What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not looking forward to tvOS 17.2... :huh:

Think I'm gonna disable auto-update at least for a while and see how things play out some before allowing my ATV4Ks to update beyond the current version...

Will probably also look out for similar for my iPhone and iPad (to put off losing or crippling the iTunes app there as long as possible)...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not looking forward to tvOS 17.2... :huh:

Think I'm gonna disable auto-update at least for a while and see how things play out some before allowing my ATV4Ks to update beyond the current version...

Will probably also look out for similar for my iPhone and iPad (to put off losing or crippling the iTunes app there as long as possible)...

_Man_
I've disabled my auto-updates on my AppleTV devices.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I’ve been going to the TV app for a while now to get to my library of purchases instead of the other iTunes apps. Curious what the worry is?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve been going to the TV app for a while now to get to my library of purchases instead of the other iTunes apps. Curious what the worry is?
Instead of me trying to explain it to you, it's simpler to read the comments towards that article and you will see why so many people aren't happy about this development.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Instead of me trying to explain it to you, it's simpler to read the comments towards that article and you will see why so many people aren't happy about this development.
Took a look. Seems like there are a few kinks to work out but mostly what I see is the typical backlash that arises whenever Apple changes anything that has been around for a long time.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've disabled my auto-updates on my AppleTV devices.
Same here.

Personally, I have no problem with Apple addressing the current schizophrenic situation with the Apple TV app and the old iTunes Movies/TV Shows apps, *IF* they take care of the annoyances with the former that so many people have been complaining about. Listen to your customers, Apple.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Too lazy to go through all the comments (in my case I'm blanking on when I last/ever used these apps so not likely to miss them) but, this is a valid complaint: "Is it just me or is it harder to find stuff in the TV app?"

My top complaint: the Paramount+ section of the Apple TV app, which includes Showtime: the Movies are just dumped in some completely random fashion, there is no way to look through them in alphabetical order, or to search within the Paramount+ confine or to see when the "last chance" period to see movies it, etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
On a different note...

Looking to buy someone an Apple TV 4k 64GB for Christmas. I am really surprised there are no discounts. Costco had them for $99 a few months ago. Now they, and everyone else are selling at the full $129 price.

Also want to get myself the 128GB Apple TV. I don't need the storage but it's the only model that has an ethernet connection. I would buy one today, but rumors are very strong that a refresh is due within 3 months and the new models will have more powerful chips that will handle gaming graphics better. I currently have APPLE ONE PREMIERE that includes ARCADE so I think I may just wait it out until the new model is introduced.

It's a shame that Apple is making these negative changes to its platform. I hope they listen to the negative feedback that I have been reading across the Internet. I still think their streaming device is the best out there.

Side Note: I dumped Peloton at $44 a month and now using Apple Fitness+ for cycling. Much cheaper considering I got the Apple One Premier plan for almost $10 less and I am sharing it with 5 other people.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, I have auto update disabled on everything. My Macs, Phone, iPads and ATVs. I let it notify me of updates, but I only allow them to run when I prompt it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I have auto update disabled on everything. My Macs, Phone, iPads and ATVs. I let it notify me of updates, but I only allow them to run when I prompt it.

Yes, that's long been my general MO as well, except for my ATV4Ks.

Truth is I actually had still been running iOS 15.1.2 (or was it 15.2.1, I forget now, LOL) on my iPhone 13 Pro until just the other day when I finally got around to updating to the latest 17.1.2 -- I had meant to update a few other times before at certain key points, but didn't get around to it before Apple rushed out another big new version (w/ high likelihood of significant bugs) that I didn't want. I strongly prefer not to fix what ain't broke, especially for my phone, so I usually wanna wait for what I feel is mature enough to bother... and I'm kinda annoyed w/ a couple changes/bugs I'm noticing w/ the latest update (though one of them may be Google's own fault w/ their Maps, grrrr)...

I usually just manually update all my mobile apps though... except the Weather (Channel) app, which I've tried to resist for last however many years, but usually lose that battle whenever I upgrade to new phone... And my DVD Profiler's barcode scanner still inexplicably doesn't work right, if at all, like before on my iPhone or iPad -- it only seems to work well on my nearly dead, old iPhone 7 that I've kept around only for that purpose...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Same here.

Personally, I have no problem with Apple addressing the current schizophrenic situation with the Apple TV app and the old iTunes Movies/TV Shows apps, *IF* they take care of the annoyances with the former that so many people have been complaining about. Listen to your customers, Apple.

Problem is they seem to be in denial or something about the various issues/flaws/bugs or something... or maybe those in charge simply don't know how to fix some of them (perhaps because of whatever deeply embedded design flaws in some cases) -- one would think Apple hires plenty good enough talent, but maybe, just maybe, they simply haven't thrown their better/good talent at the ATV (and the whole iTunes replacement project)... since that line of devices does seem like an afterthought for them...

Truth is their transition on the music side hasn't been w/out problems either... and I'm just largely forgiving them and moving on w/ that just because my family has largely preferred and adopted Apple Music (over my somewhat modestly ripped collection) -- I myself would prefer not to have to keep ripping and doing significant maintenance of such, if I don't have to...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Took a look. Seems like there are a few kinks to work out but mostly what I see is the typical backlash that arises whenever Apple changes anything that has been around for a long time.
The TV app HAS been around a long time and they still haven't "fixed" it.

For those who are concerned beware - tvOS 17.2 was released this morning.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disabled the firmware update to my AppleTV devices because I'm not giving up iTunes right now.
Crap, looks like they're trying to force this 17.2 firmware update:

1702366870346.jpeg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Today my iPad no longer has movies in the iTunes app (my iPhone still does, though). On the plus side, apparently complete series bundles now show up in the TV app.

IMG_0380.png

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Today my iPad no longer has movies in the iTunes app (my iPhone still does, though). On the plus side, apparently complete series bundles now show up in the TV app.

View attachment 206382

Yeah, but do those complete series bundles show up in easily manageable/navigable fashion though... not just in some sorta infinite scroll (and going back at any point just bounces you back to the beginning of that scroll)?

_Man_

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, but do those complete series bundles show up in easily manageable/navigable fashion though... not just in some sorta infinite scroll (and going back at any point just bounces you back to the beginning of that scroll)?

_Man_
No. They didn’t fix that. Just made it so complete series sets can now be purchased in the TV app, whereas they couldn’t before.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No. They didn’t fix that. Just made it so complete series sets can now be purchased in the TV app, whereas they couldn’t before.

When I checked a few days ago, thought I could already buy complete series bundle in the ATV app w/ tvOS 17.1 though... but it was under a different page or something IIRC. Do you just mean they're now offering the option on the same page?

Anyhoo, as long they don't fix/improve navigation for complete series bundle, it's still no good at all, especially if they get rid of the iTunes TV Shows app.

And at least for me, their "what's next" functionality is still basically broken to boot, which is a real pain for even shorter series/seasons NVM those big complete series bundles... *plus* my ATV4K seems to have developed some odd trouble w/ loading just the 2nd season of any ATV+ shows -- it'll take forever or whatever to load them, but not any other seasons, so weird...

_Man_

Kevin Clancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Clancy
I don't like that (as far as I can tell) they got rid of your iTunes Wish List.

I spent a lot of time loading that with titles I wanted to buy, putting ones I wanted the most towards to top, etc.

And am I nuts or can you not delete the now old iTunes app?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks