What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Got questions for Mr George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive Collection? Ask em here! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe make it a related (essentially) 2-parter then.

What are Warner's plans re: the possible revival of the DVD MOD program?

What possibility is there for Warner to extend BD releases to catalog titles that don't meet the typical WAC standard, perhaps in some newly branded alternate (MOD?) product line? IF Warner isn't likely to revive the DVD MOD program, perhaps, this (MOD?) BD line could replace it?

_Man_

Rialto

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
1. Seems like WA releases just show up on Amazon and are spotted and posted by forum members; any chance that there will be a resumption of official press announcements with specs in advance?

2. Any chance that the WA podcast might resume?

3. In an interview earlier this year George implied that would be delays in releases due to a number of factors; has WA worked through these issues, and can he give fans some idea of how many projects are in the pipeline and how many monthly releases we may expect in the coming months?

4. Can George give us any hints on upcoming Technicolor restorations?

5. Ditto the questions re: 3D releases and whether WA will consider partnering with reputable 3rd parties (e.g., 3D Archive) to release more.

6. Ditto the questions re: new ownership: is Discovery supportive of restoring and releasing catalog films on physical media.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

What possibility is there for Warner to extend BD releases to catalog titles that don't meet the typical WAC standard, perhaps in some newly branded alternate (MOD?) product line? IF Warner isn't likely to revive the DVD MOD program, perhaps, this (MOD?) BD line could replace it?

_Man_
How Sam wants to frame the questions is up to him.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Would classic cartoons be a possibility for 4K UHD?

It seems like Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry and Fleischer Popeye and Superman would be perfect for that format and be decent sellers. If WB thinks those won't sell on UHD, that raises serious questions of what they think would sell.

In more general terms, has the popularity of Toon In With Me on MeTV been any help in getting classic cartoons out on disc?
I think I've read that a lot of the Looney Tunes and other classic cartoons have already been scanned in 4K.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

_Man_

And especially if not doing any of that themselves (anymore in case of MOD DVD), how likely would Warner license out (more of) such catalog titles to capable 3rd parties for BD releases like Criterion, Kino, et al going forward? IF not at all, why not? If probable, is any of that already in the works (w/out going into specifics) perhaps?

_Man_

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
I have to ask why? 17 years into the blu ray format and suddenly switch packaging? :huh:
Because they look much better.

Here in Britain, all the boutique labels have switched to them. No silly blue voids at the top of the box and more room for the artwork to breathe.

I’ve always thought the packaging was the weakest link on the WAC line. The sleeve art is fine, but never seem to fit well in the cases.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
There is nothing wrong with asking Mr. Feltenstein, the question about the DVD MOD program? Arguing about the viability of a such program isn't up for debate in this particular thread.
Agreed about the question regarding the DVD MOD program. I think it's valid.

Years ago it had been announced that the 2 color Technicolor elements had been located for MGM's Broadway to Hollywood (1933) and that it was going to be released on DVD yet it never happened. I wasn't going to ask about specific titles, but have always been curious about this one.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
How long do we wait for a Blu-Ray of "A Summer Place"?
Alfred Hitchcock Skull GIF

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
My questions would be:

1. Joining the growing chorus, any chance of more classic-era 3D films, perhaps in a more cost-effective partnership with 3D Film Archive? And if the answer to that is an absolute "no", any chance, instead, that 3D versions of the two WB-controlled classic cartoon shorts that were filmed in the 3D process, Lumber Jack Rabbit and Popeye the Ace of Space, could be included in 3D form as bonus material in future Looney Tunes and Popeye Blu-ray collections?

2. Are further classic cartoon Blu-ray collections of unedited shorts from the 1930s-50s (Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, Fleischer/Famous Studios' Popeye & Superman, Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, Captain & The Kids/Count Screwloose, Barney Bear, Harmon/Ising), hopefully to completion still viable?

3. Still any reasonable hope for WB-controlled classic TV on disc, notably the second season of Mr. Novak and music-rights-laden detective series like 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, etc?

4. Any restoration progress on Howard Hawks' The Big Sky, the one remaining RKO classic I know of that has been in disc limbo due to formerly-missing footage heretofore only available in less-than-satisfactory form (as was previously the case with King Kong and The Thing from Another World)? Does it look like this will eventually happen, given the success with other restored WB holdings, or is an un-cut version of The Big Sky now starting to look like a very tall order or lost cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks