What's new

Movies You’ve Watched More Than 10 Times (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Since 1978 I've had a simple system of recording on a Post-it note the date I watch each of my movies, so I can give you an exact list.

Most Watched Movies Since 1978

1. The Best Years of Our Lives (91 viewings)
2. Star Wars (84)
3. E.T. (47)
4. The Empire Strikes Back (45)
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark (36)
6. The Wrath of Khan (34)
7. Jaws (28)
8. Planet of the Apes (26)
9. It’s A Wonderful Life (24)
10. Lawrence of Arabia (22)
11. Gettysburg (21)
12. Back to the Future (20)
13. The Godfather (19)
14. Capricorn One (18)
15. Superman (1978) (16)
16. Seven Days In May (15)
17. The Fellowship of the Ring (14)
18. Dances with Wolves (13)
19. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (12)
20. Silent Running (11)
21. The Terminator (10)

The rest have been 9 viewings or less.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The Wizard of Oz, because they used to show it on TV once a year when I was a kid
Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland
Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho
The Legend of Lizzie Borden (Actually, any Elizabeth Montgomery made-for-TV movie. I was obsessed with her when I was a teen, and I recorded most of her TV movies which I've probably watched at least 10 times over the past 30 years)
New favorites I discovered late in life approaching the tenth mark: Dario Argento's: Suspiria, Tenebrae, Deep Red

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Without getting into cartoons, Laurel and Hardy & 3 Stooges, my favorite films I've watched more than 10 times...

IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, WORLD
EL DORADO
THE BLUES BROTHERS
BLAZING SADDLES
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
AIRPLANE
TOP SECRET
THE GENERAL
DIRTY HARRY
ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE GOOD HUMOR MAN (1950, Columbia) with Jack Carson. Screenplay by Frank Tashlin. Lots of great cartoon-like gags.
SON OF PALEFACE with Bob Hope. Co-written and directed by Tashlin.
TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD with Roy Rogers. Big fan of B-westerns and director William Witney.
SPY SMASHER (Republic serial directed by Witney.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Certainly these 20, the most watched first:

Ben-Hur, The Uninvited, How The West Was Won, Seventh Heaven, Loves of Pharaoh, With Fire and Sword, The Ten Commandments, Remember the Night, Metropolis, Quo Vadis, The Egyptian, Exodus, Spartacus, I Know Where I'm Going, King of Kings (1927), The Sign of the Cross, The Young Girls of Rochefort, Boy on a Dolphin, Johnny Guitar, The Big Trail

Comfort food all.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Good grief! Where do I start? The advantage of having a massive film library is revisiting an old favorite at a moment's notice and there are so many films that give me pleasure that are frequently played every couple of years or so. Way too many to list but among the most viewed:

White Christmas (the only Xmas movie I watch religiously each Xmas)
Wait Until Dark (I saw it 8 times in a theater when it was first released and many times on laser, DVD and now blu)
Pillow Talk (my go to comfort food movie)
All About Eve
Singin' In The Rain
Samson And Delilah
Pink Panther
The Birds
North By Northwest
Where The Boys Are
(Connie Francis was my first "crush")
Written On The Wind (Sirk's films are high on my rewatch list)
Johnny Guitar
High Noon
The High And The Mighty
Clue
Poseidon Adventure

I'll stop there but I could go on :)

Last edited:

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
The Great Escape, Casablanca... maybe The Wizard of Oz when I was a kid (and I've never seen it in colour).

I need to wait a few years between viewings for most films that I own.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
My record is Dr. Zhivago at 175 times but this may cheating since I was a union projectionist in college. I tend to only count theatrical showings but dozens of films more than 10 times. Probably 50 for Vertigo, 4 on the first day when I was 13 and my parents dragged me out of the theatre. If I like a film I take friends and family making for multiple viewings. Many of the films mentioned here are also on my multiple viewings list.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Carabimero,

Nice to see The Best Years of Our Lives on your list. I was startled the first time I saw it on LD and have sought it out ever since.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Great topic!
In no particular order...
  1. Arthur (Dudley Moore and John Gielgud - Perfect chemistry) RIP to both.
  2. Groundhog Day (RIP Harold Ramis)
  3. The Sound of Music (Yes. I confess, I love a good musical)
  4. Scarface (No explanation needed)
  5. Wall Street (The first one - There should never have been a second one)
  6. Superman 1 - 3 ( Gene Hackman is THE man, and so was Christopher Reeve - RIP to him and Dana)
  7. Stripes ( See my signature)
  8. The "Man with no name" trilogy (Clint Eastwood at his absolute best as an actor anyway.)
  9. Heartbreak Ridge (See above)
  10. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Sean Penn when he wasn't so serious)
  11. Clueless (What can I say? I love this film.)
  12. Johnny Dangerously (This and the two above it are [IMO] Amy Heckerlings crowning achievements)
  13. The first two Bourne films (Chris Cooper is simply amazing in these and steals the show.)
  14. Oblivion (Great Blu Ray with excellent video and sound quality. Story is pretty good too)
  15. Place Holder for Black Panther ( I wasn't impressed with the Real3D version I saw in the commercial theater. Can't wait to get this one in the Home Theater)

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Far too many to list. My list includes (seen in cinemas only): SEVENTH SEAL; BURMESE HARP;LAWRENCE OF ARABIA;WEST SIDE STORY ;1900;MURDER MOST FOUL;MURDER SHE SAID;LADY WITH THE LITTLE DOG;;HOW THE WEST WAS WON;WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM;MARY POPPINS;LES DIABOLIQUES;LAST PICTURE SHOW;THE SUBJECT WAS ROSES;GONE WITH THE WIND;SWEET CHARITY;LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS;SPARTACUS;2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY;SAND PEBBLES;CAN-CAN;CLEOPATRA;SEVEN BRIDES FOR EVEN BROTHERS;PSYCHO;A SUMMER PLACE;PEYTON PLACE;LA STRADA .COME AND SEE;THE ROBE;WIZARD OF OZ;FORBIDDEN PLANET; Also working in a TODD-AO cinema I managed to see SOUND OF MUSIC at least a hundred tImes.Same for SOUTH PACIFIC.(100 times at least) OKLAHOMA;KING AND I;CAROUSEL and possibly 100's of other films more than ten times.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
My Fair Lady
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Gone With the Wind
Oklahoma!
South Pacific (1958)
The King and I (1956)
Grease (1978)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Pete's Dragon (1977)
Annie (1982)
The Muppet Movie
Forrest Gump
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Cinderella
The Great Muppet Caper
Return To Oz
Oliver!
Bye Bye Birdie (1963)
Auntie Mame
The Music Man
Gypsy (1962 and 1993)
Alice In Wonderland (1951)
West Side Story
Fiddler on the Roof
Network
Blazing Saddles
Pink Flamingos
Hairspray (1988)
Airplane!
Serial Mom
Female Trouble
All That Jazz
The Producers (1968)
Smile
Robin Hood (1973)
What's Up, Doc?
The Naked Gun
Honey I Shrunk The Kids
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Ed Wood
Soapdish
Desperate Living
Young Frankenstein
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The Jungle Book (1967)
Pollyanna (1960)
The Sword in the Stone (1963)
The Brave Little Toaster
Silent Movie
High Anxiety
Spaceballs

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I keep a word file called "Films Seen Multiple Times" and the first list in it is this one. Some of these films I've actually seen over 20 times.

Films I’ve seen ten or more times:

KING KONG (1933)

THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

CITIZEN KANE (1941)

CASABLANCA (1943)

IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)

WHITE HEAT (1949)

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949)

THEM! (1954)

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

THE SEARCHERS (1956)

GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS (1956)

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961)

WEST SIDE STORY (1961)

THE LONGEST DAY (1962)

BEACH PARTY (1963)

DR. NO (1963)

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (1963)

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963)

IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963)

GOLDFINGER (1964)

THUNDERBALL (1965)

FAHRENHEIT 451 (1966)

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1967)

THE DIRTY DOZEN (1967)

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1967)

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1967)

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY (1967)

PLANET OF THE APES (1968)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969)

THE WILD BUNCH (1969)

M*A*S*H (1970)

DIRTY HARRY (1971)

TAXI DRIVER (1976)

LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY (1986)

MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (1988)

KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE (1989)

KILL BILL, VOL. 1 (2003)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
There are so many movies I have watched at least 10 times I decided to focus the hard list on just the movies I actually BOUGHT TICKETS FOR and saw in a commercial theater at least 10 times. I would have seen the ones initially released before the late 1950s or so in revival theaters or on the occasion of a rare major theatrical re-release, something not done much anymore:

City Lights
Gone With The Wind
The Wizard of Oz
It's a Wonderful Life
Singin' in the Rain
7 Brides for 7 Brothers
On The Waterfront
Rear Window
Vertigo
Psycho
North By Northwest
The Birds
Bridge on the River Kwai
Gigi
Geisha Boy
Rock-a-bye Baby
The Bellboy
Don't Give Up the Ship
House on Haunted Hill
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Ben-Hur
Spartacus
Lawrence of Arabia
West Side Story
The Music Man
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Goldfinger
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
Bonnie and Clyde
The Graduate
Funny Girl
The Lion in Winter
Midnight Cowboy
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Exorcist
The Godfather
Jaws
Forrest Gump
Pinocchio
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella
Dumbo
Bambi
Peter Pan

On television and post home video access, I would add almost any Abbott & Costello movie, Martin and Lewis/Jerry Lewis movie, Hitchcock movie, Universal monster movies, Hammer Films horror movies. Off the top of my head, there would also be Citizen Kane, Some Came Running, It Happened One Night, All About Eve, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, The Apartment, Casablanca, Two For The Road, Lolita, Paths of Glory, How the West Was Won. No way to accurately count, but I would have re-watched those the most, therefore at least 10 times each.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
My odd mix, in the order they’ve popped into my head (estimate over ten viewing each, as I’ve kept no logs):

A Man for All Seasons

It’s a Wonderful Life

The Maltese Falcon

The Big Country

Rear Window

The Thirty Nine Steps

North by Northwest

Rebecca

Contact

White Christmas

My Cousin Vinny

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The Third Man

The Untouchables

Pollyanna

The Wrath of Khan

First Contact

The Castle

The Dish

Gandhi

Arthur

Life of Brian

Goldfinger

The Sound of Music

Singing in the Rain

High Noon

The Quiet Man

The Verdict

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Genevieve

Father Goose

Charade

To Kill a Mockingbird

Back to the Future

Back to the Future III

The Ladykillers

Terminator

The Thief of Bagdad

A Hard Day’s Night

Most Disneys

Great to see The Maltese Falcon showing up on so many people’s lists.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Too many to list, but I guess that isn't going to stop me. Ones that come to mind, and from culling other's lists... (in roughly chronological order)

King Kong
The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
Its a Wonderful Life
Harvey
An American In Paris
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Searchers
Mister Roberts
The Ten Commandments
The Big Country
Ben-Hur
Some Like It Hot
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Strangelove
Patton
Planet of the Apes
Bullitt
Once Upon A Time In The West
Jeremiah Johnson
Cool Hand Luke
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dirty Harry
The Seven-Ups
The Godfather
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather Part II
Taxi Driver
Jaws
Rocky
Superman
Animal House
Apocalypse Now
Blood Simple
Caddyshack
Blade Runner
Stripes
Raging Bull
Chariots of Fire
Raiders of the Lost Ark
An Officer and a Gentleman
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
War Games
Tender Mercies
The Natural
Raising Arizona
The Pope of Greenwich Village
Dune
Terminator
Top Gun
Blue Velvet
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Shining
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Robocop
Angel Heart
Predator
Die Hard
Total Recall
The Hunt for Red October
Goodfellas
Field of Dreams
The Silence of the Lambs
Last of the Mohicans
A River Runs Through It
Unforgiven
Terminator II
The Fugitive
Pulp Fiction
The Shawshank Redemption
Seven
Heat
The English Patient
Saving Private Ryan
The Big Lebowski
The Matrix Trilogy
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Kill Bill Vol 1 & Vol 2

Just about all of the Bond films (well at least 90% of them)
Just about all of the Clint Eastwood westerns.
The original Star Wars Trilogy (well over ten times theatrically, not taking into account even more home viewings)
The first three films in the Alien series.
The first three films in the Lethal Weapon series.

(There were a lot of years where I didn't have cable, so many of my VHS and Laserdisc titles went into heavy rotation to fill the time when nothing on broadcast television held my interest.)

I'm sure there is more, but that'll do.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
<SNIP>
Silent Movie
High Anxiety
Spaceballs

We may be the only two with High Anxiety on our lists. That Mel Brooks movie doesn't get a lot of love. I will admit that my top two MB movies are Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein (both are well over ten times)

As expected - a lot of classics - epics - musicals - action - but a lot of surprises as well. I think we're also a lot of softees here - a lot of warm fuzzy movies made the list.:D Mine too. My two guilty pleasures that don't show on any other list are Silver Streak and 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Warm and fuzzy eh? The film I've seen most times in my life is Robocop. At least once a year since I caught it at the movie theatre 30 years ago. When the time comes, I've requested that my remaining friends hold a screening of Robocop at my wake. Hopefully, that won't be soon.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have too many too. But first are the WAY more than 25 group that I probably know all dialogue and have at least 1 blu of most:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972)
-2 or more times a year, period. And I buy every release that looks like an upgrade. Moving Picture Archive available on amazon has the best one I think. Widescreen, good color, better detail than all the others I have, steady image with lower unnatural lines, okay sound, not a lot of print damage. This film won BAFTA awards and should have a Criterion bluray. I wish they could work that out.

Wiz of Oz
-saw for first time in 3D a few weeks ago. WOW! One time out, the poppy field scene might be my favorite 3D. That and the apple trees. Not sure I'll be able to watch flat anymore. I had a thought that they could have left the b&w beginning and end in 2D for effect. But I loved it fine as is.

Willy Wonka
Yellowbeard
The Pirate Movie 1982
- blu ray please! I own 2 copies of the DVD.
Ice Pirates
- nice bluray! I have it and 2 DVDs
Time Bandits
-bought everything but the British blu ray. The VHS along with The Shining were my first movie purchases back in the 80s. The recent Criterion is very nice. I plan to pick up Jabberwocky blu ray as well, I have 2 dvds of it. LOVE that film as much as TB.

Brazil
The Shining
The Good the Bad & the Ugly
-I have like 4 copies of this on blu ray somehow... several different collections. Used to watch this rented vhs, then recorded off cable vhs, then DVD, and now blu. I need to theatrical on blu too. The extra scenes are fine but I like it without best.
Once Upon a Time in the West
Creepshow
-the US bluray is good. No extras, but great print of the film.
Inspector General

Not totally sure on these but they are probably nearly 25:

My Bodyguard (1980). I stayed with my cousins one summer early 80s. We watched this 9 times in one week. Every time it played on a pay channel even in the middle of the night we were there. One of my favorite memories of my teens.
Odd Couple
Out of Towners
Beast Master
Tootsie
Arthur
Vacation

So many others I'd have to go through my collection.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, here are the five films I have watched more than any others basically to the point where I have occasionally suffered some burnout...

1. Dr. Strangelove - I can't tell you how much I love this picture. Over the years I have learned more and more about it and why Kubrick made it and how his fear of nuclear destruction was not only very real but damn near drove him to move to Australia due to his discovery during his research of the topic that it may have been at the time the safest place to be if Russia and the United States launched an attack on each other. Basically, I've come to feel this film covers most of what is right and wrong with the world and how despite our best intentions, due to our being aware that we exist for only a limited amount of time, we are pretty much obsessed as a species with our own annihilation. It's both dark and hilarious in wonderful ways and stands as, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant films ever made...as an entertainment, satire, and social commentary. Everything wonderful about filmmaking to me is contained in this picture.

2. Apocalypse Now - A friend and I managed to sneak into this picture when I was just 12 years old. I had no idea what it was about at the time but the title intrigued me and I thought it was a horror film about the end of the world. Turned out that's pretty much what it was to me at that point. It seemed to cover some of the same ground as Strangelove except without the laughs. I did not know it was based on Conrad's Heart of Darkness at the time and had not yet read the book but I did feel that the film exposed to me how dark the hearts of men could be. I first purchased this film on VHS and my friends and I watched it over and over and over again. On roads trips in high school and college we would quote from the film constantly. The film to me was never about the Vietnam war but really about, again, how humans as a species go utterly insane when we stand too close to our own true nature. I think that trip up the river is about how any society walks a very fine line between coexistence and utter chaos.

3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - So, watched this every time it was on television as a child. Then got to see it on the big screen in my teens. It was not until I was in my teens that I realized that Clint Eastwood's character is not really a "good" guy and is really just another obsessed mercenary caring little for anybody other than himself and fattening his wallet. In a way the film is a great metaphor for what would become of the United States. Perhaps as an Italian Leone saw this quite clearly and so the three characters in the film just represent our greed and vicious pursuit of cash above all else. Sure, the three characters and their methods may seem a bit different but they are all after the same thing.

4. Jaws - This has been a summer tradition for me pretty much going back to when I saw it in a theater in 1975. Basically, I think I have suffered complete burnout with this film and have taken a break from it. It is not at all a complex story but it has lots of great little moments and the acting in the film is pretty awesome all the way around. Although mostly known as a "horror" film about a very big and very hungry shark the film is really about men coming together to solve a problem. The three leads are all quite different and they all bring different things to the table and they manage to overcome their differences, pool their strengths and win the battle. Now we all know the three leads in the film but Murray Hamilton as the mayor basically steals every scene he is in and gives a performance better than any supporting actor nominated for an academy award in the past 3 decades. Wow, is he awesome in this! So really, this is an ensemble acting piece masquerading as a horror film about a hungry shark.

5. Network - My obsession with this film began in the 1980s. I did not see Network in a theater in 1976. Even if I had I would not have likely grasped how brilliant this picture is. I was a freshman in high school when I first saw this picture and boy did it leave a mark. Basically, it touched upon something that Strangelove and Apocalypse also addressed...that as human beings the line between being sane and absolutely bat shit is mighty thin. Not to mention it perfectly predicted the rise of something like FOX News. We don't get much great satire anymore as it seems to be something people now just do not like. There have been some good ones like Thank You for Smoking or I Heart Huckabees (both of which desperately need a blu-ray) but they mostly go totally ignored by the general public.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
My Fair Lady
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Gone With the Wind
Oklahoma!
South Pacific (1958)
The King and I (1956)
Grease (1978)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Pete's Dragon (1977)
Annie (1982)
The Muppet Movie
Forrest Gump
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Cinderella
The Great Muppet Caper
Return To Oz
Oliver!
Bye Bye Birdie (1963)
Auntie Mame
The Music Man
Gypsy (1962 and 1993)
Alice In Wonderland (1951)
West Side Story
Fiddler on the Roof
Network
Blazing Saddles
Pink Flamingos
Hairspray (1988)
Airplane!
Serial Mom
Female Trouble
All That Jazz
The Producers (1968)
Smile
Robin Hood (1973)
What's Up, Doc?
The Naked Gun
Honey I Shrunk The Kids
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Ed Wood
Soapdish
Desperate Living
Young Frankenstein
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The Jungle Book (1967)
Pollyanna (1960)
The Sword in the Stone (1963)
The Brave Little Toaster
Silent Movie
High Anxiety
Spaceballs
Still waiting on "Spaceballs II - The Search for More Money"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks