What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Paramount Press Release: Bonanza: The Complete Series (DVD) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's good to hear (that the all-in-one will have the same bonuses as the volume releases [albeit only the episode names will be listed]).

BTW, that "Denver McKee" outing had great game show host Bob Barker (him of Truth or Consequences and TPIR fame [I believe he's known more for TPIR]) playing a bit part; he was Mort, who competed with Little Joe (Michael Landon) for the affections of a young woman named Connie, as I understand it.

Here's the episode:

Younger folk would know him from the movie/film Happy Gilmore

1679897835614.png
:cool: ...

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Now that bonanza is complete can we expect streaming at some point? I suspect others like rawhide may stream eventually as well since they now all have HD files sitting somewhere waiting to be uploaded.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Younger folk would know him from the movie/film Happy Gilmore

View attachment 179791 :cool: ...

You bet-- I remember that fight, and also remember Bob Barker saying how it made TPIR more popular, because a lot of college students wanted to come and become contestants (may be mistaken, but that's what I remember him saying).

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
This should have been remastered and released on Blu-ray.
Imagine how much money they would have saved by making these blu rays.
these giant DVD box sets are ridiculous. You'd need half as many discs.
Turbine in Germany makes tv sets as "SD on Blu ray"- makes so much more sense.
obviously would be better if it was just HD Blu-rays! But at least with standard definition on Blu-ray you're making less discs.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Imagine how much money they would have saved by making these blu rays.
these giant DVD box sets are ridiculous. You'd need half as many discs.
Turbine in Germany makes tv sets as "SD on Blu ray"- makes so much more sense.
obviously would be better if it was just HD Blu-rays! But at least with standard definition on Blu-ray you're making less discs.
I believe I read that it is against the blu-ray spec for the main title of a blu-ray disk to be SD content. The goal being to prevent consumer confusion as to the quality of the contents on a disk containing the blu-ray label. That is my recollection at least. Turbine might not care about that, if true, but a big studio like CBS/Paramount might want to follow the spec. I'm not saying I disagree with what you are saying in principle, but I don't recall any major studio going the SD route on blu-ray to save space or disk count, so there likely is a reason.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I believe I read that it is against the blu-ray spec for the main title of a blu-ray disk to be SD content. The goal being to prevent consumer confusion as to the quality of the contents on a disk containing the blu-ray label. That is my recollection at least. Turbine might not care about that, if true, but a big studio like CBS/Paramount might want to follow the spec. I'm not saying I disagree with what you are saying in principle, but I don't recall any major studio going the SD route on blu-ray to save space or disk count, so there likely is a reason.
Very valid point ,I didn't think of that and the blu-ray standard . But I would still love for a slimmed up set even in only SD .

Japan did it for Full House but the selling price of that set is unrealistic . Eagle vision has done it in the USA for concerts and state right on the cover SD-Blu-ray , I like this and the fact there is a DTS HD master track .

I was considering Dynasty from germany But I have a feeling we will finally get a real blu-ray set of Dynasty and Dallas here so I'm holding out .

The Bonanza set doesn't make much sense to me , I do not 101 dvds of a tv show (my god) If it's in HD please put out a nice bluray box set . Good thing I bought the little house on the prairies blu rays with slipboxes of the first six seasons done very well , The rest are MOD which is fine with me since they weren't that good . But another goofy move , They release a complete LHOTP dvd box set and not on blu .

The whole tv on dvd and bluray is a mess , For some strange reason a lot of people don't care about what tv shows look like in quality which to me is absurd . More than 50% of tv shows were filmed and deserve the full HD treatment , They would look better then we have ever seen or can imagine, which is one of the funnest parts of revisiting old tv shows . And I still stand by my feeling on video taped shows , They too can look great if a little effort goes in , I'm willing to pay for my favorite tv shows as I'm sure many others are . I'm so sick of just fining garbage millcreek dvd box sets at grocery stores like its trash (with the horrific logo as seen on tv ), Or the only other way to watch your favorite tv show is on cable tv in SD with the picture looking worse than it did on a tube tv and with a giant logo of the channel edited and 9 minutes of commercial for a 21 minutes show .

I have also noticed many saying just stream them they look better and some do look better but there edited , many shows that say 22min are cut , most half hour shows were about 24-25 min. I like tv as much as movies . I grew up watching much more tv shows since they were in the house everyday . I love that stuff . Love getting old movies as well especially in 4k . Were getting to see the movies now better than when they were in theaters .

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
This doesn't make sense logically, but it's happening...

The upcoming Bonanza complete series is listed at $220 American on Amazon, but listed for pre-order on Amazon Canada today at $205 Canadian (current exchange rate is $1 Canadian to 74 cents U.S.)...so, the Amazon Canada price is equivalent to $152 American. Who knows how the pricing algorithm, apparently inverted, came up with this...as $220 American should exchange to $297 Canadian!

I currently have seasons 1 to 9 in the original CBS/P DVD releases. Previous to the news about the series being finished and with a complete series set coming, I was contemplating getting season 10 and stopping there. I'd been watching the price for the Via Vision season 10 set from Australia, considerably more affordable than the two volumes released for that season by Paramount.

I want the remastered season 2 redux set, which lists at around $50, and would have likely purchased that new season set independently.

I'm left with locking-in my pre-order price just to save money on what I'd planned to do for an incomplete run of Bonanza up to season 10...and get seasons' 11 to 14 as a bonus!

I have no memory of having seen the last three seasons of Bonanza during it's original run as the show faded in the homestretch up to 1972...so whatever this long running series had become by that time will make those episodes a blind-buy for me.

I'm locked-in for the pre-order price of $152 American, with 7 weeks to the May 23 street date!

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Very valid point ,I didn't think of that and the blu-ray standard . But I would still love for a slimmed up set even in only SD .

Japan did it for Full House but the selling price of that set is unrealistic . Eagle vision has done it in the USA for concerts and state right on the cover SD-Blu-ray , I like this and the fact there is a DTS HD master track .

I was considering Dynasty from germany But I have a feeling we will finally get a real blu-ray set of Dynasty and Dallas here so I'm holding out .

The Bonanza set doesn't make much sense to me , I do not 101 dvds of a tv show (my god) If it's in HD please put out a nice bluray box set . Good thing I bought the little house on the prairies blu rays with slipboxes of the first six seasons done very well , The rest are MOD which is fine with me since they weren't that good . But another goofy move , They release a complete LHOTP dvd box set and not on blu .

The whole tv on dvd and bluray is a mess , For some strange reason a lot of people don't care about what tv shows look like in quality which to me is absurd . More than 50% of tv shows were filmed and deserve the full HD treatment , They would look better then we have ever seen or can imagine, which is one of the funnest parts of revisiting old tv shows . And I still stand by my feeling on video taped shows , They too can look great if a little effort goes in , I'm willing to pay for my favorite tv shows as I'm sure many others are . I'm so sick of just fining garbage millcreek dvd box sets at grocery stores like its trash (with the horrific logo as seen on tv ), Or the only other way to watch your favorite tv show is on cable tv in SD with the picture looking worse than it did on a tube tv and with a giant logo of the channel edited and 9 minutes of commercial for a 21 minutes show .

I have also noticed many saying just stream them they look better and some do look better but there edited , many shows that say 22min are cut , most half hour shows were about 24-25 min. I like tv as much as movies . I grew up watching much more tv shows since they were in the house everyday . I love that stuff . Love getting old movies as well especially in 4k . Were getting to see the movies now better than when they were in theaters .
I'm actually taking matters into my own hands- and have been upscaling all my TV DVD sets with Topaz VEAI.
Really thrilled with the results- considering that many of these shows don't have chance in Hades of ever getting the HD treatment.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm actually taking matters into my own hands- and have been upscaling all my TV DVD sets with Topaz VEAI.
Really thrilled with the results- considering that many of these shows don't have chance in Hades of ever getting the HD treatment.
The show for which this thread is about and that you responded within already has had HD masters created. While it is still to be seen whether they make their way into a physical release, they most definitely will be available at some point for streaming. Personally, I'll wait for the real thing. I've already been surprised by some great classic shows becoming accessible in HD to worry about compromises. Reminds me of all the shows I captured, edited, authored, and burned to disk when not available commercially, to just become available commercially in better quality at a later date. Hope it works out for you, but I've been there, done that, and won't do it again.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
The show for which this thread is about and that you responded within already has had HD masters created. While it is still to be seen whether they make their way into a physical release, they most definitely will be available at some point for streaming. Personally, I'll wait for the real thing. I've already been surprised by some great classic shows becoming accessible in HD to worry about compromises. Reminds me of all the shows I captured, edited, authored, and burned to disk when not available commercially, to just become available commercially in better quality at a later date. Hope it works out for you, but I've been there, done that, and won't do it again.
of course, I was referencing other material that do not have HD editions.
Yes, you can wait and hope... But shows like ACTION (1999), ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY, JR. (1993) NEWSRADIO (1995), THE TICK (2001), or MILLENNIUM (1996) will not be getting any streaming in HD or a Blu ray release...probably EVER. (doing a new transfer costs money)
...and when shows DO end up on a streaming service in HD- they are often butchered completely (BUFFY, FRIENDS), or they are cropped from their original aspect ratio (M*A*S*H, SEINFELD).
I won't get into poor bitrates of streaming material- But their alteration of the source material is completely unacceptable.
I agree that it is prudent to wait on more high profile titles that you know have a decent chance of getting an HD release (like FRASIER recently released on Blu ray)- the titles that I like to upscale are the ones that I KNOW will never get the HD treatment. They are just too far down the food chain for anyone to bother to make an HD transfer.
The real thing is ALWAYS prefereble.
But, we know that there are mountains of material that just will never make the jump (TV Shows AND films). The cost to benefit is just not there. (A Blu ray set of FRASIER will probably make money- a new transfer and blu ray set of BRISCO COUNTY would not).

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
of course, I was referencing other material that do not have HD editions.
Yes, you can wait and hope... But shows like ACTION (1999), ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY, JR. (1993) NEWSRADIO (1995), THE TICK (2001), or MILLENNIUM (1996) will not be getting any streaming in HD or a Blu ray release...probably EVER. (doing a new transfer costs money)
...and when shows DO end up on a streaming service in HD- they are often butchered completely (BUFFY, FRIENDS), or they are cropped from their original aspect ratio (M*A*S*H, SEINFELD).
I won't get into poor bitrates of streaming material- But their alteration of the source material is completely unacceptable.
I agree that it is prudent to wait on more high profile titles that you know have a decent chance of getting an HD release (like FRASIER recently released on Blu ray)- the titles that I like to upscale are the ones that I KNOW will never get the HD treatment. They are just too far down the food chain for anyone to bother to make an HD transfer.
The real thing is ALWAYS prefereble.
But, we know that there are mountains of material that just will never make the jump (TV Shows AND films). The cost to benefit is just not there. (A Blu ray set of FRASIER will probably make money- a new transfer and blu ray set of BRISCO COUNTY would not).
But it isn't all about whether a blu-ray would be profitable or not. When it comes to a physical media release there is both transfer costs and product costs, will it sell, won't it sell types of decisions. From a streaming perspective it comes down to two things, transfer to HD (if warranted based on it being film) and benefit going forward from syndication on streaming services, or just let the product languish and getting nothing going forward, because at some point SD won't be viable anymore.

Granted, there are the concerns of aspect ratio cropping. In that case, people will have to make a choice, cropped HD or OAR SD. SD after AI isn't HD, so while some may find it an improvement over the original SD, some will still prefer true HD, even if cropped. Also, not all cropping is the same. Badly cropped loses 25% of the image, but if image can be retained from the sides the cropping can be more like 15%, which isn't all that bad.

Not to forget, if you can apply AI technology, so can the studios. So, if they don't want to transfer to HD, or if the elements came from video instead of film, they could always apply AI technologies, for example "Night Court", and I have to assume they will have access to better capabilities then the common consumer to do it.

If you have favorite titles you are concerned about, go for it. I've just been down a similar road and have plenty of content to last me until more becomes available.

Last thing, AI isn't perfect. For static images where you can dial in the configuration to match an image it can do wonders. However, like any tool used on video, finding the best settings to use across 10 of 1000's of images can also result in its own issues. Just my thoughts.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That will happen down the road I bet - at least they finished the series
Dealing with Bonanza was almost as large as the Gunsmoke series, in size. it must be a "budget" decision rather than a "marketing" one. You'd think going straight to BD box set would be the best course of action but...maybe they'er going to release single seasons in BD later?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks