What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Le samouraï (1967) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
xRRm1FOwmmIoNSX6GJDzQrOZV9rp9g_original.jpg
In a career-defining performance, Alain Delon plays Jef Costello, a contract killer with samurai instincts. After carrying out a flawlessly planned hit, Jef finds himself caught between a persistent police investigator and a ruthless employer, and not even his armor of fedora and trench coat can protect him. An elegantly stylized masterpiece of cool by maverick director Jean‑Pierre Melville, Le samouraï is a razor-sharp cocktail of 1940s American gangster cinema and 1960s French pop culture—with a liberal dose of Japanese lone-warrior mythology.

FILM INFO​

• France
  • 105 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • French
  • Spine #306

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Interviews with Rui Nogueira, editor of Melville on Melville, and Ginette Vincendeau, author of Jean-Pierre Melville: An American in Paris
    • Interviews with Melville and actors Alain Delon, François Périer, Nathalie Delon, and Cathy Rosier
    • Melville-Delon: D’honneur et de nuit (2011), a short documentary exploring the friendship between the director and the actor and their iconic collaboration on Le samouraï
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: An essay by film scholar David Thomson, an appreciation by filmmaker John Woo, and excerpts from Melville on Melville

New cover by Polly Dedman

July 9, 2024

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Yes - Criterion have really improved their cover designs. Wasn't too long ago there was much pearl-clutching at some of their releases. And yet they've even gone and bested the French Pathé 4K UHD cover! (In my opinion, of course).

71iU2D5DHiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I hope this new 4K disc is a major upgrade from Criterion's mediocre Blu-ray disc.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I always think of Red Sun, and Alain Delons Bad Guy persona. Still one of my favorite films.
1713284587804.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Looks promising:

Thank you for that. Yes, it's encouraging that they admit the master for Criterion's Blu-ray disc was poor and that this new master is vastly better. Nevertheless, I'll wait for an informed opinion from someone I trust, before getting my credit card out. I don't have the blind faith in Criterion some people have.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Thank you for that. Yes, it's encouraging that they admit the master for Criterion's Blu-ray disc was poor and that this new master is vastly better. Nevertheless, I'll wait for an informed opinion from someone I trust, before getting my credit card out. I don't have the blind faith in Criterion some people have.
I spent up big and bought the Pathe boxset last year. The Pathe release is flawless. The restoration is a stunner, and Pathe’s encode is without blemish. It’s that encode I hope Criterion will use, without recourse to their now commonplace low pass filtering, DNR and other shockers.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I spent up big and bought the Pathe boxset last year. The Pathe release is flawless. The restoration is a stunner, and Pathe’s encode is without blemish. It’s that encode I hope Criterion will use, without recourse to their now commonplace low pass filtering, DNR and other shockers.
Thank you for that. I'll search for that Pathe box-set later today to see if that will "do me nicely". I note your warning about spending big!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks