo store and posted to twitter by someone who, in the past, had posted early (and accurate!) photos of the New York Mets and Detroit Tigers City Connect caps.

GNXZRx_bcAEZqcp-672x896.jpeg

GNXZRx7agAAGqb6-672x896.jpeg

Well, I don't dislike it, but have to wait to see the cap, socks and pants. Will the pants be blue? If they are white, they'd have to also incorporate the confetti or it'll look wrong. (And maybe worse!)

Don't know if the stripe separating the LOS ANGELES logo is just a design element or means anything yet. (Like an earthquake fault?) Or the red LA tag on the sleeve cuffs? (It looks awkward.)

Notice, in the first photo, above the tag at the bottom it says #ITFDB. I immediately knew what that meant, but I wonder if any of you do...without looking?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I hate to jump the gun, but somehow the Dodgers second round of City Connect Uniforms, after round 1 and 1.1 (they changed the awful hat) and 1.2 (changed to white pants), have apparently leaked already, even though they're not set to come out at the end of June. The jersey was spotted hanging up in a Tokyo store and posted to twitter by someone who, in the past, had posted early (and accurate!) photos of the New York Mets and Detroit Tigers City Connect caps.

Well, I don't dislike it, but have to wait to see the cap, socks and pants. Will the pants be blue? If they are white, they'd have to also incorporate the confetti or it'll look wrong. (And maybe worse!)

Don't know if the stripe separating the LOS ANGELES logo is just a design element or means anything yet. (Like an earthquake fault?) Or the red LA tag on the sleeve cuffs? (It looks awkward.)

Notice, in the first photo, above the tag at the bottom it says #ITFDB. I immediately knew what that meant, but I wonder if any of you do...without looking?
I like the new Dodgers uniform! No idea on the acronym. Something Dodgers baseball?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The dodger shirts look like someone was spray painting things while wearing them.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I like the new Dodgers uniform! No idea on the acronym. Something Dodgers baseball?
Yes... I T F Dodgers Baseball. "It's Time For Dodgers Baseball." Vin Scully's trademark opening of his TV broadcasts and is often played in the stadium before Dodgers games.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The dodger shirts look like someone was spray painting things while wearing them.
Someone posed the idea that the color of the confetti suggested the colors of the stadium seating.

Walter O’Malley, the former owner who brought the Dodgers to Los Angeles, had a meaning for each level of seats and the colors they consisted. Top Deck is a light blue color that reminded O’Malley of the ocean and the skies that surround all of Los Angeles and Southern California. Reserve level is a sea foam green color that represented the landscape all around Dodger Stadium. The Loge level seats are a light orange which was a representation of the sandy beaches. Lastly, are the Field level seats which are yellow because that reminded O’Malley of the sun which is always out in Los Angeles.

LAD_01_StadiumRendering.jpg

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't have picked up on it without being prompted, but when you asked the question Vin's voice popped into my head a minute or so later. Of course I had the Dodger pregame show on and the audio tape played so it also popped into my ears before I scrolled down.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
History made in yesterday’s A’s/Astros game, according to mlb.com- a female doing play by play for both teams.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't know, but that seems like MLB may be drawing/walking too fine a line on that rule. Rosin is sticky. It's supposed to be sticky (to some extent) -- it likely wouldn't be used at all otherwise. And seems like they're just opening that rule too much to interpretation if pitchers are actually allowed to use rosin on their hands (to combat slipperage from sweating or whatever), but somehow not allowed to use "sticky substance" for pitching per se, LOL.

Do they actually make very clear that rosin is not considered an (illegal) "sticky substance" for that rule? And if so, how do they expect umpires to be able to properly determine on the spot if it's not actually rosin (of whatever legal kind)?

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't about the second half, but pretty much rosin is absolutely and clearly labelled as OK on hands, wrists, or forearms. Hand can't be so coated that it's white, you not supposed to put it on the glove/uniform in part to prevent the puff balls that had become a thing for a while where you get the white cloud by 'tapping' the glove during delivery

MLB’s Rule 6.02(d) includes a comment that a pitcher is not permitted “to apply rosin from the bag to his glove or dust any part of his uniform with the rosin bag.”

The rosin bag MLB talks about is more a drying agent (resin powder and magnesium carbonate) and less a true sticky stuff even with a bit of water/sweat added like a pine tar rag. "Hey ump I threw an inside pitch and broke the guys bat. The Pine tar on my glove much have come from the hitter when I caught the ground ball or got the ball back from the infielders after the out." Baseline Chalk is mostly Calcium Carbonate, Mag Carb is the main compound in the resin that rock climbers and gymnasts use on their hands and also part of many antacids/antipersp/cosmetics

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dodgers-Reds game tonight certainly didn't play to expectation. Hot Dodgers vs struggling Reds, Glasnow vs Bullpen game. Dodgers with 20+ game streak giving up 4 runs or less.

Nick Martinez continues to baffle the Dodgers just like when he was in SD.

Going into B9 2 hitter and Reds up 7-0. Elly de la Cruz is just impressive player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks