What's new

Ring Pro Doorbell (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone using Ring's newer v3 doorbell (w/ replaceable? battery and 5ghz wifi, etc)?

Just noticed Amazon offering to bundle their 5" Echo Show for free.

Wondering what/if they improved besides the obvious new bells-and-whistles. In particular, is it more responsive w/ better motion-detect... to work more as desired for video doorbell?

Quickly scanning recent Amazon reviews didn't look promising...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What are the alternatives? Currently or anticipated? I’m thinking of replacing my Ring.

The downside...Ring security is reviewed as the best DIY security system and I wanted to install a system this year.

I know this is an older thread but I purchased this a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it overall. No subscription fees unless you opt in for cloud storage, local storage via micro SD up to 128GB and full RTSP support for use with Blue Iris or similar platforms. There is an updated version coming soon that will increase local storage to 256GB and add support for the newer H.265 compression algorithm.

I don't know what objective criteria was used to crown Ring the best but, unless you opt for their subscription service, the device is limited, which is why I never even considered it. Even with the subscription you're reliant on unreliable Internet for these advanced features. Ditto for Nest.

Personally, I’ve minimized my use of Google products. Their fundamental mission is to collect data, including personal info, and use it for advertising.
I understand this sentiment but the data privacy battle is over for all practical purposes and we as consumers lost. If you interact with the modern world in any way your privacy has already been compromised to the point of it being a non-issue IMO. There are cameras everywhere. Our banks, our healthcare providers, the credit bureaus and who knows how many other organizations already know practically everything there is to know about us and, since they don't always do a great job of safe guarding the information they "collect," God knows where else it may exist. In Google's case, at least their sole motive [for now anyway] is targeted advertising. If I were going to worry about an organization it would be governments, not Google.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's a link in his post, Dave. You quoted it.

It looks like a nice doorbell (even uses 5G!). I kinda like the 180-degree view idea, too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m still waiting for something equal or better than Ring, probably something that uses Apple iCloud storage.

These standalone doorbells, nothing against them. But for me, from the product pages, I get no confidence they solve the problems I care about (motion activation, cloud storage for video access away from home).

As for subscription pricing... $30/year is literal pocket change. I just don’t care.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’m still waiting for something equal or better than Ring, probably something that uses Apple iCloud storage.

These standalone doorbells, nothing against them. But for me, from the product pages, I get no confidence they solve the problems I care about (motion activation, cloud storage for video access away from home).

As for subscription pricing... $30/year is literal pocket change. I just don’t care.

Fair points. In my case it's not so much the cost of the subscription. I just don't like the idea of being dependent on someone else's network to access my content. I'm already having enough trouble with Smartthings in that area. You can setup your own DVR system using something like Blue Iris and have most of the Ring's features [and lots of additional ones] at no added cost and, more importantly, under your own control. Blue Iris has a learning curve for sure but, like anything else, a little effort goes a long way.

Also, the DB1 I linked does offer cloud storage, it just supplements it with a local micro SD option. No reason you couldn't use both for redundancy. The company that makes this particular product is a subsidiary of Hikvision, one of the largest players in the field.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This gets into the preference of whether I want video doorbells to be a hobby or an appliance. :) I want the appliance. I think you’re more into the hobby of doing the research, figuring out how to run the system, etc. And I get that. I’ve got another friend who is into home-hosted, self-managed home security systems.

If there was a Ring-like no-effort product with all the privacy aspects of these standalone systems, I’d be interested. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This gets into the preference of whether I want video doorbells to be a hobby or an appliance. :) I want the appliance. I think you’re more into the hobby of doing the research, figuring out how to run the system, etc. And I get that. I’ve got another friend who is into home-hosted, self-managed home security systems.

If there was a Ring-like no-effort product with all the privacy aspects of these standalone systems, I’d be interested. :)

You got me there. I'm a DIY'er all day long. I know you are too in some areas but time is limited so somethings you just want it to be plug & play. I get myself in too deep at times because I try to take on too much.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My Ring Pro died today. Cause of Death unknown.

setting aside Rings questionable social policies...its motion detection has been getting worse and worse for us. So I’m not feeling locked in to buy Ring again, unless it’s the best still.

What would you buy today?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
My Ring Pro died today. Cause of Death unknown.

setting aside Rings questionable social policies...its motion detection has been getting worse and worse for us. So I’m not feeling locked in to buy Ring again, unless it’s the best still.

What would you buy today?
Google Nest Doorbell has worked flawlessly for me since I installed it August 15th 2018. I have no subscription. It works fine when the temperature go below minus 20 celcius too, even though that's out of the guaranteed operating temperature range.
IMG_0088.png

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I will be disabling. I don't trust ANY company to run a network on my network. That includes Xfinity WiFi and Amazon. On an unrelated note, my original Ring Pro died, or at least it made everything magenta through the camera, so I replaced it with a new one. They now come with the wedge adapters, use a security screw for the cover, and have quite a few other build differences.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d found the setting for my echo dot was on, and disabled it.

I’ve ordered a Logitech Circle Doorbell - just launched two weeks ago - to replace my dead Ring Pro. I’m happy to get away from Amazon Ring’s social policy issues built around their home security devices.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I’d found the setting for my echo dot was on, and disabled it.

I’ve ordered a Logitech Circle Doorbell - just launched two weeks ago - to replace my dead Ring Pro. I’m happy to get away from Amazon Ring’s social policy issues built around their home security devices.
I started looking at their products, and saw the plug mount adapter - they need one like this that has a bulb socket, so you can screw it into an existing floodlight to have a floodlight style camera, not to mention at my house outlets are at ground level and floodlights are up high - where a camera would do the most good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks