What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Farewell My Concubine (1993) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
39QIK2lnUNDARIhbxHclkjUnjRIc3R_large.jpg
A breathtakingly intimate romance unfolds against a sweeping backdrop of social upheaval in renowned director Chen Kaige’s sumptuous saga of passion, fate, and the transcendent possibilities of art. Spanning fifty years of twentieth-century Chinese history, Farewell My Concubine follows aspiring actors Dieyi (a heartbreaking Leslie Cheung) and Xiaolou (Zhang Fengyi) as they emerge from a childhood of brutal training to become Beijing-opera stars, with life mirroring art as Dieyi’s unrequited love for Xiaolou and the country’s changing political tides engulf them in their own personal tragedies of jealousy and betrayal. The first Chinese film to win the Palme d’Or is epic filmmaking of the highest order—visually and emotionally ravishing from frame to exquisite frame.

FILM INFO​

• China
  • 171 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • Mandarin
  • Spine #1228

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration of the original director’s cut, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • New conversation between Chinese-cultural-studies scholar Michael Berry and producer Janet Yang
    • Documentary from 2003 on the making of the film
    • Interview from 1993 with director Chen Kaige conducted by journalist Charlie Rose
    • Trailer
    • New English subtitle translation
    • PLUS: An essay by author and scholar Pauline Chen

New cover by Eric Skillman

July 23, 2024

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've had this on LD and DVD from Miramax, and with both, I always thought the colors were off. The reds, especially, were way too intense. The BFI Blu-ray was better, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks in 4K.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The BFI Blu-ray was better, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks in 4K.
Well, the screenshots in Criterion's site look good. Not the piss-yellow tint I was afraid of from the new 4k restoration:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Great film. I have the Region B release, simply because it was the only way to watch it uncut. Will get this in 4K.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I had first seen it at the Boston Film Festival in September 1993. I've no idea if that showing was the uncut version. The only specific thing I can remember was that the title on screen was the slightly different "Farewell to My Concubine".

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well i can't seem to find that information now, but for a time it was rumored that this was going to be getting a releases from Film Movement, who by the way does great work, wonder what changed?
Criterion making this announcement, will definitely make this a bigger release numbers wise.
May have to upgrade my HK release blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks