What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (4 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Annie O'Connell's boarding house in Buckskin, Montana, in 1880, is the setting for dramas unfolding for travelers and townies alike. Stories are seen through the eyes of 10-year-old Jody.

Jody "borrows" a gold watch that had belonged to his father and accidentally breaks it. When his mother discovers it missing, she assumes it was stolen, thinks she knows who did it and accuses them of the "theft".

When his good buddy's father is accused of murder Jody seeks help from the town's fortune teller.​

Newspaper editor Ben Newcomb hears a deathbed confession that appears to implicate the mayor in a shooting. Not wanting to make the confession public, Ben goes to the mayor and tries to convince him to clear the air one way or the other.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

This live series featured adaptations of other works (novels, plays, et cetera) plus original works for the show. It was primarily dramas, but a few musicals also were presented. The show is considered one of the major drama series during The Golden Age of Television. Up through episode 1.8, the show alternated with "The Goodyear Theatre" and "The Philco Television Playhouse"; beginning with episode 1.9 to the end of the series in 1957, the show alternated with "The Goodyear Theatre”.

Bunty Perkins has just begun college at Boyden where his antics have already landed him in the Dean's office --- many times --- on day one. Big name stars of the time; Raymond Bailey, (Mr. Drysdale on the Beverly Hillbillies), Madge Blake, (Mrs. Mondello on Leave It to Beaver, Mrs. Cooper on Batman). Setting; Boyden College and an 'inventive' freshman creating trials for the College Dean (Raymond Bailey).

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Law school student and former G.I. Jeffrey Jones works as a private investigator in Los Angeles, California. Being broke, he hangs out at the Golden Bubble, getting advice from Joe the bartender. Michelle is his girlfriend and Lieutenant Doyle his police contact.https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046601/fullcredits/cast?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

A beautiful young woman hires Jones to investigate why her sister is so distraught. But when a suicide note is found and the sister's body is dragged from Hansen Dam, Doyle rules it a suicide. But of course, Jones suspects murder.

Jones saves a woman from jumping off a building. Seems the woman thinks she killed someone and is being blackmailed.​

At the hotel room where he lives, Jones witnesses a woman being strangled by a tall man in the room across the hotel courtyard. As Jones investigates, he finds both the hotel manager and the neighbor to be oddly unhelpful.​

Jones is thrilled when he arrives at his new job site: the home of a wealthy socialite with a pool full of bathing beauties. His joy quickly turns to fear, however, when he learns his job is to protect the woman from a big time mobster.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Ensemble children's show with skits led by host Alice Playten (and her friend named "Me") and random stories told by Whitman Mayo.

This is a 1977 episode of "That's Cat" starring Alice Playten as Alice and too many other productions to mention here. If you’re a fan of Alice Playten you can find a lot more about her on the internet. She worked until 2009 and passed away in 2011. Frank Cala as her sidekick mime named "ME" also played as a bartender in two Love Boat episodes. Special guest star was Whitman Mayo as Grandpa. The theme song was composed and performed by John Sebastian (The Lovin' Spoonful) and was also responsible for the theme song to "Welcome Back Kotter". Created by Giovanna Nigro-Chacon and produced by Susan Cuscuna and Leslie Cooper. As a side note, you will find the first commercial in this episode features puppeteer, Sherry Lewis.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

An adaptation of the same-titled Cary Grant film: George and Anna Rose have two biological children and have adopted two more, and their warm, caring household frequently finds space for yet another youngster in need. Neighbors Ruth and Walter are on hand to offer help.

Anna takes in a newly arrived orphan but attempts to keep George from finding out there is one more person in the house.

S01 E11 Love Thy Neighbor (Apr.07.1962)
Stars Andrew Duggan Peggy McCay Ronnie Dapo

An attractive lady Mona moves in next door and Anna is not very pleased by the attention that she gets from the neighborhood males. Things worsen when Dan tries to make her part of the group's social scene.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

An anthology series usually starring Miss Stanwyck with her character either facing difficulties or overcoming peril. Several of the episodes were pilots, none of them turned into series.

A world-weary gambling woman in the far east is hoping that her sea captain boyfriend will marry her and take her to a romantic island home, yet he always comes up short. When the reds kidnap him, she secures the ransom money by cheating at a high stakes poker game with her old employer.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

An anthology series usually starring Miss Stanwyck with her character either facing difficulties or overcoming peril. Several of the episodes were pilots, none of them turned into series.

A world-weary gambling woman in the far east is hoping that her sea captain boyfriend will marry her and take her to a romantic island home, yet he always comes up short. When the reds kidnap him, she secures the ransom money by cheating at a high stakes poker game with her old employer.

I believe this was the 17th episode of the series, and was also known as "Dragon by the Tail".

Gary "I'd be in for this series if it was released in HD" O.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I believe this was the 17th episode of the series, and was also known as "Dragon by the Tail".

Gary "I'd be in for this series if it was released in HD" O.
Gary if you look at the end credits of this video, it lines up with the Cast at IMDb. The Cast is different for Dragon by the Tail (1961). I cannot verify any of this because I haven't watched either episode.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gary if you look at the end credits of this video, it lines up with the Cast at IMDb. The Cast is different for Dragon by the Tail (1961). I cannot verify any of this because I haven't watched either episode.

I see that. Not sure what to make of it. I thought Anna May Wong was only in one episode of the series. The S1.E0 threw me on IMDB.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I see that. Not sure what to make of it. I thought Anna May Wong was only in one episode of the series. The S1.E0 threw me on IMDB.
Yes the S1E0 threw me too. Why is there and episode 0. Was it the pilot of the series? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

The Anna May Wong credits confirm the two appearances in Miss Stanwyck's series, in fact her very last film credits. The video itself originates from the The Gallery of Anna May Wong YouTube channel which features videos regarding just about everything you ever wanted to know about Anna May Wong.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yes the S1E0 threw me too. Why is there and episode 0. Was it the pilot of the series? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

"Three episodes that Miss Stanwyck starred in were possible series' for herself. One of the three pilots were [sic] "The Miraculous Journey of Tadpole Chan" which aired Nov 14, 1960, in which she played the adventurous Josephine Little. The audience was asked to write in if they liked the idea and the response was so overwhelming that two more episodes were made, however this series never went into full production."

The other two episodes in question were ""Dragon by the Tail" (1961 01 30) and "Adventure on Happiness Street" (1961 03 20). There's no mention of "Hong Kong and Little Jo", but it might've been a fourth episode in this sub-series that never aired on NBC, but was included in a syndication package.

It's also possible that the story has been jumbled. "Hong Kong and Little Jo" might've been originally produced as a pilot for a Josephine Little series with Stanwyck, but didn't sell. And "Dragon by the Tail" was a second try that aired as a backdoor pilot in the anthology show. And, as a result, "Hong Kong and Little Jo" got retroactively slipped in the package when the show went into syndication.

It's all a guess on my part, though.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

This NBC spinoff of "The Danny Thomas Show" featured the character of Jose Jiminez, a nasally sounding Latin American bellhop at a New York hotel

After completing his income tax form, he decides he's so happy with his new country, he'll add a tip to show his appreciation. However, such an unheard of gesture puts the IRS in a state of turmoil, and they beg him to take it back. In desperation, they even persuade Mr. Phillips to do an amateur psychoanalysis on him.

Mr. Phillips requires all employees donate blood to the Red Cross. Only two squeamish babies try to get out of it-- Glick and Jiminez.

Hotel security man Glick purchases a room full of old army surplus equipment and accidentally releases nitric oxide into the hotel's air vent.

The ubiquitous character actor on a season 2 episode, near the end of the show's run​

Jonathan Harris On Playing Mr. Phillips On "The Bill Dana Show"

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

This NBC spinoff of "The Danny Thomas Show" featured the character of Jose Jiminez, a nasally sounding Latin American bellhop at a New York hotel

After completing his income tax form, he decides he's so happy with his new country, he'll add a tip to show his appreciation. However, such an unheard of gesture puts the IRS in a state of turmoil, and they beg him to take it back. In desperation, they even persuade Mr. Phillips to do an amateur psychoanalysis on him.

Mr. Phillips requires all employees donate blood to the Red Cross. Only two squeamish babies try to get out of it-- Glick and Jiminez.

Hotel security man Glick purchases a room full of old army surplus equipment and accidentally releases nitric oxide into the hotel's air vent.

The ubiquitous character actor on a season 2 episode, near the end of the show's run​

Jonathan Harris On Playing Mr. Phillips On "The Bill Dana Show"

Thanks for posting. Jonathan Harris talks the same way as when he played Dr. Zachary Smith on Lost In Space.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Dinah hosted this 15 minute live musical and variety show, two nights a week. It led to her own hour long show in 1956.

Episode (1956)

Guest Stars: The Skylarks. This was during the period when Dinah was seen twice a week- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:30pm(et), just before "THE HUNTLEY-BRINKLEY REPORT". - "CROSSROADS", Fridays, 8:30pm(et), ABC. Joel Aldred speaks for Chevrolet. (Barry I. Grauman)

You can see more Dinah Shore here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks