What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Where is this news from that the original negative has been located and used for this release? It did not say in the Kino link. I’ll have to do some searching.

I’m in on this release. But I gotta say, I think I’ve purchased nearly every version that’s ever been released in laserdisc, DVD and blu ray, including the SE from Olive.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’m in on this release. But I gotta say, I think I’ve purchased nearly every version that’s ever been released in laserdisc, DVD and blu ray, including the SE from Olive.

Funny thing. About 20 years back, I was selling some of my LDs, and buying others, on eBay. One of my sales was the MGM/UA LD of The Year of Living Dangerously, which I'd sold to one Maurice Yakowar somewhere in Canada (if memory serves, he was in Guelph, Ontario at the time). While it was wending its way to him, one of my purchases arrived: the Criterion LD of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (I already had a later Digital Sound edition, but this was the original "Silver Jacket" release). As I was looking it over, I noticed that the audio commentary was by Maurice Yakowar!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Where is this news from that the original negative has been located and used for this release? It did not say in the Kino link. I’ll have to do some searching.

Doesn't mention the original negative but it *is* a new transfer.

If you read forward in the thread the implication is the OCN was found due to the new 1.85:1 transfer being included (the intended ratio - IIRC all prior are 2.00:1 Superscope).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool story Jerry. It looks like this is the same guy:

My Criterion copy is the black cover, I didn’t k ow about the silver one. I found some pics of it. Must be CAV.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Howie, thanks the link, I don’t regularly look at those threads. I should. :)

Interestingly is I see Kino is releasing a 4K of High Noon too. Another title I got from Olive!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Cool story Jerry. It looks like this is the same guy:

My Criterion copy is the black cover, I didn’t k ow about the silver one. I found some pics of it. Must be CAV.

It was CAV, but so was the later one. It's just that the first nine titles Criterion came out with were first released in the silver jackets with red lettering. I thought they looked kinda cool.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Over on another forum, it was stated that Frank Tarzi said (in an interview with "Cereal at Midnight") that the original negative still exists, but is in terrible shape and that the restoration would be expensive.

My understanding was that the Superscope 2:1 aspect ratio was baked into the dupe negative, which is the source for every home video release up until now. To change the aspect ratio either the original negative or the interpositive would have to have been found and scanned.

Edited to add---okay, here it is---jump ahead to about minute 5:25. He does say "camera negative." HOWEVER----I don't believe any Kino press material has said anything about using the original negative, so I honestly have no idea what they are scanning, apart from the fact that it must be something that hasn't been used before.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Fred for the video. It was interesting to watch. And it was interesting to hear the comments about Columbo and the other titles.

I guess we will see eventually what the new 4K is like.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

He was given incorrect information, there's no original camera negative for the film, it was lost ages ago.

The 1.85:1 elements we scanned is the same one Paramount had scanned in the past to create the 2.00:1 masters used in the Olive releases.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thanks Fred for the video. It was interesting to watch. And it was interesting to hear the comments about Columbo and the other titles.

I guess we will see eventually what the new 4K is like.
One of the most important and essential films of the 50's. Can't wait to see it again.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
"....The 1.85:1 elements we scanned is the same one Paramount had scanned in the past to create the 2.00:1 masters used in the Olive releases...." Heh, and now I'm even more confused. I was under the impression that an 1.85 version could not be created because no pre-cropped-for-superscope material existed. What exactly are they scanning, I wonder.... Well, I'm willing to buy the film again for the alternate aspect ratio, I suppose, though the Olive release is excellent in general. I'd love it if the Perspecta track was included in this new release also, but haven't heard anything about that...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve only known this film to be Superscope.

In looking at an older thread on the Olive release, there was a post that states the film was framed for 1.85:1. But was framed to 2.1 for theatrical release. And I recall there was a supplement in the Criterion laserdisc that discusses the 2.1 SuperScope framing was how the film should be seen. I imagine going 1.85 will either cut off the sides or restore the image above and below.

In looking at the copies I have easy access too, and then looking at the Kino site, I forgot they had released the 1978 version on 4K. Might have to get that one too. That is a good remake.
IMG_3193.jpeg

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I forgot they had released the 1978 version on 4K. Might have to get that one too. That is a good remake.
If you don't mind waiting for a standard edition (which will eventually come I'm sure) and importing, the Arrow UK release has much better compression/encoding.
Unless you aren't bothered by such things...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks