January 4th, 2024 Thursday

Library
DVD 64
Bluray 227
4K bluray 515

20240104_161054.jpg

20240104_192517.jpg

20240104_192623.jpg

The last movie of this order should arrive tomorrow and it is The Jackel which I last purchased on laserdisc. I got tired of waiting on the 4K of Armageddon so I updated my DVD of Armageddon. I wouldn't be surprised if I turn around and buy the 4K of Armageddon when it comes out. I thought I owned The Ghost In The Darkness before but honestly can not remember what format it was on if it was laserdisc or DVD. I am thinking I should get The Shadow on Blu-ray the next time I am buying movies.

Movie puchases so far for 2024:
January: 4K Blu-ray (5) - Blu-ray (6) - DVD (0)

Possible shopping list:
  • The Shadow (Blu-ray)
  • The Butterfly Effect (Blu-ray)
  • Kindergarten Cop (4K Blu-ray)
  • Conan: The Barbarian (4K Blu-ray)
  • Conan: The Destroyer (4K Blu-ray)
  • Maverick 1994 (Blu-ray)
  • The Last Castle (4K Blu-ray)
  • Southern Comfort (4K Blu-ray)
  • Silent Night (4K Blu-ray)
  • DragonHeart (4K Blu-ray)
Looking forward to see what gets added to the library in 2024 and I think I will set the 4K goal at 550 due to other things that will be purchased possibly this year. It will be a plus if I break 550 4K titles and I figure that may happen well before 10/1/24. One of the things I am looking forward to is finding out what will be scheduled to come out on 4K Blu-ray after April 23rd ?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This may be what I would be looking at to get into projection. I think I am far to picky to be happy with a entry level projector and I for sure will never be able to afford one of the high end projectors even without the external MadAV tone mapper / scaler and Kalidascape server, rofl.

So like I said it would be a big investment that I might not be able to utilize in an apartment. My Sony 55" OLED has spoiled me so an entry level projector in my mind would be a big downgrade.

Chief Mount.jpg

JVC NP5 Projector.jpg

Stewart Cima 100 Electric Screen.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ordered the following this morning.

Arrow Video
Conan: The Destroyer - 4K Bluray 1/30/24
Carlitos Way - 4K Bluray

Kino Lorber
Kindergarten Cop - 4K Bluray

Amazon
Conan: The Barbarian - 4K Bluray (Sold Out on Arrow Video Site) 1/30/24
Loki Season 1 - 4K Bluray
US Marshal - Blu-ray
Maverick - Blu-ray (The Mel Gibson movie not Top Gun, lol)
Black Widow - 4K Bluray
Coming To America - 4K Bluray

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wait! You finally bought Maverick (1994) and US Marshals (1998) over a decade after their releases? :P I've never liked the latter enough to buy/own it on disc... but do recall the DVD used to be regularly given out for free as part of whatever promo to encourage DVD adoption back in the earlier days of that format, heh -- can't recall if I actually got one for free, but I certainly had tons of the old, original Stargate DVD that way... that my family keeps reminding me, LOL... ;):lol:

Also, didn't you already own the Universal 4K release of Carlito's Way? While the Arrow version might be ever so slightly better PQ-wise, seems like it requires some serious pixel-peeping to see any diff -- I suppose other aspects might be more significantly/notably better, eg. the extras. Can't see myself doubledipping for this one, especially since Arrow releases are never that inexpensive even when on sale like now perhaps...

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will have to check the dvd's in my bedroom but I am thinking I just never got around to getting US Marshals on video. And I also have Maverick but on Laserdisc and I do not think I ever upgraded from that copy. So yes it is about time and there are a few movies I need to update from Laserdisc and HD-DVD.

And I never owned Carlito's Way on any format but I am remedying that by getting the Arrow Video release on 4K Blu-ray. Yes Arrow released tend to be pricey but sometimes you can catch them on sale. And I feel Arrow releases are worth it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Picked up another 100' of speaker wire and an SPL meter and maybe next month I might purchase the brackets to mount my newer larger height speakers which may end up being placed in an Auro recommended location.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My new SPL meter

20240127_120101.jpg

I might be getting the speaker brackets next paycheck and I still need to figure out speaker placement which for some reason is driving me crazy.

New movies arrived today and I am still waiting for Conan: The Barbarian 4K, Conan: The Destroyer 4K, Kindergarten Cop 4K and Carlito's Way in 4K.

20240127_130433.jpg

Already had The Fugitive on 4K bluray. I could sware I had US Marshals on DVD or HD-DVD but I can not find any trace of it anywhere.

20240127_130824.jpg

20240127_131006.jpg

20240127_131017.jpg

20240127_131030.jpg

I have Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2, Trading Places, 48 Hours and still need Beverly Hills Cop 3 when it comes out. Just getting the third title to round off the trilogy as I was not that great but I want the set.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 2024
Movies

Arrow Video
Conan: The Destroyer - 4K Bluray 1/30/24
Carlitos Way - 4K Bluray

Kino Lorber
Kindergarten Cop - 4K Bluray

Amazon
Conan: The Barbarian - 4K Bluray (Sold Out on Arrow Video Site) 1/30/24
Loki Season 1 - 4K Bluray (Delivered)
US Marshal - Blu-ray (Delivered)
Maverick - Blu-ray (The Mel Gibson movie not Top Gun, lol) (Delivered)
Black Widow - 4K Bluray (Delivered)
Coming To America - 4K Bluray (Delivered)

Library
DVD 64
Bluray 229
4K bluray 518

Conan: The Destroyer and Carlito's Way should be here Tuesday 1/30/24 and hopefully Conana The Barbarian will also arrive same day. No idea when Kindergarten Cop will arrive at this time. Saying no thanks to The Marvels and Aquaman: And The Lost Kingdom.

20240127_184828.jpg

February 2024
Red Wing Steel Toe Safety Boots
Speaker Brackets

Movies
Footloose - 4K Blu-ray
Hunger Games: The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes - 4K Blu-ray
Platoon - 4K Blu-ray
Beverly Hills Cop 3 - 4K Blu-ray
The Last Castle - 4K Blu-ray
Dragon Heart - 4K Blu-ray

March 2024

Movies
Aliens - 4K Blu-ray
The Abyss - 4K Blu-ray
True Lies - 4K Blu-ray
Quigley Down Under - 4K Blu-ray
K-19 - 4K Blu-ray
The Manchurian Candidate - 4K Blu-ray

Paint You Wagon - 4K Blu-ray
Hellraiser: Quartet Of Torment Movies 1-4 Set - 4K Blu-ray (UK Release)

April 2024

Lone Survivor - 4K Blu-ray (UK Release)

Motley Crue: The End Live In Los Angeles - 4K Blu-ray (UK Release)
Born On The 4th Of July - 4K Blu-ray (France Release)
King Kong (1976) - 4K Blu-ray

Not sure about after March and not sure what I will upgrade my entry level Polk speakers to in the bedroom. I keep thinking about projection and a decent screen but there are two things. One I do not see a point of getting a low end projector since I feel the picture quality will not be good enough. And two I am scared that if I invest into projection that at some point I will end up in an apartment and will not be able to use the projector set up.

And I will admit I am not sure exactly sure where to locate the height speakers to get the correct immersive experience. I am figuring on using Auro 3D layout as my Marantz SR-8012 has Auro 3D. So I need to figure out if the right side of the room has the space above the window to mount the speaker. So I still have some reading to do and if the layout is not possible then I will figure out placement for Dolby Atmos.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Carlitos Way and Conan: The Destroyer arrived today.

Conan The Destroyer_Arrow 4K.jpg

Carlitos Way_Arrow 4K.jpg

Library
DVD 64
Bluray 229
4K bluray 520

So just waiting for Conon: The Barbarian and Kindergarten Cop both on 4K Blu-ray.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well next week may be the week I purchase the speaker brackets for mounting my Klipsch RP-600M that will be my height speakers. So I will have the same 4 speakers for height that I have for my surrounds. This also means there will be a total of twelve 6 1/2" woofers in the room. The center has 4, the rears have 4 and the heights will have 4. Anyway need to lock down the actual speaker locations as I do not want to mount and then start playing musical locations.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Kindergarten Cop on 4K blu-ra arrived today so I only have one outstanding title yet to arrive that was pre ordered and currently no idea when it will be delivered.

Kindergarten Cop 4K KL.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I ordered Conan The Barbarian 4K blu-ray from Amazon before the release date. And since it is still showing unavailable and no idea when it might be restocked. Ordered it on 1/26 with a release date of 1/30 and now it is 2/5 I canceled it and ordered the movie in a set instead of waiting to see if the single title is restocked. So I will get the Conan The Barbarian & The Destroyer in a box set even though I already have Destroyer in a single release. I might go ahead and buy the single of Barbarian if it becomes available later.

Conan Box Set 4K.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well they where pricy but I think I got the best brackets for what I want to do. They should arrive Friday so all I need to maybe one more spool of 100' of speaker wire and I might redo the speaker binding post plates on the wall behind the a/v rack. I am most likely going to go with the Auro layout minus the voice of god because I do not have that capability with my Marantz SR-8012 surround receiver.

Triad Speaker Mount.jpg

Triad Speaker Mount_2.jpg

Triad Speaker Mount_3.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Purchased the brackets that have already arrived and am now working on custom adapter plates for my Klipsch RP-600M speakers that will be my height speakers.

20240209_172044.jpg

20240209_172100.jpg

20240210_170108.jpg

20240217_090124.jpg

20240215_134157.jpg

So now time to drill the holes where the bracket will attach to the plate and where the plate will have bolts that will go through the back of the cabinets. Figuring this as I go and I may need to make some narrow plates for inside and outside of the cabinet to reduce stress on the cabinet when then are suspended from the ceiling or high up on the wall. Depends on if I go through with a Auro configuration or go Dolby. I also will be going to Home Depot today to look at hardware for this project and pricing material to rebuild a pair of saw horses as I will be making a custom set. Also will be thinking about making a custom cart for my miter saw or I will make a base that will attach to the saw horses.

Thinking about how much longer I will keep the Pioneer Elite SC-05 in use for the bedroom system and if and when that might get upgraded so I have 4K switching for video and upgraded audio codex capability in the bedroom. I could also make a plate to attach a network swith on the back of a audio rack in my room. Or I might get a new type of server rack for the bedroom. Also thinking about if there is anything else I could or want to do with the current living room system. Not sure if I should just give up on projection and go with an 85" display but since I have a 55" Sony OLED the question is would I be happy with an LED display? OLED choices seem to be beyound slim and very exspensive at the 85" size and while there are alot of LED displays that are very inexpensive. I do not see them getting the black levels I can get with my current OLED.

IMG_2985a.jpg

So the only choices I see having if I take the OLED out of the living room and it would end up bring a bedroom tv. These would be the following brands I will consider Samsung, LG and Sony. The following will not be in my a/v system TCL, Hisense, Sharp, Toshiba. Also no actual Chinese brands go into my system. Made in China may be impossible to keep out but an actual Chinese brands I have no interest in. There are so many brands out there so spending my hard earned money with a Chinese company is not what I want to do. Anyway back to the topic of displays I can not believe how inexpensive you can get a display in the 85" range. Some models are priced below $1K.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hearing about the end of Disney Movie Club and that now Sony will be doing distribution and be in charge of transfers of Disney titles which should be a good deal for collectors and buyers of physical media. Sony is well known for very good transfers and packaging plus this should mean use of more Dolby Vision for Disney titles on 4K bluray releases. Supposedly Disney using Sony to distribute titles is said to bring down the cost and that there should be more Disney titles being released since Sony has higher volume of titles released vs Disney. Do not know if this will actually bring down the cost but if more catalog Disney and 20th Century Fox movies make 4K Blu-ray then I say great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks