What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ On Dangerous Ground -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Nicholas Ray's 1951, On Dangerous Ground, with Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Ward Bond and Ed Begley, is one of the little black & white miracles from the RKO library, now at Warner Bros.

Somehow, it has survived from the nitrate era, with both the original picture and track negatives intact, and Warner Archive has jumped on them, to create a down-rezzed version for us on Blu-ray, of their restoration.

For those in the know, be aware that the film was produced by John Houseman, and with a score by Bernard Herrmann.

On original release in December of 1951, it was overshadowed by William Wyler's Detective Story, which beat it to release by two months, but had actually been shot later. We'll blame it on Howard Hugh's control of RKO.

Anyone not certain that black & white can look good, only need to pick up a copy, and be educated as well as entertained.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
So very happy to hear this is a quality release. The DVD was fairly crummy and I was worried the original elements were lost.

I agree with Mr. Crawford regarding Robert Ryan and his performance in this film: "You know you're gonna talk, I'm gonna make you talk. Why do you make me do it?!"

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Pre-ordered. It's a score I listen to often as well. Now bring on "The Set-Up"...

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I haven't yet seen this disc. I once saw a very good print and, for me, the real hero of this production is George E. Diskant. If this Blu-ray disc is as good as Mr. Harris says, a lot of people are going to agree with me.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I haven't yet seen this disc. I once saw a very good print and, for me, the real hero of this production is George E. Diskant. If this Blu-ray disc is as good as Mr. Harris says, a lot of people are going to agree with me.

Agreed. Mr. Diskant spent the majority of his time shooting TV series.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
pre-ordered this RAH & RC recomendation!

Last edited:

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
According to Wiki, he was very busy in 1952, with four films!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This film, and this Blu-ray disc, show what can be done with black and white by a master. A few weeks ago I watched the blu-ray disc of Day Of The Outlaw which also stars Robert Ryan and has outdoor scenes in snow. There is nothing wrong with either the photography or the disc of Day of the Outlaw, but visually On Dangerous Ground is in a diffferent class.

I hadn't seen the film for a long time and I had forgotten much of it. I was impressed by Ida Lupino whom normally I don't much like. (I know I'm in a small minority, but I think Road House would have been much better if someone like Linda Darnell had played the female lead) Nicholas Ray's films were always well acted and it was no surprise to find Ward Bond giving such a forceful performance, but I was surprised by Ida Lupino. She gave a quiet, sensitive performance that worked perfectly. I'll have to adjust my opinion of her.

In Women's Prison Ida Lupino worked with Cleo Moore who was also in On Dangerous Ground. I'm used to her in films like Over Exposed and One Girl's Confession. She looked better in On Dangerous Ground and acted better too.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight, and it looked mostly splendid.

Then I listened to Savant's superb commentary. He should be contracted to do commentaries for ALL classic films. He really does his homework and gives background on lots of the supporting players and doesn't merely muse about the movie a la Schickel and some others.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this tonight, and it looked mostly splendid.

Then I listened to Savant's superb commentary. He should be contracted to do commentaries for ALL classic films. He really does his homework and gives background on lots of the supporting players and doesn't merely muse about the movie a la Schickel and some others.

Yes, I agree. Most commentary tracks bore me to tears, the big exceptions being those done by Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo and those by the late John Frankenheimer. Glenn Erickson now joins the celebrated minority!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Yes, I agree. Most commentary tracks bore me to tears, the big exceptions being those done by Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo and those by the late John Frankenheimer. Glenn Erickson now joins the celebrated minority!

I think it was in Douglas Pratt's newsletter, that while reviewing Criterion's laserdisc release of John Sturges' "Bad Day at Black Rock", Pratt quoted Quentin Tarantino as having stated that listening to Sturges' commentary was better than (attending) film school.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I think it was in Douglas Pratt's newsletter, that while reviewing Criterion's laserdisc release of John Sturges' "Bad Day at Black Rock", Pratt quoted Quentin Tarantino as having stated that listening to Sturges' commentary was better than (attending) film school.

Yes, I remember someone else praised that commentary track a very long time ago. I'd love to listen to it. (I was never a laserdisc man) I hope when Bad Day At Black Rock makes its long overdue appearance on Blu-ray, Warners will have borrowed Criterion's track.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Hi Robert. I haven't watched my copy yet. Over on blu-ray.com one person complained about chroma noise in the transfer. Did you notice a problem?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hi Robert. I haven't watched my copy yet. Over on blu-ray.com one person complained about chroma noise in the transfer. Did you notice a problem?
No offense, but one person complaining about any transfer is what every release should strive for. It's only 82 minutes long, you should check out this beautiful disc for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks