What's new

Finding Dory - June 17, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Here's the first trailer.

Loved Nemo, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
guess I am cynical but couldn't they be a little more original? SO tired of all these sequels. Inside Out was such a welcome refreshening experience.

And I LOVED Finding Nemo.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's been out over a week and no comments about the movie? We saw it yesterday in 3D. Perhaps it was our theater's presentation, but I thought the 3D made it too dark and there wasn't enough depth and virtually no pop-out.

However, my group all loved the movie. Finding Dory goes for more humor than Finding Nemo. Hank the octopus is a real blast but there are many other moments of humor in the movie. We see more of Dory's vulnerabilities in this movie since she's center stage. DeGeneres is once again excellent with her voice acting. I hope I'm not forgetting but besides Dory, Marlin, Nemo, Mr. Ray, no other characters from the first movie receive any significant screen time. I kinda missed the sharks. Oh, the groovy turtle is back briefly. Righteous!

The voice of Sigourney Weaver receives quite a bit of time and I noticed what I believe is a reference to a movie she starred in. Did anyone else notice that?

Stacy through all the credits because there is a very funny bit at the end.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The voice of Sigourney Weaver receives quite a bit of time and I noticed what I believe is a reference to a movie she starred in. Did anyone else notice that?

You're gonna have to remind us what that potential allusion is. I'm old and addle-pated so I don't recall! :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're gonna have to remind us what that potential allusion is. I'm old and addle-pated so I don't recall! :D
Remember when the Beluga whale is guiding Dory thru the maze of pipes with his sonar and he detects something else in the pipes. He tells Dory to run one way and she goes towards the creature. The whale cries out something like "not the way, that's right towards it." Of course it's Marlin and Nemo in the pipes so alls ends well. Not so for Dallas in the air vents of the Nostromo.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Saw it last weekend. I liked Ed O'Neil's Hank the "septapus", and it was cute overall, but it was no Finding Nemo. When a fish and an octopus start
driving a truck,
I think it's all just gotten a little too silly.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Saw it last weekend. I liked Ed O'Neil's Hank the "septapus", and it was cute overall, but it was no Finding Nemo. When a fish and an octopus start
driving a truck,
I think it's all just gotten a little too silly.
I loved that part. A perfect example of teamwork. I think Finding Nemo is better, but Finding Dory is close, IMHO.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think this was a movie that took on a fairly difficult subject matter, following up from it's original, about persons with mental disabilities, and the allusions to those issues was I thought really well realized.

I don't think this was Pixar at their best; to me, there are several films in their library that just exceed that; I'm still floored by Inside Out; but this was a good outing that I thought was enjoyable.

I enjoyed the short immensely, which I thought was really fun.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
"Holy carp, there IS another way!"

My favorite line in the movie. Overall, not as good as Finding Nemo, IMO, but a fun movie nonetheless.

As with almost all Pixar movies, there is definitely an emotional climax, but I was grateful that the filmmakers followed that with the final action setpiece to give me time to man up before the lights came back on in the theater.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I liked it as well. I've not been wild about a lot of these Pixar shorts - I frickin' HATED "Lava" - but "Piper" was charming and endearing. It managed to be cute without being cloying...
In reference to Piper, you took the words right out of my keyboard. I'm glad it was finally mentioned in this thread.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was okay, not Pixar-special, but okay for a matinee showing.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We finally streamed it this weekend (thanks Google play for 75% off deal :))

My 8 year old liked it a lot. I found myself drifting off a lot and not really caring much about what was going on, I just didn't feel that "magic" I normally do with this Pixar release. Kind of how I felt with TS3 and Monsters University...but nothing compares to the stench of Cars 2. :)

I'd rate this outing a C.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We finally streamed it this weekend (thanks Google play for 75% off deal :))

My 8 year old liked it a lot. I found myself drifting off a lot and not really caring much about what was going on, I just didn't feel that "magic" I normally do with this Pixar release. Kind of how I felt with TS3 and Monsters University...but nothing compares to the stench of Cars 2. :)

I'd rate this outing a C.
Oh, my goodness. You found TS3 to be not very good. I thought 2 was better than 1 and 3 better than 2, and they were all terrific. Toy Story is one of the great trilogies. IMHO. Too each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks