What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dune: Part Two (2024) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

*Exclusive to IMAX, the entire film will be presented in an expanded aspect ratio, with over 40 minutes of sequences filling the entire screen at 1.43 and the remainder shown at 1.9.

Viewers on Reddit have confirmed it’s around 40 min, which is about 25% of its runtime.
Super late to the game but searched this thread specifically for this information, so thank you!

I had held off on seeing Dune 2 in IMAX (TCL Chinese Theater) because I was trying to avoid the human crush of the first few weeks of release, and then work got busy. Finally was able to see it last Sunday.

In between I did my best to stay spoiler free. But I did see one interview with Denis who spoke about how he chose to film the second one entirely in IMAX and to keep "one aspect ratio" (I can't find the link to the interview but that comment stuck out in my mind).

So I was prepared to see no shifting aspect ratios and was surprised when the picture kept shifting between 1.9:1 and 1.43:1. I thought the shifting ratio was well employed, not jarring, and I felt added appropriately to the visual look and feel of the movies and scenes. I was just (pleasantly) surprised given how I had just seen that interview.

Also, while the TCL Chinese Theater is one of the flagship IMAX theaters, even given all that I felt like they dialed up the soundtrack to 11 for this one. I wouldn't be surprised if each showing of Dune Part II set of the seismographs a few miles away at Cal Tech.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Super late to the game but searched this thread specifically for this information, so thank you!

I had held off on seeing Dune 2 in IMAX (TCL Chinese Theater) because I was trying to avoid the human crush of the first few weeks of release, and then work got busy. Finally was able to see it last Sunday.

In between I did my best to stay spoiler free. But I did see one interview with Denis who spoke about how he chose to film the second one entirely in IMAX and to keep "one aspect ratio" (I can't find the link to the interview but that comment stuck out in my mind).

So I was prepared to see no shifting aspect ratios and was surprised when the picture kept shifting between 1.9:1 and 1.43:1. I thought the shifting ratio was well employed, not jarring, and I felt added appropriately to the visual look and feel of the movies and scenes. I was just (pleasantly) surprised given how I had just seen that interview.

Also, while the TCL Chinese Theater is one of the flagship IMAX theaters, even given all that I felt like they dialed up the soundtrack to 11 for this one. I wouldn't be surprised if each showing of Dune Part II set of the seismographs a few miles away at Cal Tech.
I didn't know what the creators choice was in reference to selecting aspect ratios for shooting the movie but noticed when I watched it at an IMAX in London that the ratio changed quite a few times during the duration.

Found it extremely annoying and could not determine any artistic merits for doing utilizing it.

Throughout the picture I kept saying to myself "why the hell does the ratio keep changing this is stupid" and the more it changed the more baffling I found it.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know what the creators choice was in reference to selecting aspect ratios for shooting the movie but noticed when I watched it at an IMAX in London that the ratio changed quite a few times during the duration.

Found it extremely annoying and could not determine any artistic merits for doing utilizing it.

Throughout the picture I kept saying to myself "why the hell does the ratio keep changing this is stupid" and the more it changed the more baffling I found it.

Art is subjective, as we all know. I'm sure Denis Villeneuve had his (creative) reasons.

But to use an example from another director, I recall reading that Steven Spielberg used 1.85:1 framing when filming Jurassic Park, to emphasize the size or height of the dinosaurs. Particularly for the scene when the brachiosaurus stands on its hind legs to reach the top of a tree.

Now, if IMAX 15/70mm was an option for Jurassic Park, that could have been a spectacular moment if that same scene opened up to 1.43:1!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm tempted, but I'll wait another month for the disc. It's a shame we can't redeem digital copies early with the Blu-ray preorder. My copy is already locked in and we know it will have a digital copy included. But the number of people who would care to use such a thing early are probably insignificant as far as the studios are concerned.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But the number of people who would care to use such a thing early are probably insignificant as far as the studios are concerned.

Yup. They’ve tried different pilot programs over the years including purchasing your home media version with your movie ticket, and when Vudu was owned by Walmart, they did a program with the option to buy the digital immediately and get the disc in the mail later, but there was not demand for any of those ideas.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw this and now after many years and many movies I can safely say that Denis Villeneuve is the most overrated and talentless director I have seen in recent years.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
One of my local theatres is doing Dune marathons this weekend (Friday through tomorrow) on their IMAX screen.

The timing of stuff is a bit weird though, but whichever.

I went to see them last night. Was fun seeing them straight through for about 6h (including the break between films).

It was the version of Dune that had the brief introduction by Chalamet and Zendaya, plus the worm riding scene tagged onto the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks