What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Challengers (2024) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think Amazon/MGM would have ponied up a $55 million budget for a small character drama like this without Zendaya attached to star.
Zendaya was attached as star and producer before Luca Guadagnino came on board to direct. The head of MGM bought this as part of a two-picture deal with Guadagnino (Bones and All was the other.) So yes, Zendaya was playing Tashi before any studio was involved. I'm honestly not sure if the movie would have been made anywhere without Zendaya's involvement. With respect to Mike Faist and Josh O'Connor, Zendaya is clearly the one who is selling tickets here.

The last couple months have been really dry for me at the movies. The only thing I went to in March was repeat viewings of Dune, and Challengers was my only movie for April. (Yes, both feature Zendaya.) In lack of any other interesting new releases, I've been waiting for this one to arrive for a while.

I saw it tonight and really dug it, with some qualifications. First of all, a lot of the big scenes are in the trailer. This isn't the movie's fault but did rob it of some surprises. If you've been able to completely avoid the marketing, this won't be a problem for you. But I saw the trailer several times as far back as last year, before the movie's delay, and on multiple movies this year. So that did impact my experience.

The second thing I will say is that even if you took the trailer out of it, the nonlinear narrative provides the audience with information about certain plot points before they happen. As a single example, the film opens in its present day with Tashi married to a different character than she initially dates in the flashback portions. So we know a breakup will happen within the flashbacks before the movie shows us the circumstances. This structural choice has the effect of putting the audience's understanding ahead of the characters in many cases throughout the course of the movie. I really liked the movie a lot and I don't necessarily mean this as a complaint. But I think a commentary with Kuritzkes and Guadagnino for the eventual disc would be interesting because I would like to hear them explain the reasons for their structural choices.

All that being said, I really liked this. I think it is handily Guadagnino's best film that I have seen. Granted, that only puts it above A Bigger Splash and Call Me By Your Name because I haven't seen his entire filmography. But still.

Tashi is older than many of Zendaya's other characters and she has much more control over the situations In her life than MJ, Rue or even Chani. Chani is an adult, but she isn't in control in the way that Tashi is. It was interesting to see Zendaya play a different kind of character. I love Spider-Man and Euphoria and don't mean this as a diss to them at all. But Challengers provided an opportunity for Zendaya to show off an expanded range of talents because she hits beats here that those roles did not require of her. She absolutely rose to the occasion.

Tashi never reminded me of Zendaya's previous roles, and that's a good thing. Zendaya became Tashi fully for the duration of this running time. I'm very excited to see what this portends for her continuing career and hope she gets to play lots more different types of parts. She was really wonderful in this role. Faist and O'Conner were also very strong opposite her and each other. There are other peripheral characters, but it's basically the three of them. If the three actors hadn't clicked, I don't think the movie would have worked half as well. But fortunately, they do click and have great chemistry.

I also want to mention that this is the first thing I've seen by Justin Kuritzkes. Coincidentally, he was recently hired to write the screenplay adaptation of City On Fire by Don Winslow, which is one of my favorite recent novels. I had already decided to see Challengers before his hiring for City On Fire was announced, so that is a complete coincidence. But because he is going to be working on something I already love, I was especially glad to see that Challengers is so well-written. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he does with City On Fire.

As I said before, I don't like tennis. I just don't get the appeal of watching somebody hit a ball with a racket. But I was able to invest in this movie because Tashi, Art and Patrick are well-drawn as characters. Also, holy moly, the final tennis scene was executed especially well and managed to be exciting despite my lack of interest in the sport. Even though it is a three-person. drama, the film felt very big to me. It was visually exciting and took advantage of the big screen in a way that it might not have in lesser hands. The movie will still be good at home if you want to wait. But if you are in a position to be able to go to a theater for it and are considering that, I do think the big screen would enhance your experience. It certainly did mine.

I think that's about as much as I can say right now without going into spoiler territory. But I would very highly recommend this. I came home and quickly pre-ordered the Blu-ray from Gruv.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Box office returns are crucial for staying power as a movie star, but not the only indicator. I don't think Amazon/MGM would have ponied up a $55 million budget for a small character drama like this without Zendaya attached to star.
I don't know what is wanted or considered good by the industry but $15 million for a tennis drama seems pretty good to me and no doubt a big chunk of that movie is coming from Zendaya. She needs some bigger non-franchise hits for me to call her a movie star but she's clearly getting people to come to a movie that they otherwise wouldn't have seen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't know what is wanted or considered good by the industry but $15 million for a tennis drama seems pretty good to me
That's where the tracking said it was going to be heading into the weekend, and indeed that's where it is based on the weekend estimates. I don't think Amazon is going to be disappointed.

Challengers had a $55 million budget before marketing, so I don't know if it will make a profit purely theatrically. It would have to hold really well to do that.

But it is clearly being seen by a broader audience than other movies of its type. Guadagnino's highest-grossing movie domestically is Call Me By Your Name with $18 million total, which this is clearly going to surpass. Of course, Challengers also had a wider release and more marketing. But I still think what it is doing is noteworthy.

Amazon will also factor in how it performs for them when it inevitably arrives on Prime Video, although of course that kind of data is far more obscure than box office reporting.

Deadline says 55% of the audience indicated they saw the movie for Zendaya. I don't know where they got that information from, but I would guess the percentage is actually higher.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this today and thought it was great. The Score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross was quite good but it was extremely loud. You would expect music that loud in a movie during a club or concert scene. Also sometimes you can't hear dialogue in scenes where there is score.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Also sometimes you can't hear dialogue in scenes where there is score.
I've heard that elsewhere regarding this movie as well. But I don't recall having that problem myself when I saw it on Friday. Do you remember any scenes in particular where that was a problem for you?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've heard that elsewhere regarding this movie as well. But I don't recall having that problem myself when I saw it on Friday. Do you remember any scenes in particular where that was a problem for you?
I remember thinking for most of the movie that the music didn't effect the movie for most of the running time, then I had trouble hearing dialogue in a couple scenes in the third act. In the first half plus of the movie the score usually just played during tennis scenes where there was little dialogue to begin with.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Easily the most invigorating film out there now in theatres, Challengers is a terrific combination of an exciting sports show-down and a really twisted love-triangle, which only could have been made by a European director. I haven't been such a fan of Luca Guadagnino - I didn't swoon over Call Me By Your Name with drippy Timothée Chalamet, the Suspiria remake was completely redundant and Bones and All was a very low-key cult cannibal gothic romance (again, with that Timothée person). Nothing Guadagnino has made before could have indicated what a high-octane, visceral thrill Challengers is.

This must be the first film not filmed in 3D, where I ducked to avoid flying tennis balls coming at 120 mph towards my face! The electronic, pulsating disco soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is also far and away their best, adding a further dimension to the action and goings-on on screen, which is already galloping along. Fantastic use of the various interweaving of time-lines. Out of all the movies I've seen theatrically this year, this was the first one I wanted to immediately see again. Outstanding. Can't wait to have this on home video.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is a Challengers discussion thread in Movies in which several people are discussing this film. I'm going to move your post there.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There is a Challengers discussion thread in Movies in which several people are discussing this film. I'm going to move your post there.
Thank you! (I searched for the thread using the site's "Search" function, but nothing turned up. In general, I find the HTF "Search" function to be very limited).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Saw this today with AMC A-list. It certainly had a lot of drama, and lots and lots of sweaty people playing tennis for long periods of time. The stars are all good, but wasn't really my cup of tea. The director did one of those let's jump back and forth in time for the whole movie structures, and although that more or less worked, it was also a bit annoying. My rating: B-

I tend to agree... even though I actually do like watching (as well as playing) tennis a little on occasion. I was actually very annoyed by the tennis ball(?) POV towards the end of the final match. Why the heck did they go there w/ that???

Also, how realistic is Zendaya's character's injury anyway? That seemed very over-the-top (for such a film) to me.

Maybe the RT rating also raised my expectation a little too high or something...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks