What's new

TCM/Fathom 2019 (1 Viewer)

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Are there ever additions to the schedule? I only became aware that these were being shown not too far away from me earlier last year, so I'm not a long-time follower.

Wondering if I'm wasting my time checking the schedule from time to time, since I don't think I've seen anything added to the calendar yet.

Saving Private Ryan & Forrest Gump have been added fairly recently.

When you go to www.fathomevents.com go browse->categories->classics and that list everything TCM & non TCM.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
The Fathom screening of Gone With the Wind was their most successful screening yet; it grossed 2.3 million. The problem with the screening was that many theatres did not stop the intermission to accommodate the audience. My theatre did, but many just let the digital package run. The package itself was ugly ,yellow PQ, but you can overlook that for the story. But a 5 minute intermission is inexcusable.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not TCM, but the Fathom website now has listings for the original four Batman films from Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher being screened in May. This is presumably for Batman's 80th anniversary.

The problem is that all of them are priced as events at $12.50 apiece + tax where applicable, which is standard for Fathom but way higher than a normal ticket price. I have never seen these on the big screen -- I only got into Batman when Batman Begins was released -- and I would welcome the opportunity to see the Burton ones theatrically, but not for extra money, especially both in the same week for extra money.

I'm happy that Fathom is having success with its runs of old movies, because I think there should be a space for older movies to be able to return to theaters, but I'm not a fan of being asked to pay premium pricing for old movies.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
$12.50 is very close to the $11.70 which is what a regular movie ticket costs in my area and much less than the $16.49 NY or $15.49 in LA.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
@Wayne_j : For you, that would be a better deal then. But here, a matinee ticket is $8.15 including tax. The Fathom tickets work out to $13.59 with tax, so that's a $5.44 increase over the standard ticket cost. It used to be even more until the theater recently raised their ticket prices. (For most of last year, matinee ticket was $7.61, but Fathom was still $13.59.)

This happens because Fathom is priced the same nationwide instead of adjusting their prices based on what market they're in. So, you get markets where it's lower (like NY or LA) and you also get markets where it's higher. I happen to live in one of the markets where it's higher. @Josh Steinberg and I have previously discussed this in some other thread.

I will sometimes pay the $13.59 if I really, really, really love the film, but usually not. I went to The Wizard of Oz because my theater overrode Fathom and offered it for the standard ticket price. For Batman, they are charging Fathom prices, and I'm not going to pay extra, especially not twice in one week for both of the Burton films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Looks like tickets are $7.

Now that is how you price a return engagement of an older film. Fair and reasonable and taking into account that it is an older title that is widely available on disc and streaming and cable. I don't have a Regal near me, but good for them.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went to the Goonies last night, tickets were actually only $5 with a Regal Crown Club card and you get a digital coupon for a $5 popcorn/soda combo. I sat in the first stadium seating row and the film looked and sounded great, just like a movie from the mid 80's should look.

Unfortunately unlike Fathom Events they did show several trailers in front of the movie.

Tomorrow I am going to the Ben-Hur Fathom Event.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went to Ben Hur today. Unfortunately when I entered the theater instead of the Fathom pre-show they had a black screen with a white mouse pointer. I was waiting on a pizza so I went out and told the ticket takers who paged management. When I got back to the theater Scott Mantz kept appearing for a few seconds at a time. When it was show time they played the Regal logo and then the introduction by Ben Mankiewicz began followed by Ben_hur. There was a 10 minute intermission. The MGM Camera 65 footage was excellent.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local arthouse (the only theater within 2 hours of here that can screen 70mm) just booked Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm for two shows in June. This will be on their largest screen and presented properly. If I went to see it in September at the Fathom screening, it would be in on a smaller screen like my multiplex always uses for Fathom stuff, and it will be letterboxed rather than filling the entire screen.

I'm not sure why anyone local would choose the Fathom showing under these circumstances.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from the True Grit Fathom Event. This was my first time seeing the original 1969 version having previously seen the 2010 Coen Brother remake. I liked this movie quite a bit, but the picture looked like it was a bit too strongly DNR'd.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just purchased True Grit from iTunes and it has far fewer signs of DNR than in the theater today. I don't know if they did a new scan and added DNR or if something was up with my theater.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure why anyone local would choose the Fathom showing under these circumstances.

Probably for the same reasons that some people will pay more for something on Amazon rather than going to a different site: people are creatures of habit and many are content to keep to their routine. And for others still, movie theaters other than the local big brand multiplex just aren’t on their radar. Fathom is probably aiming more for people who strictly attend their local multiplex but who don’t participate in the movie scene of a local area.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Fathom is probably aiming more for people who strictly attend their local multiplex but who don’t participate in the movie scene of a local area.

Good point.

The two theaters (the Cinemark which does Fathom shows, and the arthouse which does its own thing) are about five minutes apart by car. I would hope most people know that they're both there, but if there is anyone who doesn't, they're welcome to pay more money for Fathom's inferior presentation. I just bought my ticket for the 70mm art house showing today. They book it in 70mm roughly once a year and it sells out every time. I can't wait to see it again.

Also, my arthouse has booked a showing of To Kill A Mockingbird for Father's Day, so I got that ticket today as well. I missed the Fathom presentation of that earlier this year because I was at a concert during that, but the arthouse will present it better anyway, so that worked out nicely. As with Lawrence, Mockingbird is programmed on the largest screen and won't be lazily letterboxed.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is better Fathom show classic movies than not which would leave vast stretches of the country without theaters showing classics. If a local theater does a better job showing them then go to those showings, but if not something at least adequately done is better than nothing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is better Fathom show classic movies than not which would leave vast stretches of the country without theaters showing classics. If a local theater does a better job showing them then go to those showings, but if not something at least adequately done is better than nothing.

Absolutely. I wasn't meaning to criticize Fathom for doing what they're doing. I've gone to their screenings in the past when they are the only ones showing that particular film.

I just think that in this particular case, here, in this specific circumstance, where we have the choice between Lawrence in 70mm on a huge screen and Lawrence letterboxed in digital on a smaller screen, the choice is obviously not Fathom.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Today I saw Steel Magnolias for what I think was my first time. My mother and I enjoyed it very much. The presentation was good but there was a small streak of blue towards the bottom of the screen for the entire movie. I think the projector needs a calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks