What's new

How To New Feature - Creating Movie Threads (2 Viewers)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
You all may have noticed the new format of movie threads here, with posters and other info. I installed this add-on yesterday so that we can have this functionality in this forum.

Down the road, i'll be adding similar functionality to the TV area.

To make use of this feature, when starting a new thread, simply paste the link from The Movie Database

If I wanted to start a thread for Jurrassic World: Fallen Kingdom, I would search tmbd.org for that title, and then copy the URL for that page once I found the movie:

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/351286-untitled-jurassic-world-sequel

upload_2018-6-15_7-57-38.png

Then click "Post New Thread" on HTF in the Movies forum, and paste that URL into the thread title box, and click Create Thread:

upload_2018-6-15_7-57-20.png

upload_2018-6-15_7-58-57.png

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'll look into how we can fix that @Tino

As far as adding to an existing thread, a specific group of folks currently has that ability. I will be expanding that to any who want to, so please PM me if you have existing threads you want to modify.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, it looks cool and all, but every graphical addition isn't so great for people with slow connections. In my case, it is no big deal but there are a lot people in both Canada and America who do not have access to high speed connections and large bandwidth.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@Edwin-S - this was considered before we implemented this feature.

The little thumbnail images for each thread in the forum view are about 3kb in size at most, so at the maximum number per page of 30, that's an additional 90kb of page load. Even on the slowest 1mb DSL connection, that adds about .8 seconds to loading the site.

If folks find it's breaking the site, chances are they have much more serious problems elsewhere on the internet.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Yes, this add-on only works for TMDB.org.

I'm looking into the issue of whether you have posted in a thread, and am awaiting a reply from the developer.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've never heard of TMDB before this thread.

This is not a complaint at all, but just an observation. I am way more acquainted with IMDb. But I agree the new formatting is cool.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've never heard of TMDB before this thread.

This is not a complaint at all, but just an observation. I am way more acquainted with IMDb. But I agree the new formatting is cool.
They're different. IMDB is mainly for informational purposes whereas TMDB is used in the background by Kodi [and other Media Center applications] to scrape metadata.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I never heard of TMDB before, either. But I like the idea. IMDB was great years ago, but now it's kind of a mess. I tend to go to Rotten Tomatoes for movie info now, but it's kinda clunky.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
OK... I absolutely do not like this.

Movie poster/images are superfluous and take up too much space - I can read.

Every page link clicked immediately takes you to the bottom - not the top.

How do I disable this for my account?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks